Boycott Bangkok Post & The Nation

Sanpatong

What's all the cynicism, both papers are a valuable source for local news.

I have a quick look online through both every morning.

Of course one needs to make allowances for where we are, both in terms of the writing quality and the contents.

Impossible to boycott either of them, how on earth could i clean up doggie accidents ???

Thai Rath works very well for that, and is cheaper. :o

And then there's the neat little booklet with the proposed constitution: perfect!

Edited by Sanpatong

Sanpatong>> Can we count on you buying any newspaper that would be cheering on Thaksin as the great hero of the nation?

You most certainly can't. I dislike Thaksin as much as the next guy. Some balance however when it comes to reporting on anything or anyone opposing the military junta and for what reason(s) would be appreciated, though.

What made me snap and post this was an article in the Bangkok post that, while blaming protesters for violence then in virtually the next paragraph dolled up the proposted constitution as being somehow democratic by stating 'the first time in history there's actually a referendum on a constitution'. Well duh, without mentioning what general Surayud said which was basically "You either vote for this constitution in front of you, or for what I have behind my back and which you may not like as much.." Yeah, that sounds like a really wonderful choice right there.

And of course the complete hypocrisy on the part of the Nation (especially) on accusing Thaksin of curbing press freedom, but gloss over FAR worse censorship (incl. Internet censorship and trying to track people using the internet) under the current military government.

There may also be a little chance that both of these papers could end up being "Nationalised" with Colonel Major General Captain Seargant Whosoever as the new editor, should they "rock the boat" too much.In fairness though, the Bangkok Post has had a few "interesting" Commentary articles of late Sanitsuda Ekachai for one makes a few "stinging" points.

I read online . I do not buy any paper anymore , rarely sometimes when there is big news .

The last time indeed like the poster above pointed out that it is Ekachai who makes an interesting read .

There are some nice columns from time to time but internet suites me better . Victory to technology !

No one can beat BP and the Nation in covering local news and offer better reporting. Internet is a joke - the actual news gathering happens on the streets, in real life. Bloggers and analysts simply comment on news published by others. If you want to check sources or names you can't beat Nation's online archive and BPs current news online is also the best internet edition around.

What people complain is editorial direction, or, sometimes, actual news content. Sanpatong, they didn't make Sondhi to say what he said. They reported it, and whether you like it or not it's a fact.

Generals said it form the very beginning. They'll hold elections by the end of the year and they won't wait for a perfect constitution. It was never meant to be a beauty contest between CDA draft and military draft. The second one is a only a fallback option.

Boycott as much as you wish, but at the same time don't forget to boycott TV's very own Thailand News Clippings Forum. Have quick look and you'll find out where they get half their news from.

As for me, i think i shall keep to reading The Sun, The Daily Mirror and News of the World.

Unlike in Thailand, there is no such sensationalist or bias crap in British or Western newspapers.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Boycott as much as you wish, but at the same time don't forget to boycott TV's very own Thailand News Clippings Forum.

Obviously. :o

But at least it is free (as in baht), and occasionally someone has an interesting comment.

As for me, i think i shall keep to reading The Sun, The Daily Mirror and News of the World.

Unlike in Thailand, there is no such sensationalist or bias crap in British or Western newspapers.

At least you would have alternatives to those. Currently Thailand is like only having Fox news and nothing else.

Boycott as much as you wish, but at the same time don't forget to boycott TV's very own Thailand News Clippings Forum. Have quick look and you'll find out where they get half their news from.

:D

The tits on page 3 are great, aren't they? :o

The 'letters' page is the only peice of interest for me for the reasons given above. At least they haven't started nobbling them yet...

I wouldnt be so sure of that. Just take a look at the letters printed each week - same sudonames over and over again. I have written to the Post on a number of occassions

on serious matters i.e like where is the appology for the dismissed editor who stated that the new airport had cracks on the runways - not even an aknowledgment!

Bangkok Post, Pattaya Mail, Superman comic - at least the superman comic hasnt been nobbled!

Owned by Sondís Manger media Co? If I remember right: I sent an email regarding a new magazine project and got an answer from a foreginer. Maybe it was you...
Does anyone remember the Thailand Times? I used to work there and could tell some stories about working for a Thai newspaper :o

They were not really a real newspaper. The company needed an English newspaper in order to get on the Singapoer stock exchange. I did a bit of work there in 96, just before it closed.

those papers are an absolute joke

they either print propaganda articles or print articles when they have a little tea money

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Right,therefore I only trust Foxnews and especially The O'Reilly Factor.

Unlike in Thailand, there is no such sensationalist or bias crap in British or Western newspapers

So why is it that which ever party 'the sun' supports gets in to number 10?

Bias in UK newspapers is blatantly obvious.

Politicians in the west are scared of the news media - in most parts of Asia it's the other way round.

No one can beat BP and the Nation in covering local news and offer better reporting. Internet is a joke - the actual news gathering happens on the streets, in real life. Bloggers and analysts simply comment on news published by others. If you want to check sources or names you can't beat Nation's online archive and BPs current news online is also the best internet edition around.

What people complain is editorial direction, or, sometimes, actual news content. Sanpatong, they didn't make Sondhi to say what he said. They reported it, and whether you like it or not it's a fact.

Generals said it form the very beginning. They'll hold elections by the end of the year and they won't wait for a perfect constitution. It was never meant to be a beauty contest between CDA draft and military draft. The second one is a only a fallback option.

I thought they originally said that elections would be held by September.

Well, in all honesty, a couple months more or less doesn't make that much difference; I mean what DOES happen on time in this country. I do however blame them for trying to 'play government' with a variety of oddball actions (the stock market <deleted> up, various morality inspired initiatives, breaking patents in an overly blunt way, censorship and even writing a COMPLETE NEW CONSTITUTION, all of which they completely don't have a democratic mandate for. And they do this completely unopposed and unchecked by any force or media outlet; For sure I can understand the need to 'keep one's head down' if you still want to be in the newpaper business tomorrow, but then at least make it clear THAT you're applying censorship. This blatant cheering / being apologist for the band of idiots who run the government and misrepresenting anyone who opposes them is quite sickening.

Sanpatong>> Can we count on you buying any newspaper that would be cheering on Thaksin as the great hero of the nation?

You most certainly can't. I dislike Thaksin as much as the next guy. Some balance however when it comes to reporting on anything or anyone opposing the military junta and for what reason(s) would be appreciated, though.

What made me snap and post this was an article in the Bangkok post that, while blaming protesters for violence then in virtually the next paragraph dolled up the proposted constitution as being somehow democratic by stating 'the first time in history there's actually a referendum on a constitution'. Well duh, without mentioning what general Surayud said which was basically "You either vote for this constitution in front of you, or for what I have behind my back and which you may not like as much.." Yeah, that sounds like a really wonderful choice right there.

And of course the complete hypocrisy on the part of the Nation (especially) on accusing Thaksin of curbing press freedom, but gloss over FAR worse censorship (incl. Internet censorship and trying to track people using the internet) under the current military government.

Far worse internet censorship? Well, might depend on what sites you are visiting I guess, but I was much worse affected under Thaksins rule here, apart from YouTube - that wouldn't have been handled any differently...sadly.

Well, in all honesty, a couple months more or less doesn't make that much difference; I mean what DOES happen on time in this country. I do however blame them for trying to 'play government' with a variety of oddball actions (the stock market <deleted> up, various morality inspired initiatives, breaking patents in an overly blunt way, censorship and even writing a COMPLETE NEW CONSTITUTION, all of which they completely don't have a democratic mandate for. And they do this completely unopposed and unchecked by any force or media outlet; For sure I can understand the need to 'keep one's head down' if you still want to be in the newpaper business tomorrow, but then at least make it clear THAT you're applying censorship. This blatant cheering / being apologist for the band of idiots who run the government and misrepresenting anyone who opposes them is quite sickening.

Before you stop buying the papers you should at least read them, it has surprised me almost daily reading the editorials of both, there are some scathing blasts at the junta. I used to believe that the Nation was really weak but the freedom of the press has given them courage that I never saw before. They tell Sonthi he shouldn't run, because he doesn't have enough money, the PM he should have kept his mouth shut when complaining about the uud. Unless I am reading a different paper, they are not bad, their numbers could use a little work and they could use at least one investigative reporter but over all they could work in a western town of say 100,000 population.

Oh, and they are a military junta what the heck would they need a democratic mandate for? Completely or other wise, they have tanks for that light duty sort of stuff.

The Nation and the Bangkok Post stack up well against many Canadian newspapers such as the Toronto Star and Toronto Sun. For example, the article in the Nation by M.R. Pridiyathorn (23 July) about the 'volatile baht' was very informative as was the series of articles (39 in total) about the economic crisis ten years ago written by Thanong Khanthong. Thanong has another excellent column, 'Has the wake-up call registered with exporters?', from 26 July. This reporter has inside contacts, which he makes use of to provide meaningful analysis.

Compare his reporting with the Toronto Star a number of years back when they went into hysterics over Ian Smith's Rhodesia. They called for the British to send a gunboat or two to bring Smith down. Unfortunately, it is not that easy to get gunboats from the African coast to Rhodesia.

Also, some Canadians might recall that the Star wanted the Queen to intervene and stop the free trade deal between Canada and America. This would not be easy for her to do as a constitutional monarch; therefore, it was difficult to know if the paper, which wants to ditch the British monarchy as the Canadian head of state, was actually advocating the granting of more rights to the Queen to act, let's say, in the manner of good old Henry VIII and wield the power of an absolute monarch.

Stock market rebounded completely and keep going up. By now the initial <deleted> up is largely forgotten. "Breaking patents" is a completely legal action, even if controversial. Writing new constitution is what they HAD TO do after tearing up the old one. You can't live without constitution in Thailand.

As far as being unopposed - this government reversed quite a few unpopular proposals (ISOC act is the latest) after civil society voiced strong protest through the media. That speaks a lot about media freedom, too - they give space to government opponents and critical views and opinions.

Under "democratic" Thaksin rule many laws didn't even reach the parlament and were accepted at the Cabinet level. No public input was ever considered.

People have a lot more voice and a lot more power under the junta.

Stock market rebounded completely and keep going up. By now the initial <deleted> up is largely forgotten. "Breaking patents" is a completely legal action, even if controversial. Writing new constitution is what they HAD TO do after tearing up the old one.

Why did they HAVE TO tear up the old one in the first place? It was the only one ever that came about under democratic circumstances in 1997.

You can't live without constitution in Thailand.

We've been doing it for almost a year now.

Under "democratic" Thaksin rule many laws didn't even reach the parlament and were accepted at the Cabinet level. No public input was ever considered.

Under "Democratic" Thaksin rule people got to vote in an election and nobody and no party was banned from participating.

I read the BP everyday, but it really is getting worse, and there isn't much to read in it. Compare it to something like the Straits Times in S'pore which is a heavilly censored counthry and it is a very inferior product.

I find that the BP is really just a cut and paste paper with very little writing done by journalists.

Postbag is ok, but is dominated by the same people day in day out. I';m pretty sure that there are more people writing in than just the 7 or 8 regulars. Please no more Eric Bhart letters!!!

Perspectives on a Sunday is about the most interesting - and the contentious Imitaz Muqbil always does a greast job of winding the majority of people up with his blatant bias, although I rarely find myself agreeing with what he says, at least it is nice to read about someone with an opinion.

The sports section is reasonable, but again it is all cut and paste. The Wanchai bloke who rights about football, well he makes Shebby Singh look knowledgable.

Guru - it reminds me of a University magazine.

Crutch is a good read and Ekachai has writtern acouple of good commentries in the past couple of months.

All in all, it really isn't worth 25bht, but I have always been a newspaper reader wherever I have lived, so it's just a habit to buy a paper and read it.

I've stopped buying (as well as reading) either the Bangkok Post as well as The Nation due to the blatant cheering the junta's line.

I'm not sure if they're being actively censored, or self-censored, or just plain delusional.

I'll stick to international (regional) news sources when it comes to Thai politics for the time being.

I quite like the Bangkok Post, at times they really make the junta look like fools, they could leave out the odd article about what some fortune teller says, but its easy enough to read between the lines, they are self censored of course, but thats thailand, that starts at the very top

Stock market rebounded completely and keep going up. By now the initial <deleted> up is largely forgotten. "Breaking patents" is a completely legal action, even if controversial. Writing new constitution is what they HAD TO do after tearing up the old one.

Why did they HAVE TO tear up the old one in the first place? It was the only one ever that came about under democratic circumstances in 1997.

Because they needed to legitimise the coup. Coups were illegal under 1997 consitution.

You can't live without constitution in Thailand.

We've been doing it for almost a year now.

Wrong, there's an interim consitution that governs National Legislative Assembly, Constitution Drafting Assembly and everything else.

Under "Democratic" Thaksin rule people got to vote in an election and nobody and no party was banned from participating.

What's so democratic about elections if the government is not going to listen to you anyway, no matter who you vote for? That's the whole point of democracy - the government must act according to people's will and be accountable to people. In that sense the junta installed government is more democtratic than Thaksin's, even if unelected.

:o:D

I very much enjoy reading the online versions of the Bangkok Post and The Nation. I do not find them much different than most other newspapers in the sense that they contain a lot of biased journalism and the caveat that you have to exercise some common sense and not believe everything you read.

those papers are an absolute joke

they either print propaganda articles or print articles when they have a little tea money

articles - really? i thought the bangkok post primarily prints advertisements with a little bit of news, space permitting of course.. :o

Good point

and the amount of cutting and pasting is farcical. Many a business section article is pasted from the set website or from the iq business thai paper, which is then amazingly found on one of nation or post 2 or 3 days later in its exact form

if only the journalists would own up to these confessions in thailand(which is rare indeed)

and then to read the overseas news networks covering thailand is just as bad because their main sources are the local papers!! unreal you might ask yourself

well

according to one honest reporter named Harry Mount who put his head on the block for confessing the reality of news sourcing to the spectator paper in the uk.

"Much of the job of the foreign correspondent, is to copy out the papers of the country he's reporting from"

"This is completely standard practice," he adds boasting that one article he wrote last year was a "complete plagiarisation" of a story from Fox News Website.

This lovely rare confession by a journalist led to his sacking as the New York correspondent of the UK Daily Telegraph

(and yes do as the bkk jounos do and cut and paste, which i have done from the "the private eye paper dated 22 june 2007)

What a snowball sham affect

if one paper prints unsusbsantiated rubbish, they all follow suit to the end result that along the way more and more unsuspecting readers start to actually believe what they read

Common sense is indeed needed for all forms of news media in thailand

As Anand Panyarachun admitted on his interview on newsline with tom minttier, which was broadcast in thailand a few days ago, the news media is damaged at its core with corruption as to many times an article is wriiten due to the amount of money passed under the table however posistive or negative the content or pressure from certain sides like the milliatry.