what happened to the alleged new test for big bikes

The same thing that happend after numerous announcements, crack downs, policy changes etc...   

....  Nothing... 

Someone in a position of authority has had their opportunity to 'peacock'....   but policy change takes work and effort carry through into effect...   so what happened ???...  the general degree of apathy and laziness we see all over in those in positions of decision making authority.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A big bike in TH seems to be anything bigger than 160cc  :cheesy:

I think at the time of the announcement it was floated that anything larger than 400cc was to be considered a big bike... 

Of course, a lot of ego's chipped in with the predicable comments that anything smaller than litre bike was underpowered and not a real bike etc...     but for licensing purposes, as per the discussion at the time there has to be a cut off, and 400cc seems to be a decent cut off point.

I have a 300cc scooter - definitely not a big bike !!!.. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think at the time of the announcement it was floated that anything larger than 400cc was to be considered a big bike... 

Of course, a lot of ego's chipped in with the predicable comments that anything smaller than litre bike was underpowered and not a real bike etc...     but for licensing purposes, as per the discussion at the time there has to be a cut off, and 400cc seems to be a decent cut off point.

I have a 300cc scooter - definitely not a big bike !!!.. 

For me, big would mean something that will handle 2 people +, and the highway @ 75 mph, with lots of throttle left.   At least 900cc, and many would probably think 1100cc, (maybe ever full dresser for comfort), but really not needed, as my 900cc was more than ample, comfy w/extra power if needed, with 2+.

My 750cc, nah.  Not with 2 people, comfort or top end stability.

400cc, that's a joke.  Don't know any that started on less than 450/500cc in USA, then quickly upgraded to 750cc or much more.

Although, economics has a lot to do with it, as most can't or won't spend $5-10-20-30k dollars for a scooter here.  $3k / ฿100 being more than a stretch for many, even me, as can't see the point for knocking around town.  Don't need to do more than 90kph to drive locally.

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

For me, big would mean something that will handle 2 people +, and the highway @ 75 mph, with lots of throttle left.   At least 900cc, and many would probably think 1100cc, (maybe ever full dresser for comfort), but really not needed, as my 900cc was more than ample, comfy w/extra power if needed, with 2+.

400cc, that's a joke.  Don't know any that started on less than 450/500cc in USA, then quickly upgraded to 750cc or much more.

Although, economics has a lot to do with it, as most can't or won't spend $5-10-20-30k dollars for a scooter here.  $3k / ฿100 being more than a stretch for many, even me, as can't see the point for knocking around town.  Don't need to do more than 90kph to drive locally.

CCs don't mean too much. kW/HP is what would matter. They could just copy the rules from the EU and be done with it. At least then they would have already aligned with the manufacturers who developed models specifically around those rules.

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

CCs don't mean too much. kW/HP is what would matter. They could just copy the rules from the EU and be done with it. At least then they would have already aligned with the manufacturers who developed models specifically around those rules.

CCs usually translate to kW/HP, though now with E-MC, guess they would have to think of something else.  Although, if you can drive a 125cc, not much difference than a 750 or 900cc, as long as you don't fall over, hopping on or off it.   I started out on 750cc.   1 down 4 up, clutch-brake-brake, know your limitations ... SPEED KILLS

Not much else to learn, until you want to play :coffee1:

Initially in NZ it was all cc based for getting a bike licence. 

Learners and restricted licences upto 250cc only.  Once you got your full licence then the sky was the limit. 

About 8 years ago they changed everything as evolution of bikes had moved forward.  Actually even back before the change you could get smaller cc bikes that had greater HP than larger bikes.  Yamaha RD350 (2 stroke rocket) being one that comes to mind. 

Now in NZ its all to do with HP. Power to weight ratio.  You could get upto a  660cc bike that is LAMS approved (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme), so novice/learners can use those. 

They even mention those bikes of 250cc that are not approved due to HP. 

So it's come some way to ensure learners arent hopping on bikes with too much power.  A good move. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

A big bike in TH seems to be anything bigger than 160cc  :cheesy:

My bike is 1200cc and those 160 cc monsters are actually taller than my bike.

• Haha 1

The whole size thing is subjective, my wife says my kawa300 is a big bike, she can’t ride it without dumping it. Anything under 400 or 500cc is small being that anything under 500cc is a learning bike for most. Mid size up to about 800-900cc, some would argue anything under a 1000cc is a mid size. So the subject is a bit subjective. I consider my bn600 a mid size, kawa300 small and the our honda 125/160 series to be dinky but fun tiny bikes to zip around on for errands and such. Some people worry about cosmetics opposed functionality. I know that some of you out there develop an inferiority complex and feel insecure about your image on a small bike, silly and undeveloped immaturity disposition is what it actually is. Ride whatever is safe and comfortable, that’s the real imperative. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean you renewed your standard Motorcycle license ???... 

well they announced the "big  bike  licence"  so i assumed theyd  done it , hence why I put big  bike  licence as its relevant to the thread of  "whatever happened to it"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean you renewed your standard Motorcycle license ???... 

well they announced the "big  bike  licence"  so i assumed theyd  done it , hence why I put big  bike  licence as its relevant to the thread of  "whatever happened to it"

You mean you renewed your own motorcycle licence and assumed you had a big big licence that was being renewed because of an announcement a couple of years ago ????

[ "Just renewed my big bike licence" ]

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Our own subjective opinion is somewhat irrelevant to what the authorities call a big bike...     

Ride a Triumph Rocket (at 2458cc) and nearly every other motorcycle is no longer a big-bike !!!... 

Thailand already made bike for export to Europe, so making bike that can be restricted to A2-A1, level then unrestricted by removing the restrictor when the rider has earned the appropriate license is possible 

with most things in Thailand, this will probably be done at the dealer when sold to anyone without a license

but to be fair most big bike dealer in Thailand are careful to not sell to unexperienced rider and most big brands has decent riding school you can go to, still doesn't stop clueless parent buying their 16 years old 650cc 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ride a Triumph Rocket (at 2458cc) and nearly every other motorcycle is no longer a big-bike !!!... 

Best example why cc is a stupid measure because any modern liter sports bike with less than half the cc will fly past that thing like it's a tractor with an anchor.

Power is a much better metric. As mentioned Thailand already produces bikes that are compatible with EU rules which have the A2 license where a bike must not produce more than 47HP and must not produce more than 95HP when unrestricted.

Another killer for cc based regulations are of course electric bikes which have zero cc.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

but to be fair most big bike dealer in Thailand are careful to not sell to unexperienced rider and most big brands has decent riding school you can go to, still doesn't stop clueless parent buying their 16 years old 650cc 

Do they ??...    Dealerships would say no to a 16-19 year old ready to drop cash on a 650cc bike ??

I like the idea that they'd be that responsible, though I struggle to believe they'd chose morals over a sale. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Our own subjective opinion is somewhat irrelevant to what the authorities call a big bike...     

been mentioned over 400 cc  originally, that wasnt  my opinion and the basis for the comment about what happoened to it. They said 400cc  up was  going to be classed as big  bike.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

IMHO The problem is that a “big bike license” doesn’t exist in Thailand yet, so even if you were asking for that, you should have written “motorcycle driver license” because it is what you were getting 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

you  know what ive decded this forum is  a load of <deleted>e and wont bother with anymore posts as they always end like this. If youd seen the news a few years back they said they were doing a  big  bike licence................... oh whats the fukkin point sod off

Take it easy, it’s just a discussion forum & you’ve started off a discussion- that’s all….  Relax & roll with the thread. 

I answered you in the 3rd post on this thread….  
Q: what happened to the big bike license? 
A: Nothing, it was just a pie in the sky announcement with no teeth, just like most announcements.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

you  know what ive decded this forum is  a load of <deleted>e and wont bother with anymore posts as they always end like this. If youd seen the news a few years back they said they were doing a  big  bike licence................... oh whats the fukkin point sod off

come on, it's only a forum.

no need to over react. :giggle:

Capture.PNG

Edited by rocketboy2

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
3 hours ago, alesaldana said:

you  know what ive decded this forum is  a load of <deleted>e and wont bother with anymore posts as they always end like this.

thx

On 5/14/2024 at 8:47 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Just renewed my big  bike licence, just laughable I mean a footbrake test for a motorbike when 85% of the braking is done with the front brake lever,guess they call it a reaction test, anyway the whole things pathetic  but reminds me .....what happened to the alleged "big bike"  test they were rambling on about a  few  years  ago cuz  it aint materialised.

Why do you stress about that? Noneed because I gues that you are much to old for biking. Grab a taxi