Thaivisa Cliches

November Rain

It seems like many of the same subjects come up again & again, on TV, in one guise or another, which is predictable, if you think about it, as we have many similar experiences or questions.

But are there any thread subjects or responses that members come out with, time after time, that make you angry? Or want to throw your hands up in despair?

Please don't mention any particular member or thread, just the cliche.

Mine are: All Thai men are lazy, alcoholic wasters. (Oh, and cowards - forgot that one!)

If you don't like it, go home.

Any thread that stereotypes women (of any nationality)

So, anyone else bothered by any TV cliches? :o

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the usual ones about how all Thai women are just out for money, all western women are fat and bossy, and all western men came to Thailand for prostitutes. :D

Double pricing

Tipping

Newspaper crime reports, especially where a foreigner of Western origin was involved, without *ANY* consistent information whatsoever, however this information deficit is usually quickly made up by the alert readership

Thaksin, Prem & the junta (Great name for a rock band)

Western food / restaurants

Domestic issues with the neighbours (Can I poison their dog? etc.)

My thai girl is higher class than your Thai girl

The economy (Read: Exchange rates)

Beer.

Edited by Sanpatong

Just the usual ones about how all Thai women are just out for money, all western women are fat and bossy, and all western men came to Thailand for prostitutes. :D

All the same old liberal crap about the U.S., Israel and Tony Blair. :D

If you make a generalization about Thai culture you’re a racist.

If you claim not to be a sexpat, then you are self righteous and a liar.

If you don’t spend 100,000B a month you’re a Cheap Charlie

Or if you if you even make a comment about wealthy arrogance you are both envious and a Cheap Charlie.

And, Land of Smiles.

Double pricing

Tipping

Newspaper crime reports, especially where a foreigner of Western origin was involved, without *ANY* consistent information whatsoever, however this information deficit is usually quickly made up by the alert readership

Thaksin, Prem & the junta (Great name for a rock band)

Western food / restaurants

Domestic issues with the neighbours (Can I poison their dog? etc.)

My thai girl is higher class than your Thai girl

The economy (Read: Exchange rates)

Beer.

So just about everything then for you... not much point being a member is there? :o

Hi November Rain,

I have to be careful here because there's a lot that makes my hair stand up whenever I'm on TV.

I hate it that members claim to be one thing on a certain topic and then another on a different topic.

I hate the cruelty of some members be it against people or animals.

I hate it that certain members launch an all out attack without any reservation when they can't win an argument.

I hate it when one of the mod's exercises his/her power to close a topic without legitimate reason.

On the other hand, if you need some info that's hard to find otherwise, TV can be a godsend.

cheers

onzestan

Hi November Rain,

I have to be careful here because there's a lot that makes my hair stand up whenever I'm on TV.

I hate it that members claim to be one thing on a certain topic and then another on a different topic.

I hate the cruelty of some members be it against people or animals.

I hate it that certain members launch an all out attack without any reservation when they can't win an argument.

I hate it when one of the mod's exercises his/her power to close a topic without legitimate reason.

On the other hand, if you need some info that's hard to find otherwise, TV can be a godsend.

cheers

onzestan

The mods aren't THAT bad here. I've seen forums where the moderators will lay down the banhammer because they're losing an argument. :o Other than that, not much really annoys me about TV. I think for a forum, is has a good mix of locals and farang, with varied opinions on interesting topics. The number of trolls here is quite low too. I guess my one qualm was that I was asked to change my avatar because 'this is a family forum' and it was not appropriate, when I later discovered this emoticon: :D

...riiiiight. At least I wasn't banned.

The assumption that newbies to Thaivisa are new to Thailand.

That white men living in Thailand with a Thai wife aren't able to get a girlfriend or wife in their own country.

The hang 'em high, throw away the key brigade (yes, you know who you are).

Any and all posts by a certain klown.

Edited by Sir Burr

Posts that describe men as misoginists

And spell it wrong as well. :o

Threads like this one, probably.

Threads like "Where can I get non-chafing pvc bicycle clips in Sisaket?" type stuff.

Nothing much gets me angry on here. Its all entertainment.

all the asumption that oldtimers are better then newcomers

the fact that some people don't want repeated posts, but they have nothing to post or write

the very different censorship depending on the moderator

the asumptions that all men here are for prostitutes but also the asumptions that nobody is here for them

preconceived ideas on other asean countries and the idea that only LoS is good in SEA

People who write (type) things that they wouldn't be able to say to your face....And use of "MTG"

Posts that complain about people writing things they wouldn't say to another's face.

People who take it all sooooooooo seriously.

First I'd like to say that there is not much to complain about here. It's full of interesting topic and information.

But since someone asks:

The theory that there is a "conspiracy" against farang in Thailand

The posters that are quick to throw people out of Thailand for any reason.

the fact that we (including me) always focus on what's bad and rarely on what's good here.