Registering a .th domain without a company (or trademark)

LivinLOS

I have a need for a Thai domain name, the in.th would be acceptable and is for individuals. 

Various info pages say you must provide an ID to prove address, I have yellow book, Pink ID and of course a driving license, held for decades. 

Can a non Thai citizen register a domain as a person this way ?? I appreciate the co.th domains need either a domestic company or a regsitered trademark here or overseas, I actually prefer not to use a co.th anyway. 

Anyone done this ? any feedback ? 

Posted (edited)

Thanks, will try to grab an in.th later today. 

I actually want an or.th as am considering a non profit but I need to research that whole topic deeper as to how heavy the costs of such a venture may be. 

Edited by LivinLOS

First 2 registrars I have attempted both claim I need a work permit. I have found ones which dont seem to require this but want 80 usd instead of 360 baht !! 

Can anyone confirm if a work permit is a genuine requirement, when a yellow house book can be presented ?? 

Or can provide a registrar for reasonable money (1000b ??) that will offer an in.th domain to a non Thai with Pink ID, Yellow Book, etc.

11 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

First 2 registrars I have attempted both claim I need a work permit. I have found ones which dont seem to require this but want 80 usd instead of 360 baht !! 

Can anyone confirm if a work permit is a genuine requirement, when a yellow house book can be presented ?? 

Or can provide a registrar for reasonable money (1000b ??) that will offer an in.th domain to a non Thai with Pink ID, Yellow Book, etc.

Better check the actual legal situation.

Because if you are able to get what you want but later i.e. maybe your competition finds out you don't have a required work-permit, then maybe they take away your domain from you. I guess that is not what you want.

IMHO only because something is possible in Thailand doesn't mean that is a long-term solution. 

'Check the actual legal situation' 

The issue I am finding is, there doesnt appear to be actual clarity!!  in.th is for individuals, there is no apparent restriction on the nationality of individuals.. Even the registrar who denied me is now humming and haa'ing on if a Pink ID / Yellow book suffices.. And they are incharge of the process !! 

Once again the rules seem to be yes / no / maybe.. 

I already grabbed a .asia which can do.. But would prefer an in.th and and long term may even warrant an or.th but not there yet. 

Can I ask a question?  Why don't you use what most non-profit organizations use, .org  ?

I looked it up and here is what I found:  

.org extension

The . org extension is the bread and butter for nonprofit organizations. It is usually used for non-commercial organizations, so even people who do not know about your organization will understand it is not a for-profit organization.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:55 AM, LivinLOS said:

'Check the actual legal situation' 

The issue I am finding is, there doesnt appear to be actual clarity!!  in.th is for individuals, there is no apparent restriction on the nationality of individuals.. Even the registrar who denied me is now humming and haa'ing on if a Pink ID / Yellow book suffices.. And they are incharge of the process !! 

Once again the rules seem to be yes / no / maybe.. 

I already grabbed a .asia which can do.. But would prefer an in.th and and long term may even warrant an or.th but not there yet.

It's a simple and cheap process to get a .org-domain instead of .or.th.

1 hour ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Can I ask a question?  Why don't you use what most non-profit organizations use, .org  ?

I looked it up and here is what I found:  

.org extension

The . org extension is the bread and butter for nonprofit organizations. It is usually used for non-commercial organizations, so even people who do not know about your organization will understand it is not a for-profit organization.

Already hold orgs but the good ones are gone.. 

After telling me I couldnt.. Ended up getting it registered with the same company that initially said the rules incorrectly. Took a few days but done. 

Just yet more.. no / maybe / yes lack of clarity.. But anyway, pushing back on the no turned it into a yes.