Quick Thai License question

My 5 year Thai motorbike licence ends this Sep 2024. But I probably leave well before that, maybe 3 months before... 

Then back again in the winter, could even be early 2025.

Now I rather put off renewing if I can - kick the ball as far as it goes... lol...! 

But any issue renewing after a few months of expiry...? Any penalties or problem there, even after 5 or 6 months..., I don't have to start from scratch or anything ...!? 🤔

Or is it much better to go and do it before expiry, how far ahead can I go and renew, even 4 or 5 months ahead is possible ...? 

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

Any penalties or problem there, even after 5 or 6 months..., I don't have to start from scratch or anything ...!?

No penalty up to one year after expiry.

After one year: theory/multiple choice test.

After three years: start from scratch like new license.

even 4 or 5 months ahead is possible ...? 

No, three months ahead for the 5yr license.

But in your case not useful.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No penalty up to one year after expiry.

However, be aware that your insurance will not cover if you do not have a valid license; and the license is not valid after the experation date.

17 hours ago, Agusts said:

My 5 year Thai motorbike licence ends this Sep 2024. But I probably leave well before that, maybe 3 months before... 

Then back again in the winter, could even be early 2025.

Now I rather put off renewing if I can - kick the ball as far as it goes... lol...! 

But any issue renewing after a few months of expiry...? Any penalties or problem there, even after 5 or 6 months..., I don't have to start from scratch or anything ...!? 🤔

Or is it much better to go and do it before expiry, how far ahead can I go and renew, even 4 or 5 months ahead is possible ...? 

Renew late and get 6 years license

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys, I got the info I was after, can do the renew 3 months before, and up to 1 year after..., and I know about riding with expired licence...

Although in UK even if the photo licence expired (which it does every 10 years) , I think the paper one valid till I'm 75 years old, so technically we are not without licence, so maybe fined but insurance should be valid..., not sure... , that's another world anyway...!