Android phones recommendations

Any recommendations for an Android smart phone 5G VoLTE compatible, a good camera is important. Need dual sim, E-sim compatible, in mid price range. Need at least 6GB/128. Higher is better.

I have had all manner of phones, ranging from 5000 to 40,000 baht.

My personal favourite, is the Techno Pova 5G, which I bought a few months ago, for around 6000 baht.

A huge battery, which lasts 2 days.  A huge screen which an old man like me can see clearly.  A huge memory 128 GB which can easily hold all my movies, pictures, music.

Amazing phone, for the price, but difficult to purchase, as it is always sold out.

• Thanks 1

Samsung A54 (or the new A55) is really good phone a these specs. Both are 5G and not too expensive like their flagship S24. All good phones in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Xiaomi Redmi 13 5G, get the Pro if you want to spend more

In the last decade or so I bought Xiaomi phones for mf gf and me.

They do they job and the prices are reasonable.

When I need a new phone I watch YouTube videos where they explain the differences between models.

Watching those videos we can all think about our priorities like i.e. camera or other features.

An easier way is: Look i.e. in Lazada for phones between 5000 to 6000B. Pick anything. It will do the job.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks everyone for your recommendations so far. We currently use Xiaomi Redmi Notes (mine is a 10, tirak's is a 7) and very happy with them, but we're currently in Australia on holidays and had trouble finding sims that work. Currently we can use Optus only, and only until September this year. So next trip we make in December we'll need new devices. Someone suggested watching YT reviews. Yes I agree entirely but there are so many, this is why I'm asking here for suggestions, when I've whittled the choices down to about a dozen I can watch the reviews and compare specs and prices. Anyway, thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oliverphoenix2 said:

I believe Samsung A55 (14000 BHT) is the only A series model that has Esim, and one of the cheapest makes overall with Esim . It has dual sim and one of the slots can double as an SD card slot, gorilla glass front and back, metal frame (all other A series are plastic), 8GB/128 or 12GB/256 (16000BHT), 120hz refresh rate, NFC for contactless payments, 5000mah battery, 4 years android updates and 5 years security patches. Camera seems perfectly reasonable for mid range phone. Not comfortable to hold in my hand but with a case it's fine. THB 14K in Thailand is good value when in UK/Europe 18K after rebate! This should make the shortlist for mid price esim phones.

I've looked it up and it ticks lots of boxes, it's on my short list now. I can order it online in Australia and it works out about 13,000 THB.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I just am going through the same decision process you are and made quite a bit of research in the last month. So I thought I share it with you. :smile:

My criterias partially match with yours: esim (a must), good cams, bright screen for sunny SEA, smooth operation, 5G VoLTE and VoWiFi, NFC, long ownership.

From my research I made a comparison for you on kimovil:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/samsung-galaxy-a55-5g-8gb-256gb,xiaomi-13t,xiaomi-redmi-note-13-pro,xiaomi-redmi-note-13-pro-plus

Kimovil gives you a good idea, but is not always correct in the details: f.e. both Redmis have esim, not just one as indicated by Kimovil So if you need a k.o. feature, make sure you read another review maybe on gsmarena to double check.

I cannot speak for the Samsung A55, I only included it because it was mentioned here and it seems to have esim, though many phones in the lower midrange have not.

My recommendations are ranked by my favors with some remarks, actually I just ordered the top model in the list today:

Xiaomi 13T (has full always on display (AOD), 144mhz and super good display, best cameras in cooperation with famous German Leica lens/cam maker, OIS, fastest of the bunch, IP68 and 4 major Android updates and 5 years securities update promise, WiFi 6 or 7? depending on region?)

Redmi Note 13 Pro+ (cam is supposed to be better tuned than the Pro edition below, though same lens hardware, OIS, only 10 sec AOD, great display quality, curved display looks better but more difficult to install tempered glass, no slouch, updates are 2/4 or 3/4 - depending who you talk to, WiFi 6)

Redmi Note 13 Pro (good cam, both redmi have the 200 MP sensor for main cam, but supposedly the plus version is better tuned, advantage of 200 MP is that you can zoom better, great display, but not curved, slowest processor of the 3 but still fast enough if you don't do gaming, slower storage, IP54, more plastic also on the camera module, 3.5mm headphone, updates are 2/4 or 3/4 - depending who you talk to, WiFi5)

I hope this helps you. :)

BTW I am very happy with my Redmi Note 9s, which still is a great phone to this date, but enough new features have come along to go for a change after 4 years of ownership. This was the longest time ever I owned a phone - so thank you my beloved Redmi for your long and happy companionship! I will still keep the trusty 9s as an emergency replacement.

Edited by Barley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Barley said:

BTW I am very happy with my Redmi Note 9s, which still is a great phone to this date, but enough new features have come along to go for a change after 4 years of ownership. This was the longest time ever I owned a phone - so thank you my beloved Redmi for your long and happy companionship! I will still keep the trusty 9s as an emergency replacement.

I now use my Redmi 9 as a tv box and cast to TV, much better than most boxes, so it does have another life

On 4/30/2024 at 6:23 AM, grain said:

Thanks everyone for your recommendations so far. We currently use Xiaomi Redmi Notes (mine is a 10, tirak's is a 7) and very happy with them, but we're currently in Australia on holidays and had trouble finding sims that work. Currently we can use Optus only, and only until September this year. So next trip we make in December we'll need new devices. Someone suggested watching YT reviews. Yes I agree entirely but there are so many, this is why I'm asking here for suggestions, when I've whittled the choices down to about a dozen I can watch the reviews and compare specs and prices. Anyway, thanks again and please keep those suggestions coming.

I was recently in Australia with a Xiaomi Play phone - a cheap, old model, but light and fits nicely in my pocket.

I bought a pre-paid Vodafone sim on arrival.

Last time an operator installed a new sim (in Portugal), they carelessly broke part of the phone cover, so I decided to install the sim in my hotel later.

I put in the new sim and it did not work.

The next day, I returned to Vodafone - they quickly entered a code into the phone to make it work.

All well and good - with a "volte" symbol appearing on the top right corner of my phone screen.

I forget the reasoning but I think my old phone is only an LTE phone (not 4G?), and the adding-in of a software code 'enabled voice' (or Voice Over LTE).

Your phone may or may not, have a similar issue?

Seem to remember that Vodafone told me, only Optus worked at that time, without this code being physically added, but that would change soon.

Not sure what happens later this year i.e. do I need a new phone or not - will VOLTE enabled be enough?

1 hour ago, Barley said:

Hi,

I just am going through the same decision process you are and made quite a bit of research in the last month. So I thought I share it with you. :smile:

My criterias partially match with yours: esim (a must), good cams, bright screen for sunny SEA, smooth operation, 5G VoLTE and VoWiFi, NFC, long ownership.

From my research I made a comparison for you on kimovil:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/samsung-galaxy-a55-5g-8gb-256gb,xiaomi-13t,xiaomi-redmi-note-13-pro,xiaomi-redmi-note-13-pro-plus

Kimovil gives you a good idea, but is not always correct in the details: f.e. both Redmis have esim, not just one as indicated by Kimovil So if you need a k.o. feature, make sure you read another review maybe on gsmarena to double check.

I cannot speak for the Samsung A55, I only included it because it was mentioned here and it seems to have esim, though many phones in the lower midrange have not.

My recommendations are ranked by my favors with some remarks, actually I just ordered the top model in the list today:

Xiaomi 13T (has full always on display (AOD), 144mhz and super good display, best cameras in cooperation with famous German Leica lens/cam maker, OIS, fastest of the bunch, IP68 and 4 major Android updates and 5 years securities update promise, WiFi 6 or 7? depending on region?)

Redmi Note 13 Pro+ (cam is supposed to be better tuned than the Pro edition below, though same lens hardware, OIS, only 10 sec AOD, great display quality, curved display looks better but more difficult to install tempered glass, no slouch, updates are 2/4 or 3/4 - depending who you talk to, WiFi 6)

Redmi Note 13 Pro (good cam, both redmi have the 200 MP sensor for main cam, but supposedly the plus version is better tuned, advantage of 200 MP is that you can zoom better, great display, but not curved, slowest processor of the 3 but still fast enough if you don't do gaming, slower storage, IP54, more plastic also on the camera module, 3.5mm headphone, updates are 2/4 or 3/4 - depending who you talk to, WiFi5)

I hope this helps you. 🙂

Thanks mate, nice info here, another Xiaomi is def on my short list. Also Google Pixel 8 Pro seems very good, and some reviews say the cameras are best. I've also read the Google Pixels overheat. So far my short list is Samsung A55, Google Pixel 8 Pro, one of the Xaiomi 13s.

34 minutes ago, John49 said:

I was recently in Australia with a Xiaomi Play phone - a cheap, old model, but light and fits nicely in my pocket.

I bought a pre-paid Vodafone sim on arrival.

Last time an operator installed a new sim (in Portugal), they carelessly broke part of the phone cover, so I decided to install the sim in my hotel later.

I put in the new sim and it did not work.

The next day, I returned to Vodafone - they quickly entered a code into the phone to make it work.

All well and good - with a "volte" symbol appearing on the top right corner of my phone screen.

I forget the reasoning but I think my old phone is only an LTE phone (not 4G?), and the adding-in of a software code 'enabled voice' (or Voice Over LTE).

Your phone may or may not, have a similar issue?

Seem to remember that Vodafone told me, only Optus worked at that time, without this code being physically added, but that would change soon.

Not sure what happens later this year i.e. do I need a new phone or not - will VOLTE enabled be enough?

With our phones the guy in the Vodafone store tried to enter the code and it didn't work. I've tried myself as well, no luck. I've read if Volte is not capable on a phone it cannot be added, it's to do with the rom. So while we're still on this trip in Oz it's OPTUS only, we return to Thailand early June, where our old Redmi phones will still work, but next trip to Oz in Dec it means new devices for us. But that's OK, I'm happy to get a new phone.

As for you, if you have Vodafone working well now then you're ok, it's only folk like us still using old phones on OPTUS who will need to upgrade after Sept.

49 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Quite a weighty recommendation!

They haven't failed me yet, and usually the best value.   Others (Samsung Nokia) have failed miserably.  Don't need top end, give me good contestability, decent battery, GPS, and a good camera sensor (64-megapixels Sony Exmor IMX682) and I'm happy.  

POCO X3 NFC ... 3+ yrs old and going strong

image.png.99fb088138458d3192ae477d00d981a7.png

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

(64-megapixels Sony Exmor IMX682) and I'm happy.  

POCO X3 NFC ... 3+ yrs old and going strong

Not too shabby for a phone camera, original size, then cropped in ...

125986819_1241653906211825_7418997696093624911_n.jpg

See honey, I told you I saw birds out there ... 

126299842_1241653882878494_4069659865983803866_n.jpg

Did have to break out the big boy though ...  Sony of course

125883412_1241654162878466_3388232150912497167_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not too shabby for a phone camera, original size, then cropped in ...

125986819_1241653906211825_7418997696093624911_n.jpg

See honey, I told you I saw birds out there ... 

126299842_1241653882878494_4069659865983803866_n.jpg

Did have to break out the big boy though ...  Sony of course

125883412_1241654162878466_3388232150912497167_n.jpg

Great pics!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If camera is a priority, good to research what is being used.  Google Pixel stopped a couple version back, from using Sony sensors.  6, 7 & 8 use Samsung, I think.

Not sure if they still do, but Apple iPhones also use/used Sony camera sensors.  My mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are also Sony.   So I tend to stick with what I know & trust.

image.png.a83e526a38b97f9b0d50c9cb78ea0eea.png

Even one of my drones has a Sony sensor, and noticeably superior to the other photo / vid drone used for photography.

Edited by KhunLA

I had a sony/android...Xperia loved it

moto---no bloated apps!   and unlocked

have a Vivo now....paid less than $100 usd for each

doing a little chromecasting of my spotify as im typing 🙂

• Like 1