Chiang Mai now world’s third most polluted city

webfact

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai ranks as the third most polluted city globally amid a severe air quality crisis in northern Thailand, with particulate matter (PM)2.5 levels surging due to widespread forest fires. The situation, which peaked today, March 7, has triggered health concerns and advisories.

Northern Thailand is grappling with a significant air pollution crisis. Today, the Air Pollution Crisis Resolution Centre reported that at 7am, PM2.5 levels had exceeded national safety standards in several northern provinces.

The crisis is attributed primarily to extensive forest fires, which have been detected by NASA’s Firms website as numerous hotspots across the region. The unchecked spread of these fires is pumping dangerous levels of PM2.5 into the atmosphere, raising alarms about the potential health impacts on the population.

In Chiang Mai, the situation is particularly dire. The air quality index (AQI) readings have reached hazardous levels, prompting local authorities to issue warnings and health advisories. Medical professionals from Chiang Mai University are deeply concerned about the rising pollution, which could lead to severe health complications, especially among vulnerable groups.

The issue is not confined to the north, however. The northeastern and central regions, including areas like Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Sing Buri, Lopburi, Saraburi, Kanchanaburi, and Ratchaburi, have also reported PM2.5 levels that far exceed safe limits. Residents in these areas are facing similar threats to their health and well-being.

Data from the monitoring stations indicate that PM2.5 concentrations in the north ranged from 43.9 to 196.1 microgrammes per cubic metre, far above the standard value. The northeast also showed elevated levels, with measurements between 37.2 and 136.0 micrograms per cubic metre. Although the central and western regions had fewer areas exceeding the standards, the readings of 23.2 to 46.4 microgrammes per cubic metre still pose a risk.

Air pollution

In contrast, the eastern and southern regions of Thailand, as well as Bangkok and its vicinities, have been faring better, with air quality generally within acceptable ranges.

The ranking of Chiang Mai as one of the most polluted cities comes from data provided by the IQAir website, highlighting the severity of the pollution. The AQI scores reflect the concentration of various pollutants in the air, with PM2.5 being a significant concern due to its ability to penetrate deep into the lungs and enter the bloodstream, causing various health issues, reported KhaoSod.

The situation has prompted Thai authorities to intensify their efforts to tackle pollution. Measures are being implemented to control the burning and reduce the number of hotspots, which have been identified as the main cause of the hazardous air quality. The public is being advised to stay indoors when possible and use air purifiers or masks to minimise exposure.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Damm. Only third.

Thailand usually aims for being # 1

Succeeded now... First ! Well done TH

Edit And country side North from CM is winning easily with a 330 index score in Pai !

Edited by happysoul
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel a new hub claim on the horizon - one they can actually claim that isn't ##

this is pretty serious, high risk to health

when I lived in the UK surface dust on table tops and furnature was fibre from carpets etc and took months to become noticeable to any degree, while here a thick layer of dust can build up in a couple of weeks especially if you have open windows, run a finger through that stuff and it is black like soot same on the tiled floor - don't mop it for a week and your feet end up black, this is not household dust like we get back home.

and my pc air filters and cooling fans need cleaning every few weeks, I wonder how are lungs are doing, this is pretty serious and needs urgent attention

I suspect there are many reasons for this - poorly laid concrete with lack of binding agent - removal of catalyst from vehicles to achieve more power (I think extremely common) in diesel vehicles - old trucks/buses either don't have catalytic converters or new ones were they are never fitted 

Edited by smedly

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai ranks as the third most polluted city globally amid a severe air quality crisis in northern Thailand, with particulate matter (PM)2.5 levels surging due to widespread forest fires. The situation, which peaked today, March 7, has triggered health concerns and advisories.

I'm sure the governors doing his best  [as someone reminded me in a past post] well guess what.

Your best ain't good enough.

Another clickbait Headline by the Thaiger.  

There are many types of pollution, 

Chiang Mai has an air quality issue part of the year,  and it might be the third worst in the world

But that's for air, and for part of the year, there are many other places in the world that are more poluted from other sources  and year round. 

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

No need to worry - the PM will sort this out the next time he's in Thailand

Meanwhile, the Goverment spokesman, Mr Chai, will complain about the report which rates Chiengmai at Number 3.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Another clickbait Headline by the Thaiger.  

There are many types of pollution, 

Chiang Mai has an air quality issue part of the year,  and it might be the third worst in the world

But that's for air, and for part of the year, there are many other places in the world that are more poluted from other sources  and year round. 

So what, we are talking about Thailand

39 minutes ago, JoePai said:

So what, we are talking about Thailand

IMO there needs to be a question mark instead of a coma for this sentence to make sence,

but even then it does not because the title of the article is, 

"Chiang Mai now world’s third most polluted city "

so we are talking about the world and how Chiang Mai who you correctly identified is located in Thailand, is the third most polluted city on the World 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

IMO there needs to be a question mark instead of a coma for this sentence to make sence,

but even then it does not because the title of the article is, 

"Chiang Mai now world’s third most polluted city "

so we are talking about the world and how Chiang Mai who you correctly identified is located in Thailand, is the third most polluted city on the World 

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black - in English we spell it "sense" - but if English is not your native language I understand (as I do with Thaiger report)

27 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black - in English we spell it "sense" - but if English is not your native language I understand (as I do with Thaiger report)

I was not criticizing  you spelling, only the structure of your  sentence, 

I thought I understood what you were trying to say, but I was not sure. A coma , or a question mark changes the meaning. where a misspelled word as in this sentence does not. 

But if English is not you native language and you think a "C" instead of an "S" changes the meaning of what I wrote, I understand :biggrin: