What To Do Please.

Family member arrived in Thailand on 30 day on arrival. 30 days are up on the 16th. Immigration doesn't open until the 17th.

What to do - visit immigration when they open and get 7 day extension or do border hop today the 14th (is the border open?) ? He is travelling with Thai wife & kids.

Many thanks in advance.

He can obtain a 30 day extension to his 30 visa exempt entry or a 60 day extension to visit wife.

How long would he like to stay in Thailand. 

If another 90 days he should obtain the 30 day extension first. 

• Agree 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

He can obtain a 30 day extension to his 30 visa exempt entry or a 60 day extension to visit wife

Yes thanks, aware of that. He is just nervous about the 1 day overstay. Should he wait for imm to open or do the border bounce?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hughrection said:

Yes thanks, aware of that. He is just nervous about the 1 day overstay. Should he wait for imm to open or do the border bounce?

A few day overstay is dealt with and then application for extension.  

Personally I would not do a border run.

Which immigration office 

He needs a TM30 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A few day overstay is dealt with and then application for extension.  

Personally I would not do a border run.

Which immigration office 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Chachoengsao - wife is from there.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Why not? They will just tell him he should've done the extension prior to Songkran, just like millions of other people who had their stamp expiring over the Songkran holidays.

They will tell him? That's just your opinion. Which you're entitles to have, of course, although you stated it as fact saying 'they will' instead of saying 'they might'. You also say that millions - MILLIONS - have their stamp expiring during Songkran. Again, you state it as a fact, based on nothing at all.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Agree 2

The absolute worst case is that immigration rejects the application.

When this happens, the passport will be stamped with 7 days to leave Thailand.

In other words, you get a guaranteed 7 day extension, if not the full 30.

• Like 1

ive asked about this at CNX immig...as i would always go early for my ext if it landed on a weekend-holiday etc....

the IO said if they are closed they will accept me coming back the next day-when they open

as i kicked myself for giving up about a weeks worth of days always going in early thinking id get fined for OS

and even if some jerk tried to make me pay a day late the 500 fine would seem less than doing a border run

On 4/14/2024 at 10:19 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

If they are not open for business they can't really blame him, can they. Which is why they would ignore the overstay.

Actually they don't "ignore" it, chances are they will get an "overstay fine waived" stamp