Favourite Bangkok Restaurant

ashacat

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o For those who are willing to move out of Sukhumvit area.

Name: Lido

Have just polished off a delishus Tiramisu with a vino rosso per favore.

Medium priced, more of a Trattoria than a Ristorante...spinach to die for.

And my favorite liquer, Limoncello goes down well...But to each their

own taste....I dont venture far from home and enjoy the villagio

atmosphere of same soi that I have mentioned...bon apetito blah blah..

:D Dukkha

Neil's Tavern (there is one in Soi Ruam Rudee and one in Asoke) the best steak I've found in Bangkok so far. Not cheap.

Neil’s Tavern has the best steak in BKK? You jest? If not, get thee to Park Avenue Steak House in Mercury Tower by BTS Chidlom – pricey, but very good. I haven’t been in a while – maybe I’ll go on Friday.

As lanny says, it's a matter of opinion and taste. Have you had any bad experiences at Neil's Tavern? I have only had excellent meals there.

I haven't tried Park Avenue, so I can't compare, but I'll try it.

If somebody asked me to take my biz partners for a dinner, I would be in trouble. In BKK, 10 mil people city. No drama in smaller places like Chicago or Sydney.

In BKK it is.

Other than non-Thai restaurants that Stickman and some others have recommended, I would not know where to go.

The Marriott has Thai food not even soi dogs would eat, but it is about 25US$ per head. On my first (and last) dinner there I said - any Thai takeaway anywhere would be better.

My secret is - a restaurant run by a couple (cooks), trained at Dusit Thani, who have bought the restaurant and rights to feed the apartment building.

Not an average eatery, airconed, but the food is worth taking pics and recepies, all Thai at it's best.

Thai prices, hordes of white blouse black skirt young students and a great atmosphere.

There are 2 places that are public knowledge: The Naval Base restaurant at Ta Chang (tourists everywhere but they don't know how to get in there) and more general Baan Kanitha, Soi 23.

Other than that, we call people into our home and cook and eat there.

Neil's Tavern (there is one in Soi Ruam Rudee and one in Asoke) the best steak I've found in Bangkok so far. Not cheap.

Neil’s Tavern has the best steak in BKK? You jest? If not, get thee to Park Avenue Steak House in Mercury Tower by BTS Chidlom – pricey, but very good. I haven’t been in a while – maybe I’ll go on Friday.

As lanny says, it's a matter of opinion and taste. Have you had any bad experiences at Neil's Tavern? I have only had excellent meals there.

I quite like Neil's Tavern, but one thing puts me off.

When you order a Steak they bring out a tray of hard frozen cuts and invite you to choose; some 15 minutes later your Steak is served; which obviously means that - assuming you have been given the piece you pointed out - it has been zapped in a Microwave to thaw rapidly, then cooked.

Not the way I want my Baht 1,500.- + Steak treated.

Now I am not so foolish to imagine that the same thing does not happen in some other Steak places but for some reason knowing about it, and having the process showcased in this way is a little irritating.

Patrick

Neil's Tavern has the best steak in BKK? You jest? If not, get thee to Park Avenue Steak House in Mercury Tower by BTS Chidlom – pricey, but very good. I haven't been in a while – maybe I'll go on Friday.

Yes, I have had the steak at Neil's - I have had steak at nearly every place you can get a decent steak in BKK, and many of the others as well. I never said Neil's was a bad steak, but I would never clarify it as the best steak in BKK (however, that is not as bad as the folks who think Sizzler is a good steak). I would also not go to Neil's specifically for a steak - while the only reason I would go to Park Avenue is for a steak.

lanny - I think it is time you end your one many boycott. I have only had excellent service and great steaks there the 5 times I have been; which is why I am due for number 6.

Hi all,

I'm thinkin of taking Mrs Ashacat out for a bit of grub tonight, but I want to go somewhere new. I'm looking for somewhere with a really nice ambiance and decent food (don't care whether it's Thai, Italian. Japanese etc etc) but not too expensive, maybe around 1,500-2,000 Baht excluding alcohol.

We usually go to Bella Napoli, Cabbages and Condoms, Crepes and Co. but I fancy something different tonight.

Has anyone got any suggestions for us? What is your favourite restauant for atmosphere and food in central Bangkok?

I like Indigo, a French restaurant on Convent Road. It's at the end of a dead-end Soi about 50 meters from Silom on the right side of Convent. Good food and ambience. Taseful interior in old wood renovated structure. Mixed Thai and Farang clientele. I've never had a bad meal there. I prefer it to Let's Eat. It's less expensive as well.

i have a problem with indigo -- the owners are thugs, one pushed a freind of mine off of the front entrance balcony at bed and broke his hip. paid well for his actions in court too.

they are thugs, pure and simple.

Edited by t.s

I quite like Neil's Tavern, but one thing puts me off.

When you order a Steak they bring out a tray of hard frozen cuts and invite you to choose; some 15 minutes later your Steak is served; which obviously means that - assuming you have been given the piece you pointed out - it has been zapped in a Microwave to thaw rapidly, then cooked.

Not the way I want my Baht 1,500.- + Steak treated.

Now I am not so foolish to imagine that the same thing does not happen in some other Steak places but for some reason knowing about it, and having the process showcased in this way is a little irritating.

Patrick

THAT has always stunned me. The first time I was taken there with the promise of a very good steak and I saw that frozen meat tray I went :o ... but what came out of the kitchen was excellent IMO. Another thing that I don't quite get is that I like steaks rare (very rare) which is not easy to get through to the waiter when you order, in most places they still overcook it for what I want. The alternative is usually a cold center, which I hate. Despite the original frozen piece, I've never had that cold center in Neil's Tavern.

Neil's Tavern has the best steak in BKK? You jest? If not, get thee to Park Avenue Steak House in Mercury Tower by BTS Chidlom – pricey, but very good. I haven't been in a while – maybe I'll go on Friday.

Yes, I have had the steak at Neil's - I have had steak at nearly every place you can get a decent steak in BKK, and many of the others as well. I never said Neil's was a bad steak, but I would never clarify it as the best steak in BKK (however, that is not as bad as the folks who think Sizzler is a good steak). I would also not go to Neil's specifically for a steak - while the only reason I would go to Park Avenue is for a steak.

As I said, it is the best I have found so far... ready and happy to discover more, Park Avenue will be the next.

What would be your 2nd/3rd choices?

On a very different style, I like the family run Thai restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 71 next to a condo building called Winning Tower, about 2,5 km from Sukhumvit, on the right hand side if you're coming from there. Very good food, simple but clean, air conditioned, very friendly service, beer always very cold.

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end we went to Face Bar on Soi 38.

Opted for the Indian side and the food was superb. The restaurant is in a lovely old Thai style wooden house with a chilled out bar downstairs serving great (but pretty pricey) cocktails. Definately recommended. Cheers bkkmei!!

Yes, the Face is very good. Another great place to try is The Banyan (French) at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 8 - expensive enough to keep the plebs out, but very good value for money at just 2,000 to 3,000 a meal without wine.

:o

Edited by palm

Any comments on 'Philippe' restaurant, Suk soi 39?

I have never had a bad meal there. Along with the La Vendome (Suk 31) and the Normandie (Oriental Hotel) the best French restaurants in town. Recommend the Skate and the chocolate dessert...

For steak I like Chockchai Steakhouse on Sukhumvit Soi 23 (far away from Soi Cowboy). The meat is locally farmed near Nakhon Ratchasima and the cuts are generous and tasty.

T-Bone Senior cut somes in at about 720THB which is the most expensive thing on the menu.

You can't beat the value for money and the steaks are as tasty, if not tastier than far more expensive places I've eaten elsewhere. Staff are attentive and decor is so-so.

They regularly run out of certain cuts, so you know the meat is fresh.

Disappointed to learn Neil's Tavern freeze their steaks, as good as people say it is I won't be dining there now.

After reading this, we went to Chockchai today for lunch. I did indeed have that huge 720 Baht T-Bone steak. Excellent. That place is as close to an American steak house as you can get with Thai beef. Comes with so-so baked potato & cooked veggies. I made the mistake of ordering a "beef salad" that honestly was a great steak meal in itself.

Best value for money steak dinner I've had in Asia...and I rarely go out to eat a slab of flesh like that. Parking is free, though limited in the plaza. You could walk to it easily from soi Cowboy or from the MRT.

Just tried the Indian restaurant on top of the Rembrandt hotel(sorry i forget its name!)but seriously good food i would recomend to all you lovers of Indian food

The Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt used to be my favorite high end Indian in BKK but I now reckon the relatively new Indus in Suk Soi 26 is better... Location and ambience are nicer too...

• 6 months later...

At the moment, best thaifood available might be at Huai Kwang MRTA-station (exit1). About 100m from Honda-store, there is huge sign "iKaraoke". Big outside restaurant with fabulous thaifood and very low prices, livemusic everynight also. Try "fried chicken with lemon grass".

Best Pasta Carbonara and very nice restaurant is Vanilla Brasserie at Siam Paragon for 190thb. I reallly recommend for that.

Best terrace on downtown is definitely found from Siam Paragon and restaurant Cafe Chilli. Try their Mojitos, you won't be disappointted.

And last but not least, Coyote on Phrom Pong. You should try their nachos with chicken and also fajitas with prawns. Best Mexican food that I've ever tasted, fresh ingredients, good selection of sauces. And you don't pay extra of anything, like in Sunrise Tacos.

After maybe over 100 restaurants I can only recommend those with all my heart. Plenty of more good places in Bangkok but those are over the top.

The Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt used to be my favorite high end Indian in BKK but I now reckon the relatively new Indus in Suk Soi 26 is better... Location and ambience are nicer too...

I haven't been to the Rembrandt, but I agree about Indus, by far the best Indian food that I have had in Bangkok.

And last but not least, Coyote on Phrom Pong. You should try their nachos with chicken and also fajitas with prawns. Best Mexican food that I've ever tasted

Not sure about this one. IMO the food in Coyote is pretty average, not a bad atmosphere tho, especially on a Thursday (Ladies night :o )

Edited by ashacat

while the only reason I would go to Park Avenue is for a steak.

lanny - I think it is time you end your one many boycott. I have only had excellent service and great steaks there the 5 times I have been; which is why I am due for number 6.

Park Avenue (as well as all restaurants at Mercury Tower-corner of Langsuan and Ploenchit) have been closed for quite awhile...they are renovating the first few floors of Mercury Tower for a new retail zone....

just a bit further down the road at the JW Marriott Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 2, I always enjoy the steaks at the New York restaurant....

Italians on Langsuan are all poor (are there any good Italians in BKK?!)

I think the following are all good for Italian:

L'Opera, Sukhumvit Soi 39

Rossini's, in the Sheraton grande on Sukhumvit

Angelinis, Shangri La Hotel

Limoncello, Sukhumvit Soi 11

Zanotti, Soi Sala Daeng

Any of these are better than good. Limoncello is not as flash as the others, but offers good value. Rossini's and Angelinis are on the expensive side, but very, very good.

La Buca ...

Expensive, sure. But I'd rather go less and eat better, than go often and be disappointed.

"Rossini's and Angelinis are on the expensive side, but very, very good."

Noted.

I just love the gourmet style restaurants at bottom floor at Siam Paragon. Let's take a quick look at those:

My own favourite with best terrace in downtown of Bangkok:

Cafe Chilli - North-eastern Thaifood

paragonrafla1.jpg

Terrace:

paragonrafla1_2.jpg

Best Mojito I've ever had:

paragonrafla1_3.jpg

Vanilla Brasserie

paragonrafla2.jpg

My favourite Pasta Carbonara in Town from Vanilla:

vanilla_pasta1.jpg

The Oriental Shop - You should try the Quiche Lorraine!

paragonrafla3.jpg

Tony Roma's - Grill

paragonrafla4.jpg

Kabuki

paragonrafla5.jpg

Manna - nice terrace, shared with Cafe Chilli (thaifood)

paragonrafla6.jpg

AOI

paragonrafla7.jpg

Lenôtre Paris - French restaurant

paragonrafla8.jpg

Crystal Jade Restaurant

paragonrafla9.jpg

Amici - Italian restaurant

paragonrafla10.jpg

Bel Guardo - Italian Restaurant

paragonrafla11.jpg

Savoury

paragonrafla12.jpg

Scala Sharks Fin Very expensive restaurant

paragonrafla13.jpg

Sharks Fin steak 18.000thb:

paragonrafla13_2.jpg

The Grill Tokyo

paragonrafla14.jpg

I totally love this restaurant at Huai Kwan. You have to take exit 1 from MRTA and walk towards Honda-Dealer (Huge sign you can't miss it). Next to that is even bigger sign where is restaurant's name: iKaraoke and microphone pictured too. Turn right and you are there, restaurant is after the parking lot on your left.

Very good quality (only) Thaifood with cheap prices. Livemusic everynight from about 19.00.

This Chicken fried with lemongrass is very good, almost best thai dish I've ever had. (unless you don't like lemongrass!):

ikaraoke1.jpg

Prawns with curry sauce:

ikaraoke5.jpg

Squid-salad:

yam_plaamyk.jpg

Not so good quality photo taken from outside:

ikaraoke4.jpg

Not too impressed to see you recommending shark fin dishes. I thought most visitors had the knowledge and compassion to avoid food such as this for obvious reasons.

I agree, anyone with even a cursory level of ecological awareness should never touch the stuff.

Not too impressed to see you recommending shark fin dishes. I thought most visitors had the knowledge and compassion to avoid food such as this for obvious reasons.

I agree, anyone with even a cursory level of ecological awareness would never touch the stuff.

• 5 months later...

I thought I would dig this thread up again as I want to go somewhere nice to eat again tonight (my birthday :o) , any new suggestions for a quiet, romantic restaurant, not too expensive (1500-2000 for 2, excluding drinks).

Cheers!

Does anyone know of a decent Tapas restaurant as well? I have heard of Rioja, but have never been. Any good?

Edited by ashacat