Thai Viet jet airlines charges for checked luggage

Dean1953

I’m taking Thai Viet jet airlines on 30 May from CNX to BKK, then 5.5 hours later, I catch a flight to LAX    I originally was going to send luggage by train and go pick it up on arriving at BKK.  I finally checked the Thai Viet Jet website and 40 kilos of luggage was $36, so I paid it.  On my receipt, it shows one luggage and the amount paid in Baht.  Now, there’s some doubt that I’ll be allowed 2 bags, with 20 kilos apiece.  I sent them the question on Messenger but haven’t heard back yet.  I can’t imagine that they would allow 1 bag with 40 kilos in it but I’ve seen airlines do stranger things.  If nobody knows, I arrive at BKK from LAX on 1 May, and I have 10 hours to kill before my train to Chiangmai leaves.  That gives me plenty of rime to ask someone with Thai Vier Jet whether I’m allowed one or two bags and to plan accordingly. But if anyone here knows, I would appreciate it.  

I bought a BKK-CNX ticket on them once.

Was not able to contact their customer service by any know means of communication.

Ended up no-showing for the flight. Can’t remember why. After the Sandbox quarantine 

AirAsia, ThaiVietJet, are airlines I have learned to avoid like the pest. But that's me.

Now to the point: do you live so far from the airport that it's inconvenient to go and ask there? They have their office, and in fact you could even ask at the checked luggage scan/load point for all domestic flights, they surely know.

In Vietnam you can just bribe them a few dollars cash and you even get a front row seat lol. Out of my mind it is around 900 baht for 1x 20KG checked luggage aside from the 7KG carry-on luggage so 36 dollars sounds possible potentially.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:09 PM, arithai12 said:

AirAsia, ThaiVietJet, are airlines I have learned to avoid like the pest. But that's me.

Now to the point: do you live so far from the airport that it's inconvenient to go and ask there? They have their office, and in fact you could even ask at the checked luggage scan/load point for all domestic flights, they surely know.

I’m taking the train to CM next week, after arriving at BKK.  I’ll have plenty of time to go by the VietJet checkin counter, or their office at the airport 

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

A guy who has a house here and brings stuff to fix it up.

And/or regularly brings from abroad large supplies of basic foodstuffs all available at many outlets in LOS. Often same bad or equivalent quality local manufacture.

Seen this many times. Recall one farang wife who brought massive supplies of very size of ziplock bags from the US. And a Brit guy who brought suitcases of meat pies in cans from the UK. 

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And/or regularly brings from abroad large supplies of basic foodstuffs all available at many outlets in LOS. Often same bad or equivalent quality local manufacture.

Seen this many times. Recall one farang wife who brought massive supplies of very size of ziplock bags from the US. And a Brit guy who brought suitcases of meat pies in cans from the UK. 

Not Dean,  he brings stuff like 110 volt tools and riding mowers.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:00 AM, Upnotover said:

Like all airlines its 32kg max per piece.

That's what I thought too. Wrong!

Last year, on EVA Air, in Premium and Star Alliance Gold member, I rocked up at Heathrow check-in with 29kgs. They wanted to charge me £110 GBP. I said but my allowance is at least 50kgs. They said yes sir but maximum piece weight is 23kgs. You can have 3 pieces of 23kgs making total of 69kgs. I said I just want one case at 29kgs they said NO! Not allowed. One of the non-airline employees suggested I ask the airline for a cardboard box for the "excess". A manager brought out a box, scissors, pen and tape so I could repack 10kgs into the second piece. What a waste of time and effort. I was flabbergasted but complied. At least Thai Airways at Heathrow never have this issue (32kgs max no question - unless on a restricted/saver ticket).

56 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

That's what I thought too. Wrong!

Last year, on EVA Air, in Premium and Star Alliance Gold member, I rocked up at Heathrow check-in with 29kgs. They wanted to charge me £110 GBP. I said but my allowance is at least 50kgs. They said yes sir but maximum piece weight is 23kgs. You can have 3 pieces of 23kgs making total of 69kgs. I said I just want one case at 29kgs they said NO! Not allowed. One of the non-airline employees suggested I ask the airline for a cardboard box for the "excess". A manager brought out a box, scissors, pen and tape so I could repack 10kgs into the second piece. What a waste of time and effort. I was flabbergasted but complied. At least Thai Airways at Heathrow never have this issue (32kgs max no question - unless on a restricted/saver ticket).

I fly Eva all the time. I get 2 bags, 32kg each included in the fare. That's business class though, but it does prove they take bags over 23kg. I guess in cattle class that may not apply.

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Not Dean,  he brings stuff like 110 volt tools and riding mowers.

This is my electronics shipment. Anything that I might need in Milwaukee tool products, I stock up on over the period of a year.  I take advantage of Christmas sales, last minute sales, reconditioned tools and all sorts of blades    I would love to bring a Milwaukee lawn mower but it weighs 70 pounds. I’ve probably made at least 10 trips in 10 years.  I have all the clothes and tennis shoes that I would ever need. I have a teak house, so any tool that cuts wood is fair game for me to bring. After this trip, I have maybe 3-4 more trips before I move back to CM in 3 years. I let my wife have use of my suitcases on the way home. Usually, she wants Thai food stuffs that are legal to bring back to the U.S., along with spices.

Edited by Dean1953
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, cmjl said:

So does Air Asia as we found out when taking a flight to Oz,bottled water bought after check in was taken off us,they then tried selling us water on the flight,on principle we refused!

All airlines charge for everything. These airlines you pay for the flight and checked luggage is paid extra for. Other airlines you pay for the flight and !luggage fees are included.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

All airlines charge for everything. These airlines you pay for the flight and checked luggage is paid extra for. Other airlines you pay for the flight and !luggage fees are included.

I agree,what I was complaining about was the fact that our water bottles were taken off us AFTER check in,Air Asia is the ONLY airline (and the most uncomfortable)that I have had the misfortune to travel with that have had the audacity to do that and then not provide free water on a long haul flight,needless to say we won't be travelling with them again.

17 hours ago, cmjl said:

what I was complaining about was the fact that our water bottles were taken off us AFTER check in,

On line check in?

Baggage or initial check in outside secure area of airport?

Gate check in?

Immigration check in?

On 4/25/2024 at 8:29 PM, scorecard said:

It's actually illegal to bring any meat products into Thailand, although I suppose being canned might make a difference.

I bring in lots of Vegemite, basil pesto - anything non-perishable that is expensive in Thailand.

18 hours ago, cmjl said:

I agree,what I was complaining about was the fact that our water bottles were taken off us AFTER check in....

While I don't disagree with some of your other comments, the only place water bottles would be disallowed is going through security, hardly an AA issue.  That happens pretty much anywhere.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:05 AM, Dean1953 said:

This is my electronics shipment. Anything that I might need in Milwaukee tool products, I stock up on over the period of a year.  I take advantage of Christmas sales, last minute sales, reconditioned tools and all sorts of blades    I would love to bring a Milwaukee lawn mower but it weighs 70 pounds. I’ve probably made at least 10 trips in 10 years.  I have all the clothes and tennis shoes that I would ever need. I have a teak house, so any tool that cuts wood is fair game for me to bring. After this trip, I have maybe 3-4 more trips before I move back to CM in 3 years. I let my wife have use of my suitcases on the way home. Usually, she wants Thai food stuffs that are legal to bring back to the U.S., along with spices.

Maybe better if you move your teak house to Milwaukee and stay there. 

• Sad 1