Expiration Date Question on O/A E-Visa

My wife and I have been here on Retirement Visas for around ten years. We learned early (via UbonJoe and also an I/O) that if we did a border run on the last day our visa was valid we would get stamped in for another year, then buying a one year re-entry permit gave us the abilities to travel also.

But then along comes the E-visa...we are on our first ever E-visa now and the last day the visa is valid is not clear to us. The old paper sticker visas had a definite expiration date on them, then there was an entry stamp with a date we must exit stamped in our passport when arriving by any border or airport. My passport has no visa now, just an entry stamp with the arrival date and an "until" date and "E-Visa" hand written under it. The E-visa approval document the Thai Consulate in the U.S. provided does not have an expiration date on it either. Before heading to the local Immigration Office I figured I would ask if anyone else has any experience in this matter? 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Does your e-Visa not have a "Visa must be used by" date?  Non-O example below;

image.png.97762a414a738344e42f34af63f2f5bc.png

Yes sir, it does. The format is very similar to your example, only the "Visa conditions" states in Thai that I must have health insurance valid for one year from my entry date. Is that actually the expiration date? I would expect that "Visa must be used by" would mean that you must enter the Kingdom using the visa by that date. Maybe just terminology differences?

Edited by Lee4Life

8 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

Yes sir, it does. The format is very similar to your example, only the "Visa conditions" states in Thai that I must have health insurance valid for one year from my entry date.

So that's the "expiry" date, would have been "enter before" on your printed stickers. 

• Like 1

On a related “expiration date” question:

I have a Non O retirement VISA which the extension expires yearly on May 15 each year.

As I prefer an earlier expiration date say in April for travels back home, is there a way to have immigration CHANGE a valid Non O expiration date?

I tried a “ticket out”  method asking to immigration (Samui) to renew my extension earlier than 30 days prior without success.

Then as I just recently renewed my normal extension, I asked if they could change my expiration date to April 15th instead, but got a “cannot” from them.

Short of letting my Non O expire and starting over which is a real pain in the drain…my question is has anyone successfully changed the expiration date?

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

my question is has anyone successfully changed the expiration date?

What health insurance do you use for your extensions.

Perhaps possible to obtain policy less than 12 months.

They will only grant extension up till expiry of insurance.

Also discussed in this thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1249527-change-annual-visa-extension-date/

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What health insurance do you use for your extensions.

Perhaps possible to obtain policy less than 12 months.

They will only grant extension up till expiry of insurance.

Also discussed in this thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1249527-change-annual-visa-extension-date/

My Non O does not require the insurance like a Non OA.

The insurance that I have is not linked to the VISA…

8 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

On a related “expiration date” question:

I have a Non O retirement VISA which the extension expires yearly on May 15 each year.

As I prefer an earlier expiration date say in April for travels back home, is there a way to have immigration CHANGE a valid Non O expiration date?

I tried a “ticket out”  method asking to immigration (Samui) to renew my extension earlier than 30 days prior without success.

Then as I just recently renewed my normal extension, I asked if they could change my expiration date to April 15th instead, but got a “cannot” from them.

Short of letting my Non O expire and starting over which is a real pain in the drain…my question is has anyone successfully changed the expiration date?

Cheers!

Firstly, please understand your Non Imm O expired a long time ago, but your Immigration status is Non Immigrant.

Visas cannot be extended, each year you are extending your permit of stay by 365 days from the original 90 days granted from the Non Imm O visa.

Based on retirement, your extension renewal date can only be changed by leaving the Country without a re-entry permit, which cancels any permission of stay already granted.
Then start from scratch again.

IMO the easiest option is to renew your extension in early May, then leave without a re-entry permit when you later travel back to your home Country.
Apply for the Non Imm O from your local Thai Embassy to re-enter Thailand, then continue with the 1-year extensions of stay.

Example, you leave Thailand for a visit home July time for 3 weeks, re-entering with a new Non Imm O in August, on entry you'll be granted permission of stay until November.

November will now be the month you annually apply for the 1-year extensions of stay.

26 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Firstly, please understand your Non Imm O expired a long time ago, but your Immigration status is Non Immigrant.

Visas cannot be extended, each year you are extending your permit of stay by 365 days from the original 90 days granted from the Non Imm O visa.

Based on retirement, your extension renewal date can only be changed by leaving the Country without a re-entry permit, which cancels any permission of stay already granted.
Then start from scratch again.

IMO the easiest option is to renew your extension in early May, then leave without a re-entry permit when you later travel back to your home Country.
Apply for the Non Imm O from your local Thai Embassy to re-enter Thailand, then continue with the 1-year extensions of stay.

Example, you leave Thailand for a visit home July time for 3 weeks, re-entering with a new Non Imm O in August, on entry you'll be granted permission of stay until November.

November will now be the month you annually apply for the 1-year extensions of stay.

Ok thanks for the terminology understanding :).

Just as I thought, let the existing extension void itself or expire, then reapply for the NEW VISA which would be a Non OA (with the insurance requirement?) IF I started in my country…correct?

As I already got the reentry permit at the same time as the extension, it is too late this time round… and my thinking is that I will just have to live with that expiration date of May 15.

Starting over would be a pain, as there are more hoops to jump through (e.g. Police visit, Housebooks, New pictures, etc.) compared to just living with the date.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Just as I thought, let the existing extension void itself or expire, then reapply for the NEW VISA which would be a Non OA (with the insurance requirement?) IF I started in my country…correct?

Why Non Imm O-A and not Non Imm O?
What Country are you from?