Thai School Supports LGBTQ Rights: Students Allowed Freedom in Hairstyling Choices

snoop1130

2624138083_2eeb084a3c_b.jpg

In an unprecedented decision, Boon Wattana School in Nakhon Ratchasima is now enabling LGBTQ students to style their hair according to their gender identity. The new rule has resulted in several male students confidently displaying long hair, an option formerly accessible only to female students.

Panwarit Patwimonsilp, a 16-year-old Boon Wattana student, was thrilled by the transformation. He said, "Last year, I was forced to have a haircut like other boys, which negatively impacted my self-esteem. Hearing the school now permits us to pick our hairdos made me grow my hair again during the school hiatus. This innovative rule makes school exciting for me."

Principal Wichien Thongklee stated that Boon Wattana is the first school in the area to recognize and respect students' right to showcase their gender identity through their looks. The conclusion was drawn after a joint meeting involving the school board, executives, parents, teachers, and student representatives.

Thongklee noted, "This initiative has been warmly embraced by students and their parents. All the LGBTQ students I encountered today appeared truly joyful. This aligns perfectly with our policy favoring a positive and fun learning environment."

Further advancing its inclusive efforts, the school is building specific rainbow toilets for LGBTQ students. The project is expected to finish in a week, says The Nation. Thongklee also mentioned that the school would consistently review these new rules to make sure they address all student needs.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

This innovative rule makes school exciting for me."

Hardly innovative.  🙄

Principal Wichien Thongklee stated that Boon Wattana is the first school in the area to recognize and respect students' right to showcase their gender identity through their looks.

Do they have such a right?  They're at school.  Perhaps he meant to give them a right to do this in this particular school.

Thongklee noted, "This initiative has been warmly embraced by students and their parents. All the LGBTQ students I encountered today appeared truly joyful. This aligns perfectly with our policy favoring a positive and fun learning environment."

Of course the students are happy with fewer rules.  Most of them would be happy with less learning and more break times.

Pleasing students should never be the priority.  It should be about how things affect their performance and their learning environment.