Filipino couple arrested for shipping 10 kilos of cannabis

snoop1130

c1_2774243_790.jpg

A couple from the Philippines were taken into custody in Bangkok yesterday on suspicion of mailing a package containing 10 kilogrammes of dried cannabis to their home country to sell it.

Bangkok’s Immigration Police apprehended the couple at a townhouse on Soi 65 On Nut in the Prawet district. The arrest came after information received from the Philippine authorities. In February, customs officers in the Philippines intercepted a parcel containing 10 kilogrammes of dried cannabis which was sent from Thailand to Manila.

Deputy Chief of the Immigration Bureau, Police Major General Phanthana Nuchanart, shared that dried marijuana could command a price of approximately 975 baht per gramme in the Philippines. Hence, the confiscated cannabis could potentially have a street value of 10 million baht in Manila.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Phanthana revealed that the suspicious package was dispatched through a parcel service in Bangkok. The investigation led authorities to identify the senders as a Philippine couple, 35 year old John Andrew Tiangson and 30 year old Eena Bianca Marie Cruz, who had been residing in Thailand with overstayed visas for nine years.

Upon tracing their location to a townhouse on Soi 65 On Nut, immigration police proceeded to make the arrest. The couple is now in the custody of Prawet police, pending legal proceedings and eventual deportation, reported Bangkok Post.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Phanthana also warned that the couple would be placed on the Immigration blacklist for 10 years.

In related news, in a significant public announcement, Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul voiced his stance on the ongoing cannabis debate in Thailand, declaring he supports regulated use. This followed an interview with Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on France 24, in which the leader suggested the reclassification of marijuana as an illicit substance due to its deemed harmful effects on Thai society.

In other news, a 23 year old man experienced a hallucinatory episode after consuming cannabis, leading to a high-speed chase and subsequent arrest by local police.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

3 minutes ago, thesetat said:

pretty stupid filipinos to use their home mailing address to send drugs haha.. 

But where is the crime?

Cannabis is legal in Thailand, I get it posted to my home address all the time. Post office, Flash, Kerry all handle it.

Overstay is a crime, posting cannabis isn't.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But where is the crime?

Cannabis is legal in Thailand, I get it posted to my home address all the time. Post office, Flash, Kerry all handle it.

They did not post it to another address in Thailand. Weed is illegal in the philippines

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, thesetat said:

They did not post it to another address in Thailand. Weed is illegal in the philippines

Irrelevant!

Each country sets its own laws and policies those laws in its own country.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

But where is the crime?

Cannabis needs an import license and presumably an export license but it sounds like they might just go with fining and deportations for overstaying and let the Filipino justice system deal with them which is by no means certain. A friend who was managing ships with Filipino crews sent home a ship’s cook who had murdered the Filipino first officer with a kitchen knife for complaining his pans were not clean enough. The murder happened in international waters off Curaçao where the Dutch authorities declined to arrest him. So my friend sent him back to the Philippines, giving the Filipino FBI details of the case and the cook’s flight details. The FBI claimed jurisdiction and said they would arrest him at the airport but went to meet the wrong flight Then they lost interest and the cook got a job with another Manila based ship management company.

I'm also confused about what was the crime here (in Thailand), which wasn't stated in the article. I assume cannabis needs an export license, or something like that?

• Like 1