Seeking Advice on Exempt to Non O Visa Conversion Bank Issues

I am planning to return to Thailand after a few years of absence, entering the country on a 30-day visa exemption and hoping to convert it to a Non Imm O.

I still maintain an account with Bangkok Bank in Phuket, where I had previously obtained retirement extensions.

I will be relocating to Ranong and I am curious if I can meet the 800k criteria for the Non O Visa just using the local Bangkok Bank branch in Ranong, for bank letter statements etc., without having to open a new account there.

I have a friend who is closely acquainted with someone at SCB in Ranong. She mentioned that I would need a Yellow Book to open an account at her branch.

If I were to open a new account at Bangkok Bank in Ranong, I anticipate it might be equally challenging.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights on this matter. Thank you in advance for your help.

• Confused 1

The bank in Ranong should be able to produce the letter and statement you need for the conversion/extension.  However, as there are some things they will not be able to do - new passbook, new ATM card, etc., it would be worthwhile trying to open an account with them.  It costs nothing to do it and if they will without too much foolishness it's better all round.  If they insist on you needing a non-O visa to open then go ahead and get the documents first then you can go back once you have the visa and open an account.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

The bank in Ranong should be able to produce the letter and statement you need for the conversion/extension.  However, as there are some things they will not be able to do - new passbook, new ATM card, etc., it would be worthwhile trying to open an account with them.  It costs nothing to do it and if they will without too much foolishness it's better all round.  If they insist on you needing a non-O visa to open then go ahead and get the documents first then you can go back once you have the visa and open an account.

I was hoping the Ranong branch could give me a new bank book as the old one is full and a new ATM card as the old one is expired.

If the Tor Mor in Ranong want to compare bank book to statement and need an ATM slip I will be screwed in getting the Non O visa.

Edited by LosLobo

45 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

...If the Tor Mor in Ranong want to compare bank book to statement and need an ATM slip I will be screwed in getting the Non O visa.

Who or what is the Tor Mor?

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If your account is still valid, i.e. not been closed because it was dormant while you were away, just get a new card and passbook from the Ranong branch, they can both be issued by any branch.

As long as passport information is correct.  Believe that can only be updated at original branch.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As long as passport information is correct.  Believe that can only be updated at original branch.

The original passport has expired, and I have a new one as of this month.

Only the passport number has changed.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

The original passport has expired, and I have a new one as of this month.

Only the passport number has changed.

You'll need the old passport also.  Ranong may update that info also if you speak to then nicely, bring that up last after they've sorted the passbook and card and they realise what a nice man you are.  A local BBL branch updated my passport details and said that they would send the signed form to the account holding branch for me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And do you have the expired passport?

There is a date stamped in the 'bank use only'' part of my bank book which is a few months after the issue of my last passport which I still have.

I cannot be 100% sure if the account was not started before my last passport though.

Nevertheless, on my last passport, the first page shows the passport number of the passport before that and the transition by Immigration of my original Non O visa.

So I do have an official record of all the changes in passport number.

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

There is a date stamped in the 'bank use only'' part of my bank book which is a few months after the issue of my last passport which I still have.

I cannot be 100% sure if the account was not started before my last passport though.

Nevertheless, on my last passport, the first page shows the passport number of the passport before that and the transition by Immigration of my original Non O visa.

So I do have an official record of all the changes in passport number.

Suspect bank would not have a clue about immigration stamps - and they may well say you must provide a police report of loss for their books.  At any rate believe you will have to visit your Phuket bank branch to (hopefully) resolve.  Other option might be BBL Hqs here in Bangkok if that is in your routing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Thai for Immigration.

If you look at all their forms the form number is proceeded by TM.

Gor Tor Mor for instance is Krung Thep Mahanakorn or Bangkok.

Thank you. In future, please write your posts entirely in English.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I remember correctly, to get a new passbook, any BBL can do it for you.  A new ATM on the account in Phuket most likely will require you to go to Phuket.  The Ranong Branch should be able to provide you with both a statement and a letter, as you know the Rnong Branch will have to request the statement from their Hq in Bangkok anyway.  Uusually takes 5 working days.

You can request the Bangkok bank Ranong bank transfer your account from Phuket to Ranong.
If you leave the account in Phuket, you'll incur 'out of province' charges each time you withdraw from an ATM.

Thank you for the feedback on my initial post.

I contacted Bangkok Bank Customer Service yesterday to determine which passport was associated with my account through my online access and received a prompt response today, suggesting I reach out directly to the Phuket branch.

Upon calling, they verified that my account is linked to my recently expired passport, which is still in my possession.

They instructed me to visit the Bangkok Bank branch in Ranong with both my old and new passports, along with my expired bank book and ATM card, to issue a new bank book and ATM card within a few days.

I did not confirm whether the account could be transferred to avoid the 25 baht non-province transaction fee but plan to inquire later. The excellent service was unexpected. The next challenge is Ranong Immigration.