Royal Thai Air Force Pilot Dodges Festival Rocket in Close Call

webfact

billd766, you have forgotten that you are in Thailand, the wild wild east.

Do you actually think that any airport officials are told about these festivals

in advance?  Maybe some remember to let them know, but i bet a lot of these rockets

are launched on a whim. This Is Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Since when does anyone in Thailand consider anything, think about the danger of what they are doing? They don't care. I've been to these rocket festivals, and the size and ferocity of these rockets are impressive for home-made devices. Also frightening, because we all know that safety is rarely a consideration here. Wasn't someone killed a few days ago? But it's always sanuk first, safety second.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

billd766, you have forgotten that you are in Thailand, the wild wild east.

Do you actually think that any airport officials are told about these festivals

in advance?  Maybe some remember to let them know, but i bet a lot of these rockets

are launched on a whim. This Is Thailand.

PNG was/maybe still is much wilder than Thailand. The locals were very nice people, but, they could switch to being nasty people in the blink of an eye.

When I worked  in PNG and was responsible for mobile phone sites, I went to the local helicopter company and gave them the GPS locations and tower heights of all my sites. They had no idea that we were building a network and were grateful that somebody took the thought and the information to them.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, JCCR6 said:

If a cardboard or wooden home made rocket takes out your military aircraft there are maybe bigger things you need to worry about. 

Have you ever seen one of those Issan rockets close up?  They're about 6m long And weigh about 50kg.  They also 'land' somewhere!

Edited by Chillypom