The drug Lyrica

The question I have is what exactly does the drug LYRICA do?

I have googled it ,it's a anti depressant,

but I have no personal use of it or experience in it nor any anti depression drugs , the reason I'm asking is 

I have been watching a new YouTuber recently in Pattaya and Bangkok, a young guy who backpacker type who is constantly taking it and says he can't go without it as he walks around talking to people etc.

does it give people 'confidence" ,is this why it seems to be popular among the young backpacker type?

DOes anyone have personal experience with Lyrica , how does it make you feel?

the YouTuber I'm talking about seems to look or not there if that's a description 

I'm not sure why the younger generation is taking that and combining it with alcohol as these guys are doing 

I realise some people generally need anti depressant medicine but I'm wondering what the effects are 

Does it make them "happy "?

• Agree 1

Painkiller. Tolerance develops quickly. I remember reading it could damage eyesight. Little value as a drug to get high but some people will abuse everything (for want of alternatives).

It seems that the type of pain it targets (neurological, chronic, cause hard to pinpoint) could be amenable to cannabis. Only governments prefer their elderly population to be hooked on Lyrica, in typical war-on-drugs fashion.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

I was prescribed the drug for lower back pain caused by spinal stenosis. Stopped taking the drug due to concerns of dependence and mental health harm. Now take 10mg a day of Amitriptyline which is reasonably effective.

Edited by simple1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dancer57 said:

I was prescribed Lyrica for lumbar disc nerve pain, the person you are quoting in your OP is misusing it and is an idiot.

Interesting, not sure why 

Maybe I have it incorrectly,could be lyrical perhaps ,anyway thanks guys 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

does it give people 'confidence" ,is this why it seems to be popular among the young backpacker type?

This probably fits into the GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) category, where in some locales (not the U.S.) Pregabalin (Lyrica) is indicated for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) in adults. 

Generalised anxiety disorder The dose range is 150 to 600 mg per day given as two or three divided doses. The need for treatment should be reassessed regularly. 

People can get addicted to Lyrica, especially people with a history of addiction to any other substance. 

Addicts often use doses higher than therapeutic doses.

As a painkiller,  in theory it is good only for neuropathic pain.

In practice,  it is often given additionally to other painkillers to save on painkillers, for any kind of pain.

My personal experience is that it has no effect whatever on me. It doesn't make me tired,  it doesn't help against pain, I didn't get addicted, just nothing. 

I took it for a long time, but relatively low doses.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The question I have is what exactly does the drug LYRICA do?

I have googled it ,it's a anti depressant,

but I have no personal use of it or experience in it nor any anti depression drugs , the reason I'm asking is 

I have been watching a new YouTuber recently in Pattaya and Bangkok, a young guy who backpacker type who is constantly taking it and says he can't go without it as he walks around talking to people etc.

DOes anyone have personal experience with Lyrica , how does it make you feel?

the YouTuber I'm talking about seems to look or not there if that's a description 

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-93965/lyrica-oral/details

Here you find the whole description.

But I'm sure, Sheryl will have the last say.

I was prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain due to Neuropathy.  I took it for a few days but I didn't like the side effects.

Made me dizzy and disoriented.  Started taking Tramadol instead.  No side effects.

13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm not sure why the younger generation is taking that and combining it with alcohol as these guys are doing 

I realise some people generally need anti depressant medicine but I'm wondering what the effects are 

Does it make them "happy "?

Hey, don´t dwell over it. Once I meet a guy in a 24/7 café cooling down after a wild night. He mumbled something hard to understand in a state of far gone. The sum of it was that I found out he had been popping valium and smoking marijuana as well as drinking all night until the morning. I didn´t ask him why, as he seemed to be in exactly the expected state and actually quite comfortable at the same time. 

20 minutes ago, n00dle said:

That doesn't even scratch the surface or go into its off-label use as an anti-depressant, let alone its popularity as a recreational high in the UK and especially Ireland

I'm aware of this. I worked in this field for a decade in Limerick. But George, I suppose, is not one of those misusing drugs. At least I hope.

I had painful idiopathic peripheral neuropathy in my feet about 15 yrs ago.   Lyrica was one of the things they tried. Made no difference whatsoever. 

Fortunately the PN eventually went away but it was a miserable couple of years. 

On 4/25/2024 at 9:10 AM, worgeordie said:

I thought it was tight fitting trousers  ,you will look good in them 😵

regards worgeordie

That's lyca, and Leica it's something different again, and that's what i like.

20 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm aware of this. I worked in this field for a decade in Limerick. But George, I suppose, is not one of those misusing drugs.

but the question was in the context of recreational Lyrica use by a youtuber

On 4/25/2024 at 9:28 AM, JackGats said:

Little value as a drug to get high

there are far too many that would beg to differ 

9 minutes ago, n00dle said:

there are far too many that would beg to differ 

Many go for crappy highs. I tried "recreational" Lyrica out once. Felt like "recreational" Tramadol, ie poor, not worth the health risk at all.

It is a drug which the manufacturer, Pfizer, had different options to target. It came out of a drug discovery program into epilepsy, but had utility for neuropathic pain. Other painkilling agents do little for neuropathic pain, and many people have neuropathic pain as a sequela to diabetes, so Pfizer studies it in neuropathic pain. It was the first agent ever to be approved for this indiction. Combined with other agents like duloxetine (also approved for neuropathic pain) and tramadol (an older atypical opioid, not approved for NP) it is very effective. By itself it has activity but not outstanding clinical efficacy. Pregabalin beat the FDA standard of having greater efficacy than placebo by 15%, which is not exactly life changing.

20 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Many go for crappy highs. I tried "recreational" Lyrica out once. Felt like "recreational" Tramadol, ie poor, not worth the health risk at all.

I believe it, I have always been particular in my recreational choices.

When I was in the Philippines I encountered enough tramadol "enamored" brits and people snorting diet pills to know firsthand why to stay away from <deleted>ty highs 

On 4/25/2024 at 9:49 AM, simple1 said:

I was prescribed the drug for lower back pain caused by spinal stenosis. Stopped taking the drug due to concerns of dependence and mental health harm. Now take 10mg a day of Amitriptyline which is reasonably effective.

Don't know much about drugs (don't want to) but the Amitriptyline you mention must be the cheapest drug on sale here in Thailand.

I pay 35 baht from 10×25mg and a quarter of a pill gives me a good nights sleep.

19 hours ago, Lorry said:

People can get addicted to Lyrica, especially people with a history of addiction to any other substance. 

Addicts often use doses higher than therapeutic doses.

In fact not really addicts. Rather 70% of  elderly patients in Europe right now. They start with 50mg, 2 years later already 250 or 300mg.

17 hours ago, n00dle said:

I believe it, I have always been particular in my recreational choices.

When I was in the Philippines I encountered enough tramadol "enamored" brits and people snorting diet pills to know firsthand why to stay away from <deleted>ty highs 

What does "highs' mean?

Do they became happy sort of like drunk ?

• Sad 1

I was prescribed Lyrica among other meds for nerve pain in my leg similar to sciatica.  The condition went away after a week or two, I have no idea if from the meds or just ran it's course.  I didn't experience any side effects I'm aware of