Update Tm.30 after border run

I have an one-year multiple entry Non-O (marriage). After reading here on Asiannow I thought I did not  have to update a tm.30 each time I cross the border every 90 days as long as I am at the same residence.

I went to immigration today and they told me I MUST do a new tm.30 every time., That they have no record of a tm.30 in their database, they said it's a new visa every time I enter for 90 days. I disagreed saying it's the same visa.   Do I not understand how this works?   

So the wife had to pay the 800. baht fine.    Maesot immigration

Different policy at every immigration office it seems.

I've been told that by IO if returning to same address after being abroad no need to do a new TM30 if its on the same extension. 

• Agree 2

OP, your immigration office is wrong. 

By any chance CM? 

You do not need to make a new TM30 upon reentry to Thailand 

Explained in the OP in this thread 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1169664-thai-immigration-announce-changes-to-tm30-reporting/ 

In particular this part of 2.2....

The alien as defined in paragraph one shall include those who

being granted multiple-visa who leaves and returns to the Kingdom with specified

time in the visa, and those with re-entry permit.

14 hours ago, thaitom said:

I went to immigration today and they told me I MUST do a new tm.30 every time., That they have no record of a tm.30 in their database, they said it's a new visa every time I enter for 90 days. I disagreed saying it's the same visa.   Do I not understand how this works?   

Show them their own issued regulation amending section 38 of the Immigration Act.

TM30 reporting regulation (Eng).pdf

TM30 reportingregulation(Thai).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Show them their own issued regulation amending section 38 of the Immigration Act.

TM30 reporting regulation (Eng).pdf 41.16 kB · 0 downloads

TM30 reportingregulation(Thai).pdf 1.14 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you for the information.  I will print this and the next time i'm in town I will stop by and show this to them, 

8 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Thank you for the information.  I will print this and the next time i'm in town I will stop by and show this to them, 

AS @DrJack54 mentioned, take special note of clause 2.2.

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1, then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay tahat has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again.

The alien mentioned in paragraph 1 shall include any alien receiving a multiply entry visa who departs the Kingdom and returns within the validity of visa and any alien permitted to re-enter into the Kingdom with a valid re-entry permit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thaitom said:

I have an one-year multiple entry Non-O (marriage). After reading here on Asiannow I thought I did not  have to update a tm.30 each time I cross the border every 90 days as long as I am at the same residence.

You got off lucky with an 800 baht fine and even luckier the 800 baht was paid by your wife, not by you. So you didn't lose one baht lol.

That's where you went wrong, my friend. Relying on a bunch of randoms on the internet rather than asking the immigration officer and getting the word from the horses mouth.

Jomtien happily dishes out loads of 1,600 baht fines every few minutes in the TM30 reporting line, as there are sooooo many people who don't lodge TM30, until they need to do something at immigration then bam, 1,600 baht fine.

Yes, each and every time you enter Thailand, you need to do a TM30. Unless you have a re-entry permit. I had a METV and every time I re-entered Thailand on the exact same visa, I had to do a TM30. You have a multipie entry marriage visa. Same same, but different, my friend.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, george said:

Different policy at every immigration office it seems.

I've been told that by IO if returning to same address after being abroad no need to do a new TM30 if its on the same extension. 

I was told the same at Nakhon Sawan Office but unlike the OP I went there and asked. However, my friend, who was staying with me, had arrived in Thailand visa-exempt and travelled with me to Vietnam and back - the IO told him he did need to do a new one even though he was returning to the same address as his previous TM30. I would suggest the OP does not try and prove the IO wrong and just writes the 800 baht off to experience.

It is certainly confusing.

Several months ago at an expat meeting a well know Visa expert, spoke as to the new rules basically told me my situation had to make a new TM30 each time I leave Thailand and come back same residence except Condo ownet mines everything under my wife name.

I've been on a retirement Ext. Over 15 years, TM30 in my passport been for 5years never a problem.

I left for the States Feb. return 8 of March, I went down JOMTIEN on 11th. Experting the worse told didnt NEED!😁

Edited by thailand49
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

IO told him he did need to do a new one even though he was returning to the same address as his previous TM30. 

Returning to same address is only part of it.

You must be reentering using same visa (eg multi entry visa) or reentry permit that protects your permission of stay. 

Your friend (I assume) returned to Thailand and obtrained a second visa exempt entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

No offense but if you want to make an immigration officer really angry prove that he is wrong. 

Perhaps have a friendly chat with his boss without accusing anyone.

Just a suggestion. 

Yes... I agree with what your saying. It is better not to make trouble. I will just submit a tm.30 in person for now on everytime .....   it doesn't take up much time.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, thaitom said:

LOL: ur disagreeing with the immigration office where you do ur extension?
Bad move on ur part>

I thought if you had multiple entry non O, you did not need to do a TM30, unless you had to visit Immigration later for some reason. Have things changed or I am misinformed.

8 hours ago, Liquorice said:

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1, then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay tahat has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again.

I can't understand why people continually beat up on Thai immigration for requesting a new TM30. How can immigration confirm that the notified period of stay (at that particular dwelling) has not yet ended without requesting a new TM30?

I'm certain that the busy offices requiring a new TM30 see people on a daily basis that claim to be living at the same address when in fact they aren't any longer.

• Haha 1

Just now, ningnong said:

I can't understand why people continually beat up on Thai immigration for requesting a new TM30. How can immigration confirm that the notified period of stay (at that particular dwelling) has not yet ended without requesting a new TM30?

I'm certain that the busy offices requiring a new TM30 see people on a daily basis that claim to be living at the same address when in fact they aren't any longer.

You are joking, I have lived in the same house for 17 years, yet they want a TM30.

A sensible solution to the complete waste of time and effort, word be.....

"You must let us know if you change residence address within 7 days, otherwise a fine of 5000bht will be applied"...

Job done and easy........🥴

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

No offense but if you want to make an immigration officer really angry prove that he is wrong. 

Perhaps have a friendly chat with his boss without accusing anyone.

Just a suggestion. 

No offence taken, but the reason for requesting to see a superior is that your in disagreement with one of his officers.
You can agree to disagree politely, but his prerogative if he wants to get angry.

It's not a case of proving them wrong, the IO's that you deal with at the front desks are often not well-informed.

Over the years I've had my disagreements with IO's and sought an audience with the boss to resolve the issue.
Indeed, if I hadn't stood my ground and challenged an IO when I first retired to Thailand and applied for my first extension of stay, I wouldn't be here to this day.
Now that IO did get angry, became belligerent, ripped half of my copies and threw them across the desk onto the floor because I insisted of seeing his superior.

Edited by Liquorice

17 hours ago, transam said:

You are joking, I have lived in the same house for 17 years, yet they want a TM30.

And you could have had 800,000 baht parked in the same bank account untouched for those 17 years but you will still be required to show proof each year.

17 hours ago, transam said:

A sensible solution to the complete waste of time and effort, word be.....

"You must let us know if you change residence address within 7 days, otherwise a fine of 5000bht will be applied"...

Not a bad idea but how do they know whether or not you've moved if you don't submit proof of your residence to them on a regular (yearly) basis.

17 minutes ago, ningnong said:

And you could have had 800,000 baht parked in the same bank account untouched for those 17 years but you will still be required to show proof each year.

Not a bad idea but how do they know whether or not you've moved if you don't submit proof of your residence to them on a regular (yearly) basis.

The secret is in the fine, folk will not risk that. Look at 90 day report done online, you could be anywhere.........🤗

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 4:34 PM, DrJack54 said:

Returning to same address is only part of it.

You must be reentering using same visa (eg multi entry visa) or reentry permit that protects your permission of stay. 

Your friend (I assume) returned to Thailand and obtrained a second visa exempt entry.

Partly correct. Your re-entry permit protects your original permission to stay so if you are returning to the same address a new TM30 is not required, but when re-entering using a multi-entry visa you get a new permission of stay. When you leave Thailand your current permission of stay is cancelled (unless you have a re-entry permit) so your next entry, even if you have used the visa before, is a new permission of stay and a TM30 will need to be registered. Using the same visa for entry is not the same as using your re-entry permit.

25 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Partly correct. Your re-entry permit protects your original permission to stay so if you are returning to the same address a new TM30 is not required, but when re-entering using a multi-entry visa you get a new permission of stay. When you leave Thailand your current permission of stay is cancelled (unless you have a re-entry permit) so your next entry, even if you have used the visa before, is a new permission of stay and a TM30 will need to be registered. Using the same visa for entry is not the same as using your re-entry permit.

No.

The alien as defined in paragraph one shall include those who

being granted multiple-visa who leaves and returns to the Kingdom with specified

time in the visa, and those with re-entry permit.

12 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

This is exactly what the immi officer told me. 

5 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Maesot

The io that advised you is wrong.

That doesn't help you as any random immigration office can do as they wish. 

However, I would at very least show them the actual law 2.1 2.2 posted earlier in this thread.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The io that advised you is wrong.

That doesn't help you as any random immigration office can do as they wish. 

However, I would at very least show them the actual law 2.1 2.2 posted earlier in this thread.

Chonburi immigration (Jomtien & Sri Racha) changed their rules approx. 6 months ago and for any immigration need (Extension, Re-entry permit, 90 day report, Certificate of Residence etc...) your TM30 needs to be dated after your most recent entry into Thailand (i.e. Your old one is no longer valid) irrespective of what Visa you are on or if you're returning to a place you've lived in for many years. 

Couple of links for background info... 

https://legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/tm30-making-thai-visa-extension-processing-more-complex/ 

https://ground.news/article/chonburi-immigration-bureau-tightens-address-reporting

Foreigners requiring service at Pattaya-Jomtien immigration (and Sri Racha) must have a TM30 form receipt in their passport dated since their last arrival in Thailand. A recent change in procedure at Pattaya-Jomtien immigration (and Sri Racha) means that all foreigners requiring a service must have a TM30 form receipt in their passport dated since their last arrival in Thailand. This bureaucracy is quite separate from the 90 days reporting for e…

And it has been mentioned on a couple of threads on here, e.g.... 

27 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Chonburi immigration (Jomtien & Sri Racha) changed their rules approx. 6 months ago and for any immigration need (Extension, Re-entry permit, 90 day report, Certificate of Residence etc...) your TM30 needs to be dated after your most recent entry into Thailand (i.e. Your old one is no longer valid) irrespective of what Visa you are on or if you're returning to a place you've lived in for many years.

Seriously  not interested in rubbish immigration offices.

Add CM to your list.

#1 on rubbish list is Jomtien. 

Just 2 examples...

1. Return 3 months after extension extension retirement to check bank book.

2. In order to obtain non O from visa exempt entry requures 2 month seasoning. That is wrong. Rubbish joint.

My understanding is that recently Jomtien has gone back to not requiring TM30 for the things you listed eg annual extensions.  

As I posted...Thailand immigration offices do what they want.

Everyone should be aware of what their immigration office requires.

Personally off to Oz next week and couple weeks later Vietnam...there is absolutely no need for me to file a TM30 when I return (CW) 

20 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Theoretically that is correct, however the new regulation specifically includes those with valid multi entry visa are also excluded from filing a new TM30 on re-entry.

1. Repeal the regulation of Royal Thai Police on notification of a householder, owner or possessor of a dwelling place or hotel manager, who takes in, as a resident, an alien permitted to temporary stay in the Kingdom dated May 25, 1979 (B.E. 2522);

2. Notification of a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager, who takes in, as a resident, an alien permitted to temporary stay in the Kingdom must proceed as follows;

2.1 Notify a competent official at an Immigration office located in a locality in which the house, dwelling place or hotel is located within twenty four hours from the time an alien has taken residence. In case that house, dwelling place or hotel, where an alien has stayed, is located in Bangkok Metropolis locality, such notification shall be made to a competent official at Immigration Division 1 of Immigration Bureau.

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1, then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay tahat has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again. The alien mentioned in paragraph 1 shall include any alien receiving a multiply entry visa who departs the Kingdom and returns within the validity of visa and any alien permitted to re-enter into the Kingdom with a valid re-entry permit.

How long does it take to cross a border and re-enter again ................ an hour?
So technically with a valid ME visa, your permission of stay could cease and start again on the same day.
That is how it was probably viewed in the new regulations.