Pigeon peas

Has anyone successfully grown pigeon peas here?

I grew some from seed but none got past 10 cms or so.

Is the direct sun too much for them?

Native to Mexico and India so I would have thought they would be ok but maybe Thai sun is to much for them.

I have some seedlings now at 10-12 cms but will plant them in a shady spot and see how they do.

Any informed advice welcome.

Cheers

Wiki says:

The pigeon pea is a perennial legume from the family Fabaceae native to the Eastern Hemisphere. The pigeon pea is widely cultivated in tropical and semitropical regions around the world, being commonly consumed in South Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean.

Edited by gamb00ler

Pigeon Pea to me, is a valuable cattle feed, makes good hay/silage, growing time from seed to harvest is about 3-4 months, or 90-120 days, same time as corn/maize.

Best grown in July/August, time when they should be some rain, and a bit cooler. 

But remember, it is a legume, and the Aphids will attack the crop, that could have been your problem.  

They grow well here but look out for bugs on them. Mealy-bugs were very fond of mine when I was growing them. I gave up on them and use leuceana, gliricidia and samanea instead as shade-nitrogen fixers.