Google stopped playing sounds on videos

Has anyone else had this problem? Yesterday for no apparent reason Google Chrome just stopped playing audio on You tube, messenger, Facebook, etc. 

I have tried everything, gone into settings, made sure it is enabled, cleared cache, etc. Deleted & re installed Google, even a system restore ( Windows 11). I fired up EDGE, and it plays sound with no problems, so Google Chrome is the problem. Looking on their help plaform is about as useful as opening a bacon factory in Iran.

I am not super computer literate, but not quite Fred Flinstone. 

If anyone else has suffered this glitch maybe they have the answer?

Many thanks for your time,

Regards

AFJ.

• Like 1

I have this problem sometimes, although not with Chrome since I don't use it. I eventually found a setting that kept getting changed by some rogue app.

Check the Sound Mixer settings and see if Chrome is muted.

ScreenHunter1507_52.png.9a301d87bc962bdb5507b1c44b2212ca.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Joe said:

I have this problem sometimes, although not with Chrome since I don't use it. I eventually found a setting that kept getting changed by some rogue app.

Check the Sound Mixer settings and see if Chrome is muted.

ScreenHunter1507_52.png.9a301d87bc962bdb5507b1c44b2212ca.png

Many thanks Joe. Crazy thing, I went to where you described, and Google was not there, only the system sounds, which was on 100%. Just for fun I clied on reset sound devices. Went onto You tube, nothing. Went back, and behold, Google was now on the list at 100%. Went back but no sound. Restarted confuser, checked again, and clicked reset again........Oh mighty miracles, it worked.........What happens to do these things I will never know. Yesterday I spent hours changing settings, deleting, reloading. Many thanks again for taking the time to show me, I now have a screenshot for the next time it happens.....:w00t:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I just checked mine - Chrome, Windows 10. Youtube, Instagram and news feeds all working fine. For what it's worth, I have blocked all updates.

After two more attempts using Joe's instructions it finally works.....for now.......However, I like your idea of blocking updates, and will do this in a minute. I am not sure if a rogue app did it, or a download, but I am certain Microsoft just pump out updates then wait for the bugs to appear instead of taking time to produce a stable system in the first place. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply, and help.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:44 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Looking on their help plaform is about as useful as opening a bacon factory in Iran.

On 5/15/2024 at 7:44 AM, AhFarangJa said:

I am not super computer literate, but not quite Fred Flinstone. 

OP, thank you for todays small chuckles!

I really wish you would post more often on this forum, your statements are quippy, insightful, well written, and a pleasure to read!

Regarding your problem, happy to hear that it is resolved.

Cheers, Sam.

• Thanks 1

Right click on taskbar speaker icon to get "Open Volume Mixer" dialog, same as Settings - System - Sounds - Volume mixer. Since a recent Windows update I've had problems with Windows capriciously setting apps to very low levels. First thing I do with low / no audio problem is check Windows Volume Mixer settings. For safety I leave Windows Updates on, let the monthly update install, and remain aware that sometimes it creates problems.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 4:14 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Many thanks Joe. Crazy thing, I went to where you described, and Google was not there, only the system sounds, which was on 100%. Just for fun I clied on reset sound devices. Went onto You tube, nothing. Went back, and behold, Google was now on the list at 100%. Went back but no sound. Restarted confuser, checked again, and clicked reset again........Oh mighty miracles, it worked.........What happens to do these things I will never know. Yesterday I spent hours changing settings, deleting, reloading. Many thanks again for taking the time to show me, I now have a screenshot for the next time it happens.....:w00t:

Just a nitpick but it's Chrome, not Google. Or Google Chrome. But Google itself usually refers to the search engine not the browser. Might help in the future if you have some issue and are... googling for an answer 🙂

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 8:00 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

I just checked mine - Chrome, Windows 10. Youtube, Instagram and news feeds all working fine. For what it's worth, I have blocked all updates.

So you are using a 10 year old version of W10 with no security updates?

I use W11 updated regularly, and I have sound on You Tube, Instagram, and news feeds just like you do.

• Confused 3

35 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you are using a 10 year old version of W10 with no security updates?

I use W11 updated regularly, and I have sound on You Tube, Instagram, and news feeds just like you do.

What is the point of your reply?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Just a nitpick but it's Chrome, not Google. Or Google Chrome. But Google itself usually refers to the search engine not the browser. Might help in the future if you have some issue and are... googling for an answer 🙂

Thanks for that info, I just copied what the desktop shortcut reads...Google Chrome. Anyway, it has happened again today, no sound again when using chrome. and it is not listed anymore on the apps settings in sound. Works ok on edge. Maybe just go over to using edge instead......or............throw the machine out the nearest window.........Is that not why they call the system Windows........

Since you have no problems with your computer its Youtube problem because in some videos I had have the same problem. (check pc sound by trying to play mp3 in your pc).

In addition dont interrupt your pc windows security updates and update your antivirus program everyday manually or automatically for your safety.

I had have Win10 problem updates for almost 1 month and I read from official Win10 site that it was microsoft bug problem and it will be solved but I download a program from microsoft reader forum and Win10 update problem is solved.

My Win10 everyday makes updates and everyday is "You are up to date".

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Since you have no problems with your computer its Youtube problem because in some videos I had have the same problem. (check pc sound by trying to play mp3 in your pc).

In addition dont interrupt your pc windows security updates and update your antivirus program everyday manually or automatically for your safety.

I had have Win10 problem updates for almost 1 month and I read from official Win10 site that it was microsoft bug problem and it will be solved but I download a program from microsoft reader forum and Win10 update problem is solved.

My Win10 everyday makes updates and everyday is "You are up to date".

Thank you Paris, The computer plays music, plays sound on movies, plays sound if I use edge browser. Only using Chrome is there no sound, either on you tube, or trying to play reels in Farcebook. At the moment I have gone over to Edge as default browser, which, to be honest, is as good as Chrome, but not so invasive.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Coota said:

I had the exact same problem a few days ago, I fixed it through the sound settings. Looks like something changed things in there.

For sure Coota. When the sound came back for a half day Chrome was listed in the volume mixer of sound settings, as Edge now is. However, it has disappeared from there again. It will not beat me though. The confuser may have won this skirmish, but I will win the war.........just gathering the firewood now......and as soon as the rains stop........:1zgarz5:

• Like 1