Surge in smog levels exceeds safe limits in northern Thailand

snoop1130

Thailand-smog-levels.jpg

A surge in smog levels was experienced this morning, with PM2.5 dust readings surpassing 200 microgrammes per cubic metre of air in three northern provinces, including Chiang Mai.

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) disclosed at 9am that 20 provinces registered red (significantly harmful) levels of particulate matter 2.5 micrometres and below in diameter (PM2.5). The readings fluctuated between 76.1 and 227.2 microgrammes per cubic metre of air during the last 24 hours. The safety limit set by the government is 37.5µg/m³.

The worst scenario was observed in the northern province of Mae Hong Son, where the level recorded was 227.2µg/m³. Other highly affected areas included Chiang Rai at 209.2µg/m³, Chiang Mai at 208.5µg/m³, Phayao at 183.4µg/m³, and Nan at 173.8µg/m³. The remaining provinces within the red-level zone were Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Loei, Tak, Nakhon Phanom, Udon Thani, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Sukhothai, Kalasin, and Mukdahan.

Furthermore, orange levels, indicating initial unsafety, of PM2.5 were found in 19 other provinces. The readings here varied from 39.1 to 67.9µg/m³. The provinces were Khon Kaen, Phitsanulok, Amnat Charoen, Phetchabun, Kamphaeng Phet, Ubon Ratchathani, Maha Sarakham, Chaiyaphum, Roi Et, Yasothon, Kanchanaburi, Uthai Thani, Phichit, SiSsaket, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin, Buriram, Nakhon Sawan, and Ratchaburi.

The regions experiencing moderate to good air quality were provinces in the lower central plain, the lower northeast, the east, and the south. The eastern province of Rayong recorded the best air quality with a level of 15.5µg/m³, closely followed by Trat, also in the east, with 15.9µg/m³, reported Bangkok Post.

The intensity of the red-coded PM2.5 levels was higher yesterday, April 2. GISTDA’s map indicates how the red zones of PM2.5 blanketed the north, the upper central plain, and the upper northeast this morning.

In related news, northern Thailand is grappling with a persistent smog problem, typically attributed to crop waste burning, deforestation for mushroom harvesting and vehicle emissions, prompting calls for a global shift to plant-based diets.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Picture courtesy of Public Relations Department

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-03

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A surge in smog levels was experienced this morning, with PM2.5 dust readings surpassing 200 microgrammes per cubic metre of air in three northern provinces, including Chiang Mai.

Sack the governor... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

image.png.0a222945b802c7407f54d57bf192a343.png

Chiang mai is cooking the books. Samoeng often turns off its meter (on 500+ days) and Chiang Dao and Fang have no meter at all. Phrao seems to be missing even. If these meters were on it would ensure CM province hits the world rankings every day. 

I spent so much money to live here now,  but I dont regret it. But in march and april i spend most of my time in the house running Air improving purifiers. However if I previously(1995) had known how bad it will become, I probably would choose to live somewhere else. I can live with it because it is not the whole year, but it is really terrible for approximately 3 months and quite obviously the authorities seems to totally accept it and and also are very passive to really do anything about it. The whole of South Asia is a burning inferno. It has been like this for many years and I really hope that people will stay clear of North Thailand during Songkran, because lack of Tourists is the only thing that might spark authorities to actually do something about it..

• Thanks 1