Thai passport for daughter

My daughter, 19, needs to get a new Thai passport. Unfortunately, they told her that she needs both parents to be with her at the office to renew it (once she's 20 she can do it herself), but her mom is overseas and not coming back anytime soon. They said she could do it if she had her mom’s Thai ID, or her mom could send her some kind of paperwork, but it wasn’t clear to my daughter what that was, and I don't think her mom is up to helping much. Any ideas on what to do ?

She’ll be coming back from abroad after it expires. Can my daughter get thru immigration with her Thai ID and her expired Thai passport? If worse comes to worst she can enter on her US passport as a tourist I suppose. 

1 hour ago, lost_in_space said:

Can my daughter get thru immigration with her Thai ID and her expired Thai passport? If worse comes to worst she can enter on her US passport as a tourist I suppose. 

Yes she can, my daughter did it. If she enters on the expired passport she will need to make the new passport to leave. Immigration advised my daughter to enter on US passport as she was coming for 3 weeks She said no we were taking her to get both a new ID and a Passport the same day as arrival. She was 24 though. So how long is she coming for is the key. I would talk to the ministry that deals with Passports on Changwattana and see what you can do with regards to mom being out of the picture. My daughter knew exactly what to do. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Every immigration office is different and gives different advice on these matters.  I have had my kids renew their Thai passports and ID cards both in Thailand and abroad and always got contradicting information.  Their Thai mother passed away when they were teenagers so I've been through this when they were under the age of 20.  I did have their mother's paperwork such as a Thai death certificate and her last ID card as well as her old (and now expired) passport to help facilitate the various immigration officers.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lost_in_space said:

Any ideas on what to do ?

Does she need to renew her passport because she plans to travel soon? 

When my wife was out of Thailand in the States and needed to return but her passport was expired, she had the local Thai consulate issue her an emergency travel document.

It was easy to do, a copy of the expired passport and her ID card. . All on line and it took a couple of day for them to email her the Emergency travel document. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lost_in_space said:

My daughter, 19, needs to get a new Thai passport. Unfortunately, they told her that she needs both parents to be with her at the office to renew it (once she's 20 she can do it herself), but her mom is overseas and not coming back anytime soon. They said she could do it if she had her mom’s Thai ID, or her mom could send her some kind of paperwork, but it wasn’t clear to my daughter what that was, and I don't think her mom is up to helping much. Any ideas on what to do ?

She’ll be coming back from abroad after it expires. Can my daughter get thru immigration with her Thai ID and her expired Thai passport? If worse comes to worst she can enter on her US passport as a tourist I suppose. 

Yes, both parents need to approve a passport for a Thai minor (under 20 years of age).

Your daughter can enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport without problems, but she'll need a new Thai passport to lease the country. She cannot use her US passport to leave, if she haven't entered on it.

And the link shared abroad by @OJAS is of course interesting.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 4:05 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

Every immigration office is different and gives different advice on these matters.  I have had my kids renew their Thai passports and ID cards both in Thailand and abroad and always got contradicting information...

Immigration offices do not issue passports.

• Agree 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:04 PM, lost_in_space said:

She can definitely enter Thailand with an expired passport. My wife and son have both done this. You can also use the expired passport to show the airline that you do not need a Thai visa. The Emirates check-in operator was not sure of this but a call to the supervisor soon sorted it. You cannot travel on an expired passport but you can use it to prove citizenship.

19 hours ago, Maestro said:

Immigration offices do not issue passports.

Oops wrong office.  I meant the passport division of the Dept. of Consular Affairs within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Thanks for the reminder!