For teaching: Is there any way to get full functionality of Adobe Pro on Linux Desktop?

I am very tired of using Windows.

My only stumbling block is the need to use the functionality of Adobe Pro.

Is there any way to get Adobe Pro, for free, on a Linux Desktop/

And, what is the best flavor of Linux, these days?

I have not used Linux for almost six years?

Has Linux Desktop improved to the extent that I can depend upon some distribution for teaching?

I hope to rid myself of Windows, but HOW MUCH LONGER MUST I WAIT/

IF only I could just use Linux, then I would be a happy camper.

Many years ago, I began to use OpenSuse, and I was happy.

But then, for some strange reason, I switched back to Windows OS.

Now, I see that Windows wants to charge me a very hefty fee for Windows 11....and....this is just not in my budget, simply because I am teaching for FREE.

What can I do?

I am thinking to myself....

Get rid of Windows, once more, for good.

But, there are a few applications, such as the Adobe PRO application, that I must have access to.

Adobe Pro is quite expensive....

image.png.c356f3b55f247956e92fa71347c4f5ff.png

I just cannot justify this expense, since I teach for FREE...to...very worthy students.

I need to go opensource, but also, I need to have the full greatness of Adobe Acrobat....

I am tired of pirating software.

The pirating of software bores me....

To death, these days...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  I am committed to getting myself OFF Windows, but....I am not even sure this might be possible for my purposes.

I am not doing this for MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a very selfless person who cares more about others than I do about myself.....

Such a quandary!

• Confused 1

I teach for FREE...just because....

I do.

What else should I do?

Nothing!

(But, I cannot afford the Adobe Pro subscription, eating at me, every month..  I need Free and Open Software, FOS.)

Otherwise, I will not be able to afford to teach.

And then, I will die of boredom.

Tks.

Ubuntu is by far the best distro imo.

Extremely stable and well maintained by Canonical.

Forget about Adobe on Linux.

You could try and use a compatibility layer like Wine but honestly it's a pain in the A.

If you're not willing to go for an alternative to Adobe, better stick to Windows imo.

Edited by MrPancake

22 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Ubuntu is by far the best distro imo.

Extremely stable and well maintained by Canonical.

Forget about Adobe on Linux.

You could try and use a compatibility layer like Wine but honestly it's a pain in the A.

If you're not willing to go for an alternative to Adobe, better stick to Windows imo.

Yes.

Wine is NOT usable.

(This is the rub.)

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

Wine is NOT usable.

(This is the rub.)

Wine is terrible.

I don't think I ever succeeded at making anything Windows work on Linux with the piece of garbage 😄

One thing you could try is run Adobe on a Windows virtual machine installed on Linux.

That could work... I guess.

Edited by MrPancake

26 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

(But, I cannot afford the Adobe Pro subscription, eating at me, every month..  I need Free and Open Software, FOS.)

Otherwise, I will not be able to afford to teach.

What exactly do you use Adobe Acrobat Pro for?

Is online editor of any use? Like https://openpdf.com/lp/edit-pdf.html or https://www.adobe.com/th_en/acrobat/online/pdf-editor.html

That's just 2 examples. If you were using Windows, I'd recommend FlexiPDF but it's not free, it's 500-1000 baht per year, depending on feature set. It's way better than Acrobat Pro.

BUT, Guys....

I will tell you....for....FING sure.....

I will NOT pay so much money to M$, or to Adobe, ....just to teach FOR FREE.

There must be a better way.

(Note: For very many years in the past, I have used SUSE, and I liked it.  However, for teaching to students, there is some functionality which does not meat the needs.)

STILL, now that I have a new computer, I have two options:

a.  Continue to use pirated software

b.  Go to FULL OpenSource software, and FOS

I think my best choice would be to adapt to using:

image.png.1e7bbb60db150a80ad391ce1fdf515e4.png

By the way:

For teaching purposes, I really do not need to resort to using proprietary software.

I just, mostly, need to use Google Tools, and things like Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Meet, etc.

I cannot afford to pay for very expensive software, honestly, if I am teaching for free.

This is what I am thinking, at the moment.

And so, I am thinking that I should GO BACK TO Using Free Software, and a Free OS, like Linus.

I am sure that I can adapt, quite easily.

NOTE2:  One important Consideration, However, is that I am worried about Ransomware.

A few years ago, about six years ago, I opened, in Linux, a few Windows Files....and then....

My entire computer was locked by Ransomware.

Therefore, is there any assurance, using more recent upgrades, that can protect against Ransomware?

Of course, there must be.

But, I am not so sure how to, using a Linux Desktop OS, protect against Ransomware....

This is my MAIN concern, actually...

(Like a broken record, I can adapt easily to use a Linux-based OS for teaching....  BUT, I cannot risk getting my computer files WIPED OUT by ransomware.  This would be a disaster, and THIS is why I have not gone back to Linux, during the past  six years, in fact.  Any thoughts about protection from Ransomware on Linux?  What needs to be done to harden one's desktop against this?  Tks.)

Note3.  I can use Linux OS to teach.  No problems.  But, I worry about a REPEAT of the ransomware fiasco I experienced six years ago....

Tks.

Posted (edited)

I am pretty much set upon returning to Linux.

I have used OpenSuse (SUSE) for over 20 years.

I asked Bard if OpenSuse would stop support soon.

Bard's reply was this:

image.png.09367ebbe09cde2f758960e926e90015.png

So, anyway, for my teaching purposes, I think I can use Linux.

My main concern is HOW TO harden my computer against Ransomware.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Sorry for being so BORING, as usual.

But....

IF I can use Linux, for teaching, just as I once used Linux for about everything...

Then....

This would totally solve my OS problem with Windows.

(I have used SUSE Linux for two decades.  This is not a problem for me.  And, I can save money by using SUSE Linux.  And...I really like SUSE Linux, too.)

Sorry to bother you guys.... but....

Windows is becoming ever increasingly difficult to pirate.....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

This distro is like great for me....

https://www.opensuse.org/

But, will this distro continue to be so well maintained?

I had heard that the maintainers of this distro might have given up on it.

I really do not know.

Please Note: I can teach just as well  on OpenSuse, I think, as long as I can protect my computer from Ransomware.

Surely, there must be a way.

Most Linux servers are hardened against Ransomware, at least as well as Windows servers, for example....

Tks.

37 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Is online editor of any use? Like https://openpdf.com/lp/edit-pdf.html or https://www.adobe.com/th_en/acrobat/online/pdf-editor.html

That's just 2 examples. If you were using Windows, I'd recommend FlexiPDF but it's not free, it's 500-1000 baht per year, depending on feature set. It's way better than Acrobat Pro.

OK.

There are certain functions of Adobe Acrobat which are not available in the Linux variety.

MAYBE, the Adobe version for Linux has improved.

Anyway, I am TOTALLY against any sort of monthly, or yearly, subscription fee for software.

This is TOTAL BS.

I will ....

NEVER subscribe to this kind of thing....

NEVER!

Posted (edited)

So, anyway, Guys...

I am totally against this new idea of paying a subscription fee to use software such as Adobe software.

Obviously, Adobe and other companies have realize that their sales have reached the saturation point where they are not able to find NEW customers for their software.  And now, they have resorted to charging a monthly fee to their user-base, just in order to maintain income from present users.

I cannot accept this.

IF Adobe goes this way...then....

I must go some other way.

F Adobe for this.

I will find someway to adapt by using FOSS to meet my needs.

And, I am sure that I can do this.

Many years ago, I used completely opensource software, and free software, to meet my needs.

I can do it again.

(But, my only concern is how to harden my computer against Ransomware, in this new age.)

Also, years ago, when using Linux, I never worried about viruses or such.

Yet, Ransomware is something totally different than your average virus.

And, I must find a solution using Linux.

Fck Windows.

Fck Apple.

These companies have CHANGED.....Big Time.

I could pay a REASONABLE fee for a decent OS.

BUT....  I will NEVER pay such BIG BUCKS for such a very intrusive OS as Windows 11.

====================

IF there is no pushback from consumers, then these two companies will get away with MURDER.....

There is NOTHING to stop them....unless....there is some pushback.

(I will find a way to rid my computers of Windows.)

And, maybe, you should....too!

==============

These software companies will NEVER be satisfied.

NEVER.

These software companies are NOT human.

And, they do not care about us humans, either!

============

I will find a way to adapt using FOSS.

No problem.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

PS:   Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I have used Adobe Acrobat for many years.  However, I will not try to make do with the free version for Linux, in the future.  Time will tell if this is enough for me.

Thank you, once again, very much for your suggestions.....

Tks.

You have consistently failed to answer the questions posed by forum members in this thread?

What do you need to use Adobe Pro for?  The only reason that I can think of is that you are actually teaching your students how to use Adobe Pro, and thus need to demonstrate its functionality etc.

Otherwise, there are other applications that provide some or all of the functionality of Adobe Pro.

As for not paying a subscription etc for use of these professional software packages, that's your problem.  Software developers are in it for business and profits, a fact of life.

I'm intrigued as to what subject you are teaching and who are your students.  

Edited by simon43

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

there are other applications that provide some or all of the functionality of Adobe Pro.

Please name one which runs, natively, on Linux.

Then, let's talk turkey.

Thank you.

Waiting.....

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

You have consistently failed to answer the questions posed by forum members in this thread?

What do you need to use Adobe Pro for?  The only reason that I can think of is that you are actually teaching your students how to use Adobe Oro, and thus need to demonstrate its functionality etc.

Otherwise, there are other applications that provide some or all of the functionality of Adobe Pro.

As for not paying a subscription etc for use of these professional software packages, that's your problem.  Software developers are in it for business and profits, a fact of life.

I'm intrigued as to what subject you are teaching and who are your students.  

I use ABBY PRO and Adobe Pro for teaching, routinely.

Your utter ignorance of what is required in the modern-day classroom is apparent for all here, on TV, to see.

But, this is nothing new, for a man like you, I would imagine.

A bad workman blames his tools.....

Stop bleating on and on about Adobe Pro.  I teach for more than 20 years and use whatever software (or none) is available to effectively teach my subjects.  I have never had to use Adobe Pro, whether it be for teaching university students, high school, primary etc.  I use my own skills and professional experience to teach the subject.

Alternative and free software apps are available that offer the functionality of Adobe Pro, albeit that you may need to use more than one app if you are unable to teach effectively without the crutch of Adobe Pro.  Go find the apps yourself by searching online - it will be useful practice for you to learn how to use a search engine.....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am very tired of using Windows.

My only stumbling block is the need to use the functionality of Adobe Pro.

Been using Acrobat Pro DC 64bit on Windows (now ver 11) for years. Don't remember it costing me anything. Whats the problem?

Your best protection against ransomware is 1) an independent, external backup clone of your system and data disks, 2) backups of your work every week with rotation of several external disks, 3) not clicking on links in email, opening files from others without scanning with malware and antivirus programs, 4) not visiting websites that offer “free”, pirated software, “adult” sires, etc.

#1 & 2 will save you if you make a mistake on 3& 4.

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

A bad workman blames his tools.....

Stop bleating on and on about Adobe Pro.  I teach for more than 20 years and use whatever software (or none) is available to effectively teach my subjects.  I have never had to use Adobe Pro, whether it be for teaching university students, high school, primary etc.  I use my own skills and professional experience to teach the subject.

Alternative and free software apps are available that offer the functionality of Adobe Pro, albeit that you may need to use more than one app if you are unable to teach effectively without the crutch of Adobe Pro.  Go find the apps yourself by searching online - it will be useful practice for you to learn how to use a search engine.....

So then, you can teach, these days, with just a stick, and some sand?

This is the way they did it in Egypt, I guess.

Anyway, you did not answer my question.

And, I know that you never can.

I would ignore you...except for the fact that....

Your running profile image is just so cute.

Don't tell me that you know there are several applications that have the same functionality as Adobe Pro, and then say you cannot find one.

What is wrong with you?

Go back and read what you originally stated.

You are just so cute, and...... NaRak Mak!

Don't spout nonsense, please.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Been using Acrobat Pro DC 64bit on Windows (now ver 11) for years. Don't remember it costing me anything. Whats the problem?

So, then.

You have been using it.

And this means that it is now FREE?

Please just share the link where I can download Adobe Acrobat Pro for free, and without a monthly subscription.

image.png.8145db7e1c7f2c579490315f0db698c5.png

Your life would be so much easier if just buying a second hand apple computer, I mean they cost as little as 6000 baht nowadays, the days it was expensive is when there wasn't really many second / third hand products yet. This while even my first MacBook Air and Mac mini '14 still work perfect today, with 10 browsers and 5 applications at once open.

• Haha 1

Have you considered alternatives to Adobe acrobat for windows?

Foxit pdf editor

This one is marked silver for working in wine, can test it?

Pdfxchange

I used to prefer this pdfxchange over acrobat. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Some are reporting that this works with wine.

The PDF exchange editor has a perpetual license for USD72. The test version of the soft can be downloaded and used, it has 70% functionality.

A link to a comparison between acrobat and pdfxchange https://www.g2.com/compare/adobe-acrobat-vs-pdf-xchange-editor

There is no equiv linux version of adobe acrobat.

Best linux distro? I'm sure you know that its the flavour that works for you https://distrowatch.com/

Edited by freeworld

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, freeworld said:

Have you considered alternatives to Adobe acrobat for windows?

Foxit pdf editor

This one is marked silver for working in wine, can test it?

Pdfxchange

I used to prefer this pdfxchange over acrobat. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Some are reporting that this works with wine.

The PDF exchange editor has a perpetual license for USD72. The test version of the soft can be downloaded and used, it has 70% functionality.

A link to a comparison between acrobat and pdfxchange https://www.g2.com/compare/adobe-acrobat-vs-pdf-xchange-editor

There is no equiv linux version of adobe acrobat.

Best linux distro? I'm sure you know that its the flavour that works for you https://distrowatch.com/

Thank you.

Of course, I have used all these that you have mentioned.

However, there are a few functionalities in Adobe Pro that I am unable to duplicate in the Free Version of Adobe Acrobat which runs on Linux.

IF I could get a pirated version of Adobe Pro to run on Linux, then.... no problemo.

Personally, at this moment, I am fairly committed to leaving Windows, and for good.

I might need to make a few sacrifices.

But, these sacrifices might be worth it.

(This is not a matter of money.  Only, it's a matter of Microsoft which takes my money but does not give good support which is commensurate with the money I give to M$)

We really do need MUCH more support from governments to make Linux as good or better than Windows.

I will install OpenSuse on my next PC.

I just hope that the world will continue to support Linux for the Desktop.

Please Note:  I have not used Linux on the desktop for about 6 years.  I have no idea what to expect.  I just hope that Linux-Desktop has made many improvements during the time I have been away from Linux.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 9:36 AM, simon43 said:

the crutch of Adobe Pro.

I agree with you, 100 percent.

Relying on a crutch is just too easy.

There are always workarounds.

Might take a bit more effort.

But, being free is a feeling that is worth the effort.

I have become lazy during the past eight years.

Now, I must find other paths to accomplish the same things.

If everyone were to do this..then....

This might be a better world.

(I might pay for Adobe Pro if it were FULLY PORTED to Linux Desktop.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 3/31/2024 at 9:08 AM, simon43 said:

What do you need to use Adobe Pro for? 

Refuses to answer. 😂

Imaginary need. What do these trolls get out of playing these games? So obsessive.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1