Jump to content

what visa do I need?


Recommended Posts

i am 73, want to stay in tailand at least 90-104 days.....do not know what visa I need also before use to mail in money order with application...how is that done now....please do not say "go to visa website".. I have done this....I need to know exactly which visa is required.  I am a USA citizen with valid passport.

Edited by billybog
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

But this is exactly what you need to do. "go to visa website" and apply for a retirement visa

you have done exactly what I asked NOT TO BE DONE.......never did I say retirement visa.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your best option is probably a tourist visa, which can be either single or multiple entry.  A tourist visa allows you to stay 60 days in Thailand, then you can extend that for another 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand.

 

If you kept your trip to 90 days or less, I would just get a single entry tourist visa and extend that in Thailand.

 

If you will stay longer than 90 days, I would get a multiple entry tourist visa, and then on or before 60 days make a short trip to a neighbouring country.  When you return to Thailand you will get another 60 days for a total of 120.  With this option you will also not have to visa an immigration office in Thailand which can be a nightmare.

  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP, for approx 100 days you need to exit Thailand at some point .

 

Thinking a multi entry tourist visa is over kill.

A SETV would provide 60 days with the option of 30 day extension. 

For longer than 90 days you would need to do a border bounce for a visa  empty entry 30 days.

 

Where would you be located in Thailand? 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When planning to stay +90-104 days as you wrote, you will always have to do a 'border hop' as a 60-day Tourist Visa only allows a one time extension of 30 days (added to the expiry date of the Permission to stay you will receive on entering Thailand).  Doing a same-day border-hop will provide you with a 30-day VisaExempt Permission to stay, which also can be extended again with an additional 30-days at any local Thai Imm Office.  So the above would provide you with 150 days in Thailand. 

Note that if you plan to stay max 120 days, that there is not even a need to apply for the 60-day Tourist Visa, as you can simply enter Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa).  Thai border immigration will provide you on entry with a 30-days Permission to stay which can be extended on the spot at any Thai Imm Office for 30 days (costs 1.900,- THB).  Then do a border-hop, and repeat the above.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love It 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Or you can come "visa exempt"... if you decide to stay past 30 days without making a couple of trips to other countries just go to an agent and get extensions... a good agent is worth their weight in gold when it comes to not worrying about any of the details.

Are you an agent? Why would you need an agent to make a 30 day extension that is easy to do and cost 2k. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

No I am not an agent... I offered advice to him if he wants to save time and not worry about it and is not a broke dick like most of the Anti Agent crowd on this forum.

I'm not a broke xxxx, I'm also not a xxxx enough to give my money away for a simple visit to immigration. I'm also not scared of a visit to immigration enough to "worry" about them.

He'd probably waste more time finding and visiting an agent than going to Immigration.

I'd be more scared the agent would loose my Passport.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He'd probably waste more time finding and visiting an agent than going to Immigration.

I'd be more scared the agent would loose my Passport

The suggestion of using an agent is reasonable, especially if mobility is an issue.

Also depending on the immigration office .

 

Find agent online, not difficult. Most have a pick up drop off service. 

Up to the individual.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You say don't suggest Visa website.
So you prefer a multitude of diverse replies from self proclaimed "experts" ranging from Visa excempt with extensions and border runs, Tourist Visa, ME Tourist Visa  to Non Imm O.
Where the Visa website has a dropdown and perfectly adequate eqplanation of visa and requirements.
Good Luck with that
P.S. For my 10 pence worth ME Tourist (avoids any interaction with IO)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2024 at 5:44 PM, Phillip9 said:

Your best option is probably a tourist visa, which can be either single or multiple entry.  A tourist visa allows you to stay 60 days in Thailand, then you can extend that for another 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand.

 

If you kept your trip to 90 days or less, I would just get a single entry tourist visa and extend that in Thailand.

 

If you will stay longer than 90 days, I would get a multiple entry tourist visa, and then on or before 60 days make a short trip to a neighbouring country.  When you return to Thailand you will get another 60 days for a total of 120.  With this option you will also not have to visa an immigration office in Thailand which can be a nightmare.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2024 at 4:41 PM, Skipalongcassidy said:

No I am not an agent... I offered advice to him if he wants to save time and not worry about it and is not a broke dick like most of the Anti Agent crowd on this forum.

I had a friend that used an agent for a few years, loved the agent...until there was an issue and it turned out the agent had fake stamps. 

just a few months ago there were some agents that did the same thing.  I'm not saying all agents are bad, but to be safe I take care of things myself. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, billybog said:

this is exactly what i want...but do not know which visa is the multiple 60 day...can you send me a link to the eact visa...not the site...thank you.

What you want is the standard Tourist visa, which is offered in either as a single entry or multiple entry.
The difference being the validity of the visas during which time you may enter Thailand and the fee.

You require the multiple entry Tourist visa as listed here:  https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/trsingle-entry

 

All Thai visa applications from the US are now applied for online at https://www.thaievisa.go.th/
Open the link, then click on 'Which visa type should I apply for'.

Complete the details using the drop-down boxes, selecting the visa type as 'Tourist' and the purpose as 'Tourism/Leisure'.
You'll then see the Tourist visa option of a single or multiple entry, which you want. 

 

Go back to the home page and create an account.
You can then apply for the ME Tourist visa, following the instructions and using drop down boxes where applicable, and upload the required documents.

You no longer send your passport, once your application is approved you'll be sent a visa via email, which you print off and keep in your passport.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/29/2024 at 1:13 AM, billybog said:

i am 73, want to stay in tailand at least 90-104 days.....do not know what visa I need also before use to mail in money order with application...how is that done now....please do not say "go to visa website".. I have done this....I need to know exactly which visa is required.  I am a USA citizen with valid passport.

You need a retirement visa as you are clearly over 50 years old and want to stay here for a long period of time.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/29/2024 at 1:34 AM, Celsius said:

But this is exactly what you need to do. "go to visa website" and apply for a retirement visa

Spot on, he/she needs a retirement visa at his age for a long-stay. Leave the tourist visas to the under 50's who can't qualify for a retirement visa due to age discrimination.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/29/2024 at 3:21 AM, Hummin said:

Turist visa 60 + 30 days + border run  you get 30 days additional on visa exempt. 

No, we don't need people who should be on retirement visas wasting time of other younger folks & immigration officers by doing 30 day tourist visa extensions. The Thai government seriously need to crack down on these oldies who game the system on tourist visas & extensions when they should be on retirement visas. They are making queues worse at immigration for other younger folks who are applying for tourist extensions.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No, we don't need people who should be on retirement visas wasting time of other younger folks & immigration officers by doing 30 day tourist visa extensions. The Thai government seriously need to crack down on these oldies who game the system on tourist visas & extensions when they should be on retirement visas. They are making queues worse at immigration for other younger folks who are applying for tourist extensions.

 

 

Obviously you have time to waste here trolling? 

 

For 100 days pluss minus, it is overkill to apply for retirement visa, and will take more resources than extention and fly in and out. Know your case before you talk BS 

 

Spineless desk warriors who give confused emotions. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ericthai said:

I had a friend that used an agent for a few years, loved the agent...until there was an issue and it turned out the agent had fake stamps. 

just a few months ago there were some agents that did the same thing.  I'm not saying all agents are bad, but to be safe I take care of things myself. 

Got a link to the few months ago case, I think you talking bs! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No, we don't need people who should be on retirement visas wasting time of other younger folks & immigration officers by doing 30 day tourist visa extensions

Your previous 3 posts are basically nonsense. 

The OP is looking for a stay of between 90-104 days. 

A non O retirement would provide 90 day stamp. 

No extension available apart from 12 month extension.  

Just because someone reaches age of 50 does not rule them out from obtaining tourist visas or visa exempt entry.

Some folk have already posted good options.

Your view that OP should apply for a Non O is certainly not best option.

Unless I missed it he did not mention more visits of 100 days in near future.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your previous 3 posts are basically nonsense. 

The OP is looking for a stay of between 90-104 days. 

A non O retirement would provide 90 day stamp. 

No extension available apart from 12 month extension.  

Just because someone reaches age of 50 does not rule them out from obtaining tourist visas or visa exempt entry.

 

I agree that I wouldn't wish the "retirement visa" process on anyone who isn't planning to actually retire to Thailand, or at least spend half a year or more.

 

If it were me (67 YO American), I'd fly in visa exempt for 30 days, extend at the immigration office for 30 days (1900baht), then fly out (or a land border crossing), come back in and repeat, for up to 120 days.  There's a slight risk of being denied on the re-entry, but that's the case even if he does start out with a tourist visa.  Just dress nice, brush your teeth, and smile.

 

Related question:  If he does get a tourist visa, is he better off using that for his first arrival, or fly in visa exempt and keep the visa for his subsequent arrival?  Either way, he's going to have to leave for a visa refresh.  Will they allow him to hold the visa in reserve for later?

 

Good news for the OP is that for Americans there's plenty of options, even if Plan A doesn't happen because, do they accept mail orders in 2024?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Related question:  If he does get a tourist visa, is he better off using that for his first arrival, or fly in visa exempt and keep the visa for his subsequent arrival?  Either way, he's going to have to leave for a visa refresh.  Will they allow him to hold the visa in reserve for later?

This question has come up previously.

As I posted earlier...I would suggest a tourist visa then obtain a 30 day extension.

After that either do a border run or flight out and back visa exempt.  

That's been suggested by few earlier in the thread. 

Also as @Pattaya57 suggested... nothing wrong with 2 visa exempt entries. 

Avoids obtaining  Visa. 

However would requure 2 extensions at Immigration. 

If wants to avoid attendance at immigration an agent can do that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Sorry might have been more than a few months (I loose track of time), A quick search came up with these from the past few years

Don't wish to sidetrack the thread however your first link regards well know agent here in Bangkok.....

Nothing came of that despite the headlines. 

Thinking OP has been given good options. 

He does not require an agent however they can obtain 30 day extension on his behalf.

 

The agent in article has pick up drop off service for 30 day extension to tourist visa and visa exempt. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...