Flights To US Seat selection

Depends on the airline and how much you pay.  Some, like Emirates, charge different amounts for different "premium" seats.  You'll almost certainly pay more for the best seat in economy, although sometimes exit rows, for example, are not pre-bookable until check-in.

Qatar also let's you select seats, but as mentioned above, unless you have standing with the airline or their alliance, expect to pay more for seats towards the front and the extra legroom seats.

I don't understand the problem since I normally fly economy and I have picked my seat each and every time I have flown back and forth over the past say 15 years

44 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I don't understand the problem since I normally fly economy and I have picked my seat each and every time I have flown back and forth over the past say 15 years

it's a new upcharge.  i paid an extra $150 on china airlines to fly to the US next month so that i could choose my seats.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Anyone know any way you can fly economy and select your seats?  I usually fly Premium Economy but the one row in economy is actually better.

Thanks in Advance

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Anyone know any way you can fly economy and select your seats?  I usually fly Premium Economy but the one row in economy is actually better.

Thanks in Advance

I don't care if they charge me more , I see no option to select the seat when I select an economy flight .However,when I select a premium  economy flight there is an option.  American/Japan air lines.

Edited by charleskerins

1 minute ago, charleskerins said:

I don't care if they charge me more , I see no option to select the seat when I select an economy flight .However,when I select a premium  economy flight there is no option.  American/Japan air lines.

You will pay more, I have that combo. Flying in May. I managed to get seats by paying up, but when I called the airline to try and get better ones they are all blocked now. Not booked blocked. I was told try closer to departure time. JAL does have the best economy seating I have found. Also down to one checked 23 kilo bag, and one carry on. Used to be 2 at 23. 

12 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

I don't care if they charge me more , I see no option to select the seat when I select an economy flight .However,when I select a premium  economy flight there is an option.  American/Japan air lines.

This happens when you pick a flight itinerary with 2 airlines. Pick a flight with only one airline, all American or all JAL or any other airline. 

1 hour ago, brian2322 said:

it's a new upcharge.  i paid an extra $150 on china airlines to fly to the US next month so that i could choose my seats.  

Guess you should have picked another airline. Hint: the third party sites charge for seat selection more than the actual airline apps

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

This happens when you pick a flight itinerary with 2 airlines. Pick a flight with only one airline, all American or all JAL or any other airline. 

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

You answered my question ,I thank you- never knew .  On JAL website now.

• Thumbs Up 1

The cheapest airlines that cross the Pacific are the ones most likely to nickel and dime you on seat selection.

Many of them are now flying the Boeing 777 with the ten across seating in economy.  It is a flying sardine can; many of the passengers rely on sleeping pills or other aids to get through it.  As much as possible I avoid it, even if it means paying a few hundred more.

Always fly JAL to and from Thailand.

SAN-BKK uses Boeing 787.  More importantly is the short layover in NRT and direct flight into SAN, avoiding LAX or SFO.

Cost more but worth it. 

Occasionally have gotten Business if under 4k.

20 hours ago, G_Money said:

SAN-BKK uses Boeing 787.  More importantly is the short layover in NRT and direct flight into SAN, avoiding LAX or SFO.

Cost more but worth it. 

20 hours ago, G_Money said:

Cost more but worth it. 

4k for roundtrip correct ? and you were only going to California -no connecting flight ?    I plan on booking through JAL heading to East Coast usually do premium economy which isn't bad.

1 minute ago, charleskerins said:

4k for roundtrip correct ? and you were only going to California -no connecting flight ?    I plan on booking through JAL heading to East Coast usually do premium economy which isn't bad.

I’ve only found that fare twice so it doesn’t happen often.  Booking through American Airlines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I flew JAL Saigon - Narita - SFO - Las Vegas on cheapest ticket, $ 637 one way, and got to select seats for free.

Food (cold and tasteless Vietnamese pork) was lousy on the first leg. Otherwise very good trip. Will do it again.

15 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I flew JAL Saigon - Narita - SFO - Las Vegas on cheapest ticket, $ 637 one way, and got to select seats for free.

Food (cold and tasteless Vietnamese pork) was lousy on the first leg. Otherwise very good trip. Will do it again.

Where were your seats?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just flew BKK. SFO  Eva premium economy. $2000.  RT  First time flying premium economy. Made for a nicer flight.

Never heard of EVA AIr   Taiwanese?   did you book direct ?  What was your impression of the company/flight?

Edited by charleskerins
nm

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

I recently flew Economy to the USA on Delta.

Selected seat 35A when I did online check in.

image.png.d6ab4aa86164669f51188e04f9d9160c.png

i just did test run on JAL   BKK to Tokyo  ,Tokyo To West Coast ,West Coast to East Coast    selected upgraded seats on the two longer flights    $1182

3 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

i just did test run on JAL   BKK to Tokyo  ,Tokyo To West Coast ,West Coast to East Coast    selected upgraded seats on the two longer flights    $1182

Yeah I checked delta for a seat upgrade.... was 8k USD to upgrade from economy to business.

Irrelevant to the discussion of selecting a seat in economy.

Edited by Ralf001

I think on Emirates  you can choose seats (limited available ) 48 Hrs before departure , confirm that with the airline. Make sure to select your seats immediately 48 hrs before departure, because the best seats get taken quickly. 

I always chose isle because i like to get up a lot. 

When flying witht he wife, we chose an isle and a window seat . Middle seats are the least desirable and are the last selected , If the plane is not full there is a good chance that the middle seat will be empty. If it is not , we politely ask the person if he would like to move to the window seat. They always say yes, (few people like sitting in the middle) and we take the isle and middle,. 

• Like 1