The Tragic Tale of Scott Rider and Britain’s Indefinite Prison Sentence

Social Media

image.png

In the realm of justice, there are sentences that serve as punishments, and then there are sentences that seem to defy all sense of fairness and humanity. Such was the case for Scott Rider, a man who found himself trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare of indefinite imprisonment—a sentence that ultimately cost him his life.

Seventeen years into his incarceration at HMP Woodhill, Rider took his own life, succumbing to the despair of a sentence without end. His story, revealed by senior coroner Tom Osborne, paints a harrowing picture of a man who had lost all hope of ever being free.

Rider's ordeal began in 2005 when he was convicted of grievous bodily harm and handed an imprisonment for public protection (IPP) sentence—a sentence with a minimum term but no end date. For Rider, this meant years of uncertainty, anxiety, and despair, as he languished behind bars with no clear path to redemption.

As his sister Michelle Mahon recounts, Rider's sentence robbed him of more than just his freedom; it robbed him of the chance to rebuild his life, to seek redemption, and to find solace. Trapped in a cycle of despair, Rider struggled to find meaning in his existence, his mental health deteriorating as the years wore on.

But Rider's story is not unique. Across Britain, thousands of individuals are still serving IPP sentences, their lives suspended in a state of perpetual limbo. Many, like Rider, were convicted of low-level crimes and yet find themselves condemned to a lifetime of incarceration.

The injustice of IPP sentences lies not only in their indefinite nature but also in their disproportionate impact on prisoners' mental health. As Osborne's report highlights, IPP prisoners are more likely to engage in self-harm, more likely to suffer from depression, and more likely to succumb to despair.

Campaigners have long called for the abolition of IPP sentences, arguing that they amount to a form of "death sentence by the back door." Indeed, the toll of these sentences on individuals and families is immeasurable, leaving a trail of devastation in their wake.

Yet, despite mounting calls for reform, the Ministry of Justice has been slow to act. While some IPP prisoners have been released in recent years, many remain trapped in a cycle of despair, their hopes for redemption dashed by a system that seems indifferent to their plight.

As Lord Blunkett, the architect of IPP sentences, has acknowledged, the time for reform is long overdue. It is time for Britain to confront the injustice of indefinite imprisonment, to recognize the humanity of those trapped within its grasp, and to offer hope where there is currently only despair. For Scott Rider and countless others like him, the stakes could not be higher.

2024-04-30

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Since when was causing grievous bodily harm a low-level crime ? 

It depends exactly what kind of GBH was involved. It covers a wide range of things, and can for instance include passing on a disease to  someone or causing psychiatric harm (as well as more serious offences).

Assault - UK Sentencing Council

• Confused 1

"Many, like Rider, were convicted of low-level crimes and yet find themselves condemned to a lifetime of incarceration.'

What utter bull****. Grievous Bodily Harm is not a low level crime. Ask the victims with life changing injuries,  or resulting mental health issues. Of course we can't ask the victims who are in a coma. 

Edited by RobU
Emphasis

28 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It depends exactly what kind of GBH was involved. It covers a wide range of things, and can for instance include passing on a disease to  someone or causing psychiatric harm (as well as more serious offences).

Grievous means very harmful.  Passing on a disease such as AIDS, non treatable STD or antibiotic resistant Tuberculosis can eventually cause the death of the victim.

If psychiatric/psychological harm is classed as Grievous then it is extremely serious possibly resulting in suicide of the victim or incarceration of the victim for their own protection 

Edited by RobU

On 4/30/2024 at 3:40 AM, KhunLA said:

... "he was convicted of grievous bodily harm and handed an imprisonment for public protection (IPP) sentence—a sentence with a minimum term but no end date"

That not self explanatory enough ? :coffee1:

Along with more than a few details left out...

"In 2003, Rider was jailed for assaulting their father. He was later released and, Mahon says, went on to clean his life up and find a girlfriend. But in 2005, while still on licence for the earlier offence, he was arrested again after assaulting a colleague and given an IPP sentence with a minimum tariff of 23 months.

Mahon, a nurse from Durham from whom he was estranged, only found out he was serving an IPP sentence after he died. She said she had never heard of them before and was stunned that it meant the length of his punishment lay in the hands of a parole board rather than a judge.

She is now campaigning for the cases of all IPP prisoners to be reviewed. “I do not condone what Scott has done. In 17 years, he committed 47 offences and was convicted of 22. But I think these sentences are inhumane and they need to be abolished. To get a 23-month sentence and serve 17 years… how can they justify it?” Mahon said."   (source)

Not exactly someone I want walking around in society.  Convicted of 22 crimes, in 17 years, more than one a year.   Career criminal comes to mind,  with 2 violent assaults, last one while on 'license' for assault, and then commits another.  I guess the first 21 conviction didn't teach him anything.

And sis now a crusader, though I'm getting the impression, she distanced herself from him (estranged) , as didn't even know he was sentenced 'IPP'.   Guess she didn't visit much.   Not much hope when your family abandons you.   Big surprised he off'd himself :coffee1:

I love this part .... "Rider’s sister said that the sentence robbed her brother “of the chance to have a family and the chance to turn his life around”.

Actually, he got 21 chance, but simply chose to ignore them :cheesy:

How about a story about the guy in jail, apparently forever, for stealing a phone.   What's up with that ?.  That might actually be a story.

He's got no one to blame, but himself! 

Sorry, but zero sympathy from me whatsoever for this guy. He committed 47 offenses in 17 years, he was convicted of 22 of them, and he committed 17 of them in just one year. Some people just never learn their lesson, him having been one of them, and then they cry when they won't let them out again. Should've thought about his actions and their potential consequences beforehand! 

There is an argument to be had about whether he should have been in prison or a secure psyche unit, but away from the public is a must with that record.

On 4/30/2024 at 1:40 PM, KhunLA said:

... "he was convicted of grievous bodily harm and handed an imprisonment for public protection (IPP) sentence—a sentence with a minimum term but no end date"

That not self explanatory enough ? :coffee1:

Along with more than a few details left out...

"In 2003, Rider was jailed for assaulting their father. He was later released and, Mahon says, went on to clean his life up and find a girlfriend. But in 2005, while still on licence for the earlier offence, he was arrested again after assaulting a colleague and given an IPP sentence with a minimum tariff of 23 months.

Mahon, a nurse from Durham from whom he was estranged, only found out he was serving an IPP sentence after he died. She said she had never heard of them before and was stunned that it meant the length of his punishment lay in the hands of a parole board rather than a judge.

She is now campaigning for the cases of all IPP prisoners to be reviewed. “I do not condone what Scott has done. In 17 years, he committed 47 offences and was convicted of 22. But I think these sentences are inhumane and they need to be abolished. To get a 23-month sentence and serve 17 years… how can they justify it?” Mahon said."   (source)

Not exactly someone I want walking around in society.  Convicted of 22 crimes, in 17 years, more than one a year.   Career criminal comes to mind,  with 2 violent assaults, last one while on 'license' for assault, and then commits another.  I guess the first 21 conviction didn't teach him anything.

And sis now a crusader, though I'm getting the impression, she distanced herself from him (estranged) , as didn't even know he was sentenced 'IPP'.   Guess she didn't visit much.   Not much hope when your family abandons you.   Big surprised he off'd himself :coffee1:

I love this part .... "Rider’s sister said that the sentence robbed her brother “of the chance to have a family and the chance to turn his life around”.

Actually, he got 21 chance, but simply chose to ignore them :cheesy:

How about a story about the guy in jail, apparently forever, for stealing a phone.   What's up with that ?.  That might actually be a story.

Agree with you. My only complaint is that anyone that commits a violent crime, or even dealing drugs etc has any chance of release. Society is better off without them in it. Its a nonsense to give someone a life sentence and then let them out because they manage to fool a parole board. Life should mean life for murder etc and 3 strikes and out for life for the rest.

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2024 at 11:44 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Those crimes you mention should be treated as if they were a GHB, IMO.