What would you need (solar panels, inverter, storage) to run a 12K BTU "inverter" air con?

As the title says, "What would you need (solar panels, inverter, storage) to run a 12K BTU "inverter" air conditioner?"

I really don't know much about this stuff, but the primary electricity draw that we have at home is the air conditions.  All are 12K BTU inverters and we only use one of those frequently during the hot season.  I'd like to put that one A/C on solar.  What would I need?  Thanks! TIA  :thumbsup:

If we assume you need it 24/7/365 and have an electronic meter (worst case).

Your 12kBTU A/C will consume about 1.2kW when running at full chat. So, at least 3kW of inverter.

If it's reasonably correctly sized that would equate to about 0.4kWh per hour of operation.

So, for 24 hours of operation, you would need about 10kWh of energy.

To generate 10kWh on a reasonable day in Thailand you are looking at about 4kWP of solar (10-11 x 380W panels).

To run the A/C for the non-productive 19 hours or so you need about 8kWh of storage (say 200Ah of 48V LiFePO4 battery).

Summary: -

• 5kW inverter (needed to support 4kW of PV)
  • 4kW of panels.
  • 8kWh (200Ah x 48V) of battery.

Very do-able, you will likely need to top-up with grid energy on bad generation days.

The above is very "back of a cigarette packet" but should be in the correct ball park.

DIY install or contractor?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Roughly how long per 24 hours would you run the A/C?

What type of meter do you have, electronic or spinning disc?

Spinning disk meter.  How long we run it?  That's a tough one.  I usually turn it on, cool the room, and then turn if off and run a fan.  Our home is pretty well insulated.  So during the day?  (back of a napkin calculation)  About 4 to 5 hours a day.

Posted (edited)

Contractor.   These rural electricians cost me 600 to 700 THB / day in labor. 

Edited by connda

1 minute ago, connda said:

Spinning disk meter.  How long we run it?  That's a tough one.  I usually turn it on, cool the room, and then turn if off and run a fan.  Our home is pretty well insulated.  So during the day?  (back of a napkin calculation)  About 4 to 5 hours a day.

The above is actually going to be the least efficient way of using the beast.

You should try setting to a comfortable temperature (probably higher than you think) and just leave it running with your fan to assist in circulation.

Ideally, get an actual energy monitor on that A/C to see what you are really using.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Great.  Thanks Crossy.

You're welcome of course.

Since you are going contractor try hunting through the other threads, I'm pretty sure that there's at least one with a similar sized system non-DIY.

This is pretty close: -

Our system, linked above will easily handle monthly usage of 350kWh (if conservative) to 1000kWh, (if abusive w/ACs) and be off grid if wanting to be.  We run a 13k BTU, almost 24 hrs a day, and the 24k BTU runs about 9hrs a day when needed.  Along with what ever other electrical kitchen appliance. 

Along with charging the EV, such as most of today, drawing ~2.3kWh.

Only need to be careful if both ACs are on, EV is charging, and using more than 1 appliance in kitchen or if hopping in the shower.  That's rare of course.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1