4G Mobile Wifi Router questions

treetops

Last year I bought a no-name router to use with a Dtac SIM to provide internet to my place in Thailand and it's been working OK.  I'm in the UK now and bought a router here to provide the same service here using a local SIM on the EE network.  To compare the two, I put the EE SIM in the Thai router which I'd brought to the UK with me, but it doesn't connect to the EE network.  Is there likely to be anything in the settings I could change to allow it to connect or is it more likely the specification is different and it'll never work?

If I were looking at them now, what settings/parameters etc would I look for to ensure compatability between routers and SIMS from different markets?

The provider may not offer/allow "tethering" on your current plan?

Maybe try it in your phone first, to see if you can create and share personal WiFi Hotpot.

I'd contact them.

Is the sim for calls or calls+data?

Check if the router supports EE frequencies

What frequencies are used in the UK?

There are a total of 9 different frequencies used in the UK used by the mobile networks to deliver their 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G mobile services.

800MHz (Band 20)

900MHz (Band8)

1400MHz SDL (Band 32)

1800MHz (Band 3)

2100MHz (Band 1)

2300MHz (Band 40)

2600MHz FDD (Band 7)

2600MHz TDD (Band 38)

3400MHz (Band 42)

EE Network frequencies

800MHz (4G)

1800MHz (2G & 4G)

2100MHz (3G & 4G)

2600MHz (4G)

3400MHz (5G)

Check in router settings if the APN network details are populated automatically or they need to be input manually

Refer to this

https://apn-settings.com/uk/ee-apn-settings/

https://www.4gapn.com/gb/en/ee#8-2

Edited by freeworld

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The provider may not offer/allow "tethering" on your current plan?

Maybe try it in your phone first, to see if you can create and share personal WiFi Hotpot.

I'd contact them.

I'm not sure I understand your response.  The EE SIM connnects to the internet when it's in my new UK purchased router but not when inserted in my Thailand purchased router.  To me, case one means the provider is letting me connect so in case 2 the router is causing the problem.  Putting the SIM in a phone will be replicating case one which means connecting OK.  Does that sound right?

8 hours ago, freeworld said:

Is the sim for calls or calls+data?

Check if the router supports EE frequencies

<snip>

Check in router settings if the APN network details are populated automatically or they need to be input manually

Refer to this

https://apn-settings.com/uk/ee-apn-settings/

https://www.4gapn.com/gb/en/ee#8-2

The SIM supports both calls and data but I currently only have a data package applied.  I have no idea what frequencies the router supports and have no manuals.  I can't see this information in the setup pages either.  This is the only ID on the router if it means anything to anybody.  Is there any practical/easy way to check?

routerthai.jpg.e47d6318a6d341cb41e8c90b21a3c01c.jpg

APN settings were on Auto.  I tried changing them to Manual and entering data per your first link.  On rebooting it seemed to be connecting but bombed out again after a few seconds.

8 hours ago, norbra said:

You will need to change router APN settings I would think.

As above re APN settings.  Should the original "Auto" settings have sufficed to your knowledge?

Edited by treetops

If the apn setting are set to auto and not populating automatically then it needs to be set manually.

When it tried to connect and bombed out did you check in the router settings again to see if the apn parameters are still there as you input them?

I found some other apn settings for the ee network which you could try both below.

Do a router factory reset before enter the apn setting to clear out any old config settings which may still be there.

Then enter the apn in the router settings, save them and reboot the router before trying to connect again to the network.

APN : everywhere
User Name : Leave Blank
Password : Leave Blank

Or…..

APN : everywhere
User Name : eesecure
Password : secure

Can't check the network frequency, the router specs usually state which network frequencies the router supports. Need to find what router you have and then could find the specs somewhere. Do you have more pictures of the router then we could try find a similar router and find the supported frequencies.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for replying.

I can confirm the settings remained.  Resetting and retrying with the revised settings (after rebooting) gave the same results.

I also tried putting the SIM into my phone and it connects with the EE network on Band 3 according to an app I found called Network Cell Info Lite.  This ties in with an EE 4G frequency from your info above.

Here's a picture of the no name Chinese router if it helps identify it.

router2.jpg.77bfb1239fc73ff9f11bc6fba2293728.jpg

9 hours ago, treetops said:

Here's a picture of the no name Chinese router if it helps identify it.

Take/post a photo of the bottom of the unit.

Seems like it's a frequency issue but I would think it supports 1800 and/or 2100 since it worked with DTAC in Thailand.

Could be an APN issue?

Could also be an IMEI (on the 4G no-name router) check/denial by the network.

Maybe have a search/read on the ee community forum?  https://community.ee.co.uk/

OK it looks like it is this router sx-7628R12

https://www.qs-wifi.com/4g-lte-cpe-router/300mbps-lte-fdd-tdd-4g-wifi-router.html

https://shopee.sg/-V-E-C-K-4G-Wireless-Router-4-Antenna-WiFi-Router-CPE-300M-2.4GHZ-with-SIM-Card-Slot-for-Home-Rental-Room-Dormitory-i.131669646.25511921267

The specs show it works in Asia and Europe and band 3 is supported.

Network:

--4G:LTE-FDD: B1/B3/B7/B8/B20/B28(2100/1800/2600/900/800/700 MHz)

--4G:LTE-TDD:B38/B40/B41(2600/2300/2500 MHz)

--3G:DC-HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS:B1/B8(2100/900MHz)

Try also the factory reset in the settings firmware and not by pressing that reset button on the router.

Heres a thread about a TP link mr200 4G router also could not work with an ee sim.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband/4514206-ee-data-sim-not-working-on-tp-link-archer-mr200.html?fpart=all

Edited by freeworld

You could try setting ipv4 only and test and then ipv4&ipv6 in the router settings and save that and test.

What errors do the router logs show?

Interesting, try using the three apn as suggested in this below thread. They are trying to get a huawei router to work on ee network and seems someone succeeded, also worth trying on your router.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/huawei-b535-and-ee-4g-connection-problems.39216/

Could also try this:
- disable mobile data
- create a new profile with correct APN
- make this new profile active or default
- delete other profiles
- enable mobile data
- reboot

Edited by freeworld

11 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Take/post a photo of the bottom of the unit.

The only potentially identifying info on the bottom is the label pictured above.

11 hours ago, freeworld said:

OK it looks like it is this router sx-7628R12

https://www.qs-wifi.com/4g-lte-cpe-router/300mbps-lte-fdd-tdd-4g-wifi-router.html

Try also the factory reset in the settings firmware and not by pressing that reset button on the router.

Heres a thread about a TP link mr200 4G router also could not work with an ee sim.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband/4514206-ee-data-sim-not-working-on-tp-link-archer-mr200.html?fpart=all

Definitely looks like that one and the user interface screens are the same.  My concern is that the Chinese copiers may have reduced the spec. to save money?

10 hours ago, freeworld said:

Still having problems?

Sometimes, to get data services up and running, you’ll need to turn your device off and on again after inserting your SIM

https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi#article-heading-1

I haven't tried anything new since my last post but will try some of the suggestions and see how it goes in the next day or two.  I can confirm I've been rebooting the router each time after changing settings.

Latest trials:

Firmware reset as suggested.

System rebooted.

No 4G connection.

Can’t find anywhere to disable IPv6

Router logs show connection issues but no clues (to me) of why.  I can probably cut and paste a section here if you think it’ll be of any use.

Change APN settings to those from page 1 of the link (without the IPv4 bit)

Still no 4G connection

Rebooted and the same but I think it flashed up a “Connected” message for a split second.  Confirmed new APN settings had “stuck”.

Tried the same but forcing a 3G connection (again from the thread linked above). No difference.

Any more suggestions appreciated.

6 hours ago, treetops said:

Any more suggestions appreciated.

Use your "new" router?

On 3/11/2024 at 6:22 AM, treetops said:

bought a router here to provide the same service here using a local SIM on the EE network. 

I'd ask ee, or post on the ee community forum.

Is it an EE payg sim or a contract sim?

Did you try using the old three network apn as suggested?

Its a long shot but try this as an APN IPV4 Profile setting, set up a new APN, Save it, set as Default, then Reboot and double check its still default.

Name - TMipv4Only (or something different than EE)
APN - general.t-mobile.uk
User - leave blank
Password - leave blank
Auth type - PAP
IPV - IPV4 Only

Someone had success using these setting for a huawei 4g router on EE network.

Found this for a TP link router.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2468/

You could read through it and some of the things may be checked and adjusted in your router settings

1) Check in settings if it states sim card locked

A lot of people are having trouble connecting to ee network using 4G routers other than ee routers (routers from ubiquity, mikrotik, huawei and tp link and even with EE routers, some seem to have connection problems)

You could contact ee and try to solve the issue (maybe they have blacklisted some routers)

If you could test the router with the sim in a different area. Some report a router with the sim connecting in a different location.

Use an ee supplied router

Try a sim from another network such as vodafone etc...

Someone had a similar problem and suggested this

OUTDOOR MIMO ROUTER
Integrated 4G LTE mobile modem, EZR30 outdoor router.

Three Unlimited data SIM Works

EE PAYG 60GB  sim Works

EE contract unlimited data sim   Not working.

The router manufacturer suggested changing the Protocol to 4G-PPP. Did this with no success BUT when I restored the original settings the 5G data Sim was recognised and is now working

Edited by freeworld

12 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Use your "new" router?

That's what I may end up doing, but one of them will be going back to Thailand and I was hoping to take the "better" one there (as I spend more time there) and leave the no-name Chinese one here in the UK.

11 hours ago, norbra said:

You will need to change router APN settings I would think.

Being a Chinese router CMNET for Apn is worth a try

CMNET appears to be a China Mobile setting.  Would that work on EE network in the UK?  I tried it anyway with a variation of Authentification Types but still no good.

Is it an EE payg sim or a contract sim?

Did you try using the old three network apn as suggested?

Its a long shot but try this as an APN IPV4 Profile setting, set up a new APN, Save it, set as Default, then Reboot and double check its still default.

Name - TMipv4Only (or something different than EE)
APN - general.t-mobile.uk
User - leave blank
Password - leave blank
Auth type - PAP
IPV - IPV4 Only

Someone had success using these setting for a huawei 4g router on EE network.

Found this for a TP link router.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2468/

You could read through it and some of the things may be checked and adjusted in your router settings

1) Check in settings if it states sim card locked

A lot of people are having trouble connecting to ee network using 4G routers other than ee routers (routers from ubiquity, mikrotik, huawei and tp link and even with EE routers, some seem to have connection problems)

You could contact ee and try to solve the issue (maybe they have blacklisted some routers)

If you could test the router with the sim in a different area. Some report a router with the sim connecting in a different location.

Use an ee supplied router

Try a sim from another network such as vodafone etc...

Someone had a similar problem and suggested this

OUTDOOR MIMO ROUTER
Integrated 4G LTE mobile modem, EZR30 outdoor router.

Three Unlimited data SIM Works

EE PAYG 60GB  sim Works

EE contract unlimited data sim   Not working.

The router manufacturer suggested changing the Protocol to 4G-PPP. Did this with no success BUT when I restored the original settings the 5G data Sim was recognised and is now working

It's a PAYG SIM.

I tried the old 3G APN settings from your previous link but no difference (without the IPv4 bit), and the TP-Link article doesn't seem to suggest anything new except it does allude to IPv4 which I was unable to force on my router. Saving APN profiles has been suggested in a couple of places but the router doesn't seem to support that, only making entries followed by "Save and Apply".  I've been rebooting after each change too.

SIM card is unlocked.

I may be able to try it in another location next week.

I've also now tried it with my O2 SIM from my phone and it got an internet connection straight away with APN set to "Auto".

Try changing router settings between chap or pap for authentication.

That was mentioned in one of your previous links and tried with no success.

This is part of the router interface screen.  I think I've been through each setting but no way to force IPv4 as has been suggested in a couple of places.  Any suggestions where it could be?

routerinterface.jpg.ad78120000bec9ca08ea087a3057665f.jpg

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Sorry, I'm all out of ideas.

It shows that the router works, O2 network just connects automatically, which is a similar experience other users had and tried other networks sims when their routers were not working with EE network sim.

I think this will not be solved without input from EE technical. EE needs to configure/release something in their network settings. As others suggested contact EE helpline and they can open a support ticket for it.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:00 AM, thaiowl said:

Go in to the router settings and change the settings to allow roaming.  My son has a tp-link mobile router with a DTAC SIM card and can only use it outside Thailand if the router settings are set to allow roaming. See this link:
https://www.tp-link.com/ae/support/faq/1649/

I'm away for the weekend just now but will look for a setting when I return, although I don't recall seeing one.  The EE SIM isn't roaming though, but maybe the cheap router doesn't know that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 1:57 AM, freeworld said:

Just got a chance to try that yesterday and no difference.  It's all going on the back burner now as the no-name router is now heading back to Thailand.