Songkran Splashing Sparks Fight Between Pattaya Win Driver and Indian Tourist

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A motorbike taxi driver, better known in Thailand as a “Win,” fought with an Indian tourist in Pattaya on Thursday of last week after the 7-year-old son of the driver splashed water at the tourist and angered him.

The tense encounter took place on Pattaya Second Road leading to Khao Phra Tamnak around 7 PM on April 18th, 2024. The incident, captured on video, showed the Thai driver chasing and confronting the tourist of Indian descent during Songkran celebrations.

The video also depicted the driver attempting to strike the tourist. Fortunately, the incident ended as bystanders intervened and separated the two parties. The disagreement then went viral on social media, with most netizens criticizing the motorbike taxi driver for damaging Pattaya’s reputation by hurting the visitor.

By Aim Tanakorn

PHOTO: Siamrath

Source: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-04-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

back the cut off time (18:00hrs) for water throwing to allow people to change and enjoy the evening, in addition remember that while people are throwing water they are not spending money ......LOL

Another of those genies that will be hard to get back into the bottle........ I suspect it will all be more raucous next year.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The assaulting of anyone by soaking them whether they invite it or not is nothing other than mass hooliganism and shows total disregard for others.

The water thrower was a 7 year old boy. I doubt whether it was a 'soaking'. The tourist must have been aware of the time of year and what happens just an ignorant pig. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RobU said:

The water thrower was a 7 year old boy. I doubt whether it was a 'soaking'. The tourist must have been aware of the time of year and what happens just an ignorant pig. 

I believe that anyone throwing or firing water over anyone who doesn't want it is ill-mannered and selfish. You clearly disagree and are entitled to your opinion. As for those who say 'if you don't like it then stay home' are supporting no-go areas, which is unacceptable in any civilised society.

• Thumbs Up 1

Motorbike taxi driver splash spat with tourist sparks row
by Bob Scott 

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Pattaya News

A splash spat between a Thai Win motorbike taxi driver and an Indian tourist during Pattaya’s Songkran festivity ignited when the foreigner got drenched. The kerfuffle arose when the Win driver’s playful seven year old son soaked the tourist, triggering a heated altercation.

The entire event took place on Pattaya Second Road towards Khao Phra Tamnak around 7pm on April 18. The escalating tension was caught on camera, showing the Thai driver pursuing and confronting the Indian tourist amidst the Songkran festivities. The video further illustrated the driver attempting to hit the tourist. However, the situation was defused as onlookers stepped in and separated the two parties.

This incident quickly gained traction on social media, drawing mainly criticism towards the motorbike taxi driver. The majority of the netizens expressed their disappointment over the driver’s conduct, which they believed tarnished the reputation of Pattaya by intimidating the visitor.

The Win driver, identified only as Boom, later spoke with local media to explain his side of the story. The 34 year old claimed that his actions were not an attack on the tourist but rather a defensive move to safeguard his son.

Boom clarified that his son was innocently playing with water nearby when he accidentally splashed water on the passerby tourist. This unintentional act infuriated the tourist, who allegedly tried to grab his son’s arm. This behaviour provoked Boom, leading to the chase and confrontation captured in the one-minute video clip.

While Boom expressed remorse over the incident, he stood firm on his stance of not apologising for protecting his child. He also mentioned that the tourist seemingly failed to comprehend that water splashing is a significant part of the Songkran tradition.

As of now, the Indian tourist has not filed an official complaint regarding the incident. However, the Pattaya police have acknowledged the matter and are presently conducting further investigations, reported Pattaya News.

“It was not an attack, I was just protecting my son.”

The incident has stirred a social media storm, with most users condemning the driver’s actions.

“This is not the way to treat visitors. It’s a shame for Pattaya.”

Though the incident has cast a shadow over the Songkran festivities, it serves as a poignant reminder of the significance of embracing and honouring local customs when journeying abroad.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

As has been said previously there should be a cut-off time (previously 18:00hrs) so tourists & locals alike can change into dry clothes & visit restaurants or nightclubs without getting soaked.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that anyone throwing or firing water over anyone who doesn't want it is ill-mannered and selfish. You clearly disagree and are entitled to your opinion. As for those who say 'if you don't like it then stay home' are supporting no-go areas, which is unacceptable in any civilised society.

Still no excuse to try and grab a 7 year old child. It's a tradition of many years and is promoted worldwide. I spent 2 very happy days with my nieces and nephews throwing water and having water thrown back from complete strangers. He knew what he was letting himself in for when he decided to come to Thailand in the hottest months of the year during Songkran in my province it is very much for children. 

• Agree 1