Boycott Bangkok Post & The Nation

Sanpatong

I've stopped buying (as well as reading) either the Bangkok Post as well as The Nation due to the blatant cheering the junta's line.

I'm not sure if they're being actively censored, or self-censored, or just plain delusional.

I'll stick to international (regional) news sources when it comes to Thai politics for the time being.

I've stopped buying (as well as reading) either the Bangkok Post as well as The Nation due to the blatant cheering the junta's line.

I'm not sure if they're being actively censored, or self-censored, or just plain delusional.

I'll stick to international (regional) news sources when it comes to Thai politics for the time being.

I buy the Post for the cartoons and the Sudoko. I don't care about politics. Reminds me of a student I met a few days ago wearing an Anarchy armband.

She could be arrested for that!

those papers are an absolute joke

they either print propaganda articles or print articles when they have a little tea money

articles - really? i thought the bangkok post primarily prints advertisements with a little bit of news, space permitting of course.. :o

Edited by Payboy

The Business & Sports sections are an OK read in the Bangkok Post, as are the Comics & Crutch's Sunday section :o But otherwise, you can't beat the Internet...I only look over the Bangkok Post when it's around some coffee shop / office I happen to be in, and I boycotted The Nation a long time ago because of the utter <deleted> writing they spout on an hourly basis...they must be hiring their reporters from among the bargirls the editors frequent.

those are an absolute joke

they either print propaganda articles or print articles when they have a little tea money

articles - really? i thought the bangkok post primarily prints advertisements with a little bit of news, space permitting of course.. :o

I usually read most of it for the local content and postbag, any other stuff its off the web.

really its no different to news corp etc having influence on the media, eg Fox news is utter garbage

The superb "Database" supplement in Wednesday's edition is the only reason I ever buy the BP, these days. There is also more "news" in the "home review" quips on the back page than you'll find in the main rag on any given day... :o

indeed, donnyboy, getting information from one point would be useless, as media (papers AND tv) is crap these days all over the world. In order to get some truth out of huge pile of info avail, you have to source more. Newspapers are on the dyinglist anyway, as electronic news is squeezing them really hard. Governments in all countries try to or are heavy into media control, even if it looks like it is not. PRogramming of the masses is big business...

My personal opinion: buying A newspaper is wasting time and money.

I agree, but they generally seem to be flying off the shelves...trying to get any of the above 2 publications in the afternoon can be quite challenging (at least in the Sukhumvit/Ramkhamhaeng/Silom areas)

The Bangkok Post is probably one of the worst papers in SE Asia apart from the nonexistant Myanmar Times :o in its syncophant stance on issues. It's another weak willed populist rag in a developing world country with little freedom of speech laws. It lacks integrity and journalistic oversight.

I stopped buying both papers months ago, and for the same reasons.

I have to read the BP every day; how else could I spend the day smiling. ROFL whenever I read the about the great wizards of Thailand: cutting corruption; making everything transparent; how they accuse everything of being harmful to National Security; coyote dancers corrupting the virgins in thailand; no prostitutes in pattaya; only 1 pirated DVD/CD in Pantip etc. etc.

Its like reading an adults (no not XXX) comic book every day; we have archie, jughead, goofey, daffy, richie rich and his cousin whats his name and a cast of thousands.

My day wouldn't be complete without my morning smile.

Anyone can boycott whatever they wish, I guess.

As an adult, I find that I can filter out what I disbelieve and without knowing the "official" line, I can't guess at the real story.

If you view current authorities as an enemy, then understanding that enemy makes sense, no ?

As an adult, I find that I can filter out what I disbelieve and without knowing the "official" line, I can't guess at the real story.

If you view current authorities as an enemy, then understanding that enemy makes sense, no ?

I think the point the OP was making was that a boycott would hit the fools where it hurts - in the pocket! Maybe then they might change. (Ever positive - me :o )

Crap papers, the business section and entertainment section are almost entirely based on press releases. Same goes for all these English language freebie magazines, only blue skies and great reviews. BK Magazine seems to be the only mag with integrity.

Have anyone read a bad restaurant review in The Post?

Pulitzer prize journalism.
How a restaurant get a bad review when the Post calls them and them they are coming on a certain day?

i read the post everyday ,cant read on the net ,i like the black marks on the coffee cup,besides i can do the cross word and the stories are laughable :o

indeed, donnyboy, getting information from one point would be useless, as media (papers AND tv) is crap these days all over the world. In order to get some truth out of huge pile of info avail, you have to source more. Newspapers are on the dyinglist anyway, as electronic news is squeezing them really hard. Governments in all countries try to or are heavy into media control, even if it looks like it is not. PRogramming of the masses is big business...

Aw come on tracker, give the print media a little credit. Afterall, what would we do with all the unemployed illegal loggers suppling paper pulp, what would we use to catch the droppings in the bird cage, what about the poor sods who earn a living selling paper for recycle, printer and ink suppliers would go out of business, news stands would be bankrupt, where would all those business folks staying in 5 star hotels get the real facts about Thailand so they can go home and claim they are experts. In short it would be an economic disaster. Covet your newspaper so when the disaster hits and we are packing to flee the kingdom, we'll have something to wrap around our beer mugs.

Edited by roietjimmy

Owned by Sondís Manger media Co? If I remember right: I sent an email regarding a new magazine project and got an answer from a foreginer. Maybe it was you...

Does anyone remember the Thailand Times? I used to work there and could tell some stories about working for a Thai newspaper :o

Seonai I remember the Thailand Times. Not the Bangkok Times, that was way before my time, pre-WWII.

I stopped buying both papers a long time ago as I get most of my news from the net now. The occasional times when I do buy one I have noticed how they have deteriorated from what they were many years ago.

I used to love reading Trink in the Bangkok World and later the Post. He was so bad he was good. But I don't give a hoot!