Why Do I Have To Pay Over £500 For A Settlement Visa

Hello

I went to the Britishh embassy in Bangkok. I am English, my wife is Thai. I thought we would apply for a settlement visa. The pricefor this was over £500

So, she is now currently with me in London on a six months tourist visa. If I wanted her to live with me permanently in England my question is can this be done without her going back to Thailand?

I though it was a right for a wife and husband to be able to live together.

A visit visa can't be converted into a spouse settlement visa within the UK save in the most compassionate and compelling circumstances. I'm afraid your wife will have to bite the bullet and apply for a settlement visa at the embassy in Bangkok.

Moved to the visas for other countries sub-forum.

Scouse.

In my case my wife has a US greencard and we've lived together since 2004 having been married since 2001.

Are you saying that she would have to endure a wait in Bangkok before she could also settle in the UK?

How long is this wait typically?

A visit visa can't be converted into a spouse settlement visa within the UK save in the most compassionate and compelling circumstances. I'm afraid your wife will have to bite the bullet and apply for a settlement visa at the embassy in Bangkok.

Moved to the visas for other countries sub-forum.

Scouse.

In my case my wife has a US greencard and we've lived together since 2004 having been married since 2001.

Are you saying that she would have to endure a wait in Bangkok before she could also settle in the UK?

How long is this wait typically?

Where is she now? If she wants, and qualifies, to settle in UK she must apply at the British authorities in the country where she is currently resident.

If that is Bangkok and she submits a satisfactory application it could be issued within 4 days.If the application is not so strong and they want to interview her it will take as long as the waiting list for the interview (which I heard is currently about 6-8 weeks)

£500.00 is the thin edge of the wedge,more to follow later! have PM'd you.

Got the email, very interesting. It seems you can only have you wife living with you in the UK if you want to waiste a consdierable amount of money with British Embassy complying with their home-made, unchallengable rules and regulations. Great for those that have loads of money, what about the rest of us. I suppose no one cares else there would be a contact point concerning this matter.

It seems you can only have you wife living with you in the UK if you want to waiste a consdierable amount of money with British Embassy complying with their home-made, unchallengable rules and regulations.

Yep and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it :o

It seems you can only have you wife living with you in the UK if you want to waiste a consdierable amount of money with British Embassy complying with their home-made, unchallengable rules and regulations.

Vote for someone else other than Labour at next election and let your Labour candidate know why you voted against them

Vote for someone else other than Labour at next election and let your Labour candidate know why you voted against them

Yep your'e right Ratcha but it's still too late to do anything about it. They brought it in by stealth and i can't see any gov't changing it.

Yes you are correct, wife gets aggro learning English with ESOL to level Three or studying for citizenship test before ILR, (£950.0 + test charges!) am I correct so far?

No she doesn't have to learn English or study to remain in UK but she gets full benefits of the NHS and certain public funds (like child benefit) and can remain indefinitely if she applies. If she wishes to apply for ILR it is £750 so you have been spreading inappropraite rumours via PM already. To apply for FLR costs £395.

So not correct so far!

Whilst on the two-year probationary visa, the holder does not qualify to receive any public fund, including child benefit. The only exception to this is Working/Child Tax Credit when the individual subject to immigration conditions is the spouse of someone settled in the U.K.

Scouse.

Whilst on the two-year probationary visa, the holder does not qualify to receive any public fund, including child benefit. The only exception to this is Working/Child Tax Credit when the individual subject to immigration conditions is the spouse of someone settled in the U.K.

Scouse.

I think its fair to add that the visa holders spouse can claim child benefit on behalf of any step-children that may have an SV as well.

Scouse.

I think its fair to add that the visa holders spouse can claim child benefit on behalf of any step-children that may have an SV as well.

Yes, that's certainly true.

Scouse.

I have been married to my Thai wife for 2 years this November. I thought she had to take the citizenship test before the visa expires.

Could she stay for another 2 years if we extend her current visa and just pay 395 pounds.

Regards

Gibbo

Thank you yet again Scouse for your help and quick reply.

My wife has really struggled with the learning English and has been worrying about

passing the citizenship test. I think we will just extend her current visa for two years, I hope

to retire to Thailand in the next 3 years anyway.

Regards

Gibbo

Before ILR is granted TODAY a Thai Wife MUST have ESOL to level Three or pass the Citizenship test or keep paying £395.00 for FLR until she has reached ILR Ciizenship Standard in English and passed the test. I quoted ILR Premium £950.00, looking at my list I see it is in fact £750.0 it is still a lot of money for somebody just starting out, Wife received child benefit but in my name! British Passport' another spending spree! all done and dusted now!

You been reading my PM's Angrit? I will slap your legs you naughty boy.

This is the point, it not mentioned anywhere and so it is easy for them to double the price and get away with it. Makes you think to get it all now just for the reason that it may double again, who knows!!??

This is the point, it not mentioned anywhere and so it is easy for them to double the price and get away with it. Makes you think to get it all now just for the reason that it may double again, who knows!!??

You could well be right. Scouse or another member could probably quote the actual figures but only a few years ago it was free. Then you had to start paying (insert actual amount) :D and now it has gone upto £750.

At this rate, in a few years it will be the cost of 12 months mortgage on a terraced house!! :D

You just don't get it, do you?

This level of charges makes the operation attractive to a private contractor. Why else have they turned a government department into the Borders & Immigration "Agency". In a few years you could find your application being dealt with by XYZplc and somesuch as Group4 will come and kick the door down to take you away if you're a day late making it. "UK Visas" has been created as a separate brand within the Foreign Office, who always regarded immigration work as rough trade and wouldn't be sorry to see it hived off. The Visa Application Centre in Bangkok might one day become the decision-making operation as well. Or more likely the whole world will send everything online to a big shed somewhere in the UK, also to be dealt with by XYZplc.

It's a Brave New World, folks

You just don't get it, do you?

This level of charges makes the operation attractive to a private contractor. Why else have they turned a government department into the Borders & Immigration "Agency". In a few years you could find your application being dealt with by XYZplc and somesuch as Group4 will come and kick the door down to take you away if you're a day late making it. "UK Visas" has been created as a separate brand within the Foreign Office, who always regarded immigration work as rough trade and wouldn't be sorry to see it hived off. The Visa Application Centre in Bangkok might one day become the decision-making operation as well. Or more likely the whole world will send everything online to a big shed somewhere in the UK, also to be dealt with by XYZplc.

It's a Brave New World, folks

It is a costly new world!!! (forget brave, just get money and you will be OK)