Amor

Recently I went with my partner to a restaurant in Boy's Town called "Amor".

I had a western dish and my companian had Thai.

We also ordered a bottle of wine.

Have to say I found the food barely eatable, heated up, and overpriced and the wine was at a nonsensical high price.

Also there was this very obese farang hanging around inside making unfunny comments to the few customers there.

I certainly will not go there again.

And my companian who is and speaks Thai told me that the staff were talking amongst themselves how they hate the over weight farang who they were saying is "kin yau"(mean).

Any one else had similar experiences at this place?

My experience is not near recent, however, the first time I went in there, Richard the gentleman spoken of in the OP was extremely solicitous and I had an excellent stew. The second time wasn't as good but still good enough for me to return.

A year later I went back, and while Richard recognized me, he was not nearly so polite and the food had reached mediocre. Unfortunately, I took my daughter and her husband in that time and I wasn't ashamed but I wasn't particulary proud of a restaurant I had touted to them.

The last time I went in I was treated like a poor relative, given a bad table and Richard was fawning over another falang of similar physical proportions who evidently was a local celebrity. Richard's clothing was hardly clean and I left permanently with the idea that Richard had been there too long. With the length of the menu, it just has to be mostly frozen ingredients.

My (not very recent because I certainly would not go there again) experience is similar to the first two posters. A number of years ago it was good, but the last two times I went there, it was first mediocre then terrible. Based on my experience, I think the posts are fair comment, contrary to the views of the third poster.

Neil

contrary to the views of the third poster.

Neil

You are the third poster.

Never eaten at the place, but I always get suspicious when a few highly negative posts about some business suddenly appear for no particular reason.

If you don't like the food or service, go somewhere else. There are only a few places in Pattaya I would bother eating. They're Thai restaurants frequently primarily by Thais and not designed to attract tourists. Boyztown would not be my first choice for good food, reasonable prices or anything more than a tourist scam anyway.

Neil

Never eaten at the place, but I always get suspicious when a few highly negative posts about some business suddenly appear for no particular reason.

If you don't like the food or service, go somewhere else. There are only a few places in Pattaya I would bother eating. They're Thai restaurants frequently primarily by Thais and not designed to attract tourists. Boyztown would not be my first choice for good food, reasonable prices or anything more than a tourist scam anyway.

I was not the third poster. There was previously a third post ranting at the first two in a rather wild way. I was simply refuting the wild allegations there. I assume the third post was removed by the poster or by the moderators (and I can understand why). In addition to missing this post, you seem to have missed the point. This restaurant used to be excellent (not all restaurants in Boyztown are bad, no matter what you may think). It is still well advertised, but is now far from excellent. There is nothing "suspicious" about this thread---I don't know any of the posters from Adam. Since you (admittedly) have no knowledge of it, what do you think, maybe your ignorance means you should not post on the subject.

Neil

I was not the third poster. There was previously a third post ranting at the first two in a rather wild way. I was simply refuting the wild allegations there. I assume the third post was removed by the poster or by the moderators (and I can understand why). In addition to missing this post, you seem to have missed the point. This restaurant used to be excellent (not all restaurants in Boyztown are bad, no matter what you may think). It is still well advertised, but is now far from excellent. There is nothing "suspicious" about this thread---I don't know any of the posters from Adam. Since you (admittedly) have no knowledge of it, what do you think, maybe your ignorance means you should not post on the subject.

I agree been many times but over the past 6 months it seems to of lost it's way. I would agree the menu is to large to be able to produce good home made food.

Regards

JOHN

I also haven't been for a long while, maybe 2 years now. but the last time I went I was not happy with the food and the prices. I understand from friends, that it is more expensive now, and all prices are ++? That would exclude me straight away from going back.

If Richard is offish with his customers and the staff moaning about him maybe he should move on?

I have eaten at Amor countless times and at several other local restaurants that are patronized by the Pattaya gay cognoscenti. The last time was last month and I believe that the standard at Amor is still consistent with years gone by. No better and no worse. Prices have gone up over the years but isn't that the case everywhere?

Amor's problem is that the ever-increasing, excellent competition shows it up for what it is – Average; coupled with it's customer base of hyper-critical, semi-retired, nothing-better-to-do-than-complain, bitchy queens.

Of course a meal at a quality 4 or 5 star restaurant such as Manhattans or Casa Pascal will leave the client feeling more satisfied than a meal at Amor but the price will be significantly different and the complainers are not comparing like with like. Nevertheless, being what they are, some customers always like to complain about something; hence the personal remarks about the owner.

Amor provides a useful service in a busy soi, employs many local staff and continues to do well in spite of the increased competition. If you don't like the place or the owner, go somewhere else but why try to put them out of business with message board backstabbing. If you don't like the guy have the guts to tell him to his face.

I shall continue to eat at Amor from time to time regardless of what is written on this board.

I am sure no one here is telling you not to go back to this place nor are they trying to put him out of business. My comments are exactly that!

As for saying Casa Pascal is more expensive, I would beg to differer. Pascals prices are net and not what Amor do which is quote a price and then add 17% to your bill for VAT and service.

Perhaps my experience with Amor/Pattaya Tai is the most recent as I had dinner twice the last weekend of July 2007. And, I'm sure I've eaten there 15-20 times in the last 10 years.

I'll dissent from the initial burst of negative energy and say that Amor is OK. I think its owner, Richard, is a gracious restauranteur well plugged into the local gay scene.

As I live in Bangkok, I have noticed that Richard retains staff very well which is awfully hard in the restaurant business generally and, in Pattaya specifically given its seasonality.

I head to Pattaya about 3 or 4 times a year and have been for last 10 years. I generally dine one evening at Amor as I like to sit outside and people watch. Richard is always gracious. Yes he tries to be funny but unfortunately he is not but he does not intrude to much on your evening. The food is what I would call ok to good. Large portions with a large menu. I don't like the fact that the prices are ++ but the service is good and I would leave a tip anyway. Richard claims that the ingredients are all fresh but I also don't know how they can be with such a large menu. The wait staff seem to have been around for years so if they don't like Richard why are they still there?

• 2 weeks later...

My husbands brother took us to this place last week, and I found the service attentive and the food seemed ok, though the prices a little high.

Unfortunately two of us suffered bad stomachs the next day and needed some strong medicine before things settled.

So cannot recommend Amor.

I tried Amor a few times years ago. Richard was a pleasant host. I can see his style wouldn't appeal to everyone. Even back then, I didn't think the food offered good value for money. The menu is too long and the cooking style is middlebrow boring at best. But there is the people watching scene, and there will always be a market for such bland predictable mediocrity in a beach resort. I seriously doubt many long term expats eat there often.

Never been back and comfortable in the feeling that I have missed nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

Since you (admittedly) have no knowledge of it, what do you think, maybe your ignorance means you should not post on the subject.

Can't imagine what you would consider to be good food and good value in Boyztown, but I do know that people frequently decide to attack businesses, especially those with a gay connection, because of a personal grudge. These grudge postings are often by "newbie" or relative "newbie" posters as well, which reduces their credibility.

Since the people involved are in business and have people working for them that depend on the income thus derived, I think attacks such as these should provide an opportunity for a response from the proprietor. You obviously become emotional when someone questions you, but at least you had the chance to respond. Maybe you should offer that privilege to business people you attack rather than doing it behind their backs.

In any event, I will post on any subject I choose, unless the moderator should decide otherwise.

Edited by Kaojai