Getting divorce, on extension of stay to Non Imm O based on marriage. What to do?

Hi all,

I've been searching all day and can't seem to find a definitive answer so I'm hoping someone will know.

My situation:

• On my 10th extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai on a Non Imm O visa. I also have a multiple reentry permit. Current extension expires end of October.
  • Separated with my wife, on good terms but for personal reasons need to get divorced asap.
  • Have a Thai business with all requirements in place for either/or a Non Imm B visa or extension of stay based on business.
  • Have a work permit from my company.

The divorce will be uncontested so I know I need to go to the Amphur with my ex-wife and get the divorce paperwork.

I realise that technically this will immediately invalidate my current extension of stay however Immigration won't be informed (neither myself or ex-wife will tell them unless required).

If I just leave the country and get a Non-Imm B I will get stamped in on my current extension of stay because of the reentry permit (similar thing happened to me before) which won't help.

I'd rather not have to leave the country the same day as the divorce if possible.

I'd really rather get it all handled in Bangkok without having to go anywhere, but I realise I will have to do whatever I have to do to get the outcome I need.

So my question is:

In this situation, which steps should I follow to get divorced, not have an overstay, and end up one way or another on a 1 year extension of stay based on business?

Thanks for your advice 🙂

Edited by Letmebefree

I'd speak to your IO fist and explain the situation and your options.

Correct, your current extension of stay expires on the date of divorce.
The re-entry permit also becomes invalid as that relates to the extension.

Worst case scenario, you could apply for a 30-day extension, which will be refused, but you'll be granted 7 days to leave the Country.

Apply for the Non B visa out of Country.

• Love It 1