CCTV Cameras

I'm a complete novice on this, but the time has come to install one at Mrs. B shop. after a violent incident occurred. 

I want one that just plugs into the mains and takes a memory card, no WIFI, or phone connection, I have looked on Lazada but they talk about connecting it to a phone.

Any help would be appreciated. I see some for under 700b which would be in my budget, but they do not show where the card would be fitted. 

13 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

just need to hire a thai security guard..make sure the chair is comfy so can sleep undisturbed

Not helpful nor are sticky balls.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jai Dee said:

It may pay to visit PowerBuy and see what they have to offer.

Here is their online surveillance camera page to give you an idea.

Thanks for your help, but I'm on Koh Chang, Advice here are good but they don't speak English, Big C same, and one phone repair shop sells them, but catching the only one who speaks English actually there is a hit and miss situation, I have sent a message to the seller on Lazada but often sent in Thai, even though I request their reply in English, the reply I've got so far is ♥♥♥ :giggle: really helpful init. I think I'll just go to one of them and open the box, I'm sure I can figure it out by just looking at it. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I'm a complete novice on this, but the time has come to install one at Mrs. B shop. after a violent incident occurred. 

I want one that just plugs into the mains and takes a memory card, no WIFI, or phone connection, I have looked on Lazada but they talk about connecting it to a phone.

Any help would be appreciated. I see some for under 700b which would be in my budget, but they do not show where the card would be fitted. 

You want a means of storage. CCTV is of little use if you cant look at an incident. The use of the phone is so you can see any activity when you are not there. If you are using an SD card then the camera needs motion detection or you will be changing the card many times.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

You want a means of storage. CCTV is of little use if you cant look at an incident. The use of the phone is so you can see any activity when you are not there. If you are using an SD card then the camera needs motion detection or you will be changing the card many times.

My dash cam just has a CD/memory card and just records in a loop, no need to change the card ever. Edit; What happens when nobody is there doesn't matter in this circumstance it to protect my missus from attack at her shop, and be able to show the cops next time. Full story on How's your week end.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My dash cam just has a CD/memory card and just records in a loop, no need to change the card ever.

Recording in a loop is fine but if it is for security you dont want video to over write what you want to review. 

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

Recording in a loop is fine but if it is for security you dont want video to over write what you want to review. 

See my edit.

Just now, brianthainess said:

See my edit.

I dont need to I know how CCTV works and for security purposes you want a record which is usually a recording going back 24 hours without over writing any data. A SD card wont guarantee that such data is available over this period of time. 

You could check out the EZVIZ range on Lazada... see here.

Just because a camera like the C3TN is wifi capable does not mean that you have to use it.

That particular model also accepts SIM cards of up to 256GB so plenty of storage space.

It also has human motion detection which is handy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Just because a camera like the C3TN is wifi capable does not mean that you have to use it.

That particular model also accepts SIM cards of up to 256GB so plenty of storage space.

Thanks that were the ones I've been looking at, I presume you mean memory cards not sim cards ? 

6 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I dont need to I know how CCTV works and for security purposes you want a record which is usually a recording going back 24 hours without over writing any data. A SD card wont guarantee that such data is available over this period of time. 

The amount of data consumed by one hour of video depends on various factors such as the video resolution, the video encoding format, and the video compression settings used.

As a rough guideline, you can use the following estimates for different H.264 video resolutions:

Standard Definition (SD) video (480p): Approximately 1 GB per hour

High Definition (HD) video (720p or 1080p): Approximately 2-3 GB per hour

Full High Definition (Full HD) video (1080p): Approximately 3-4 GB per hour

Quad High Definition (QHD) video (1440p): Approximately 5-6 GB per hour

Ultra High Definition (UHD) or 4K video: Approximately 7-10 GB per hour

Recording in H265 codec format will result in even lower data storage requirements.

By using a 3MP camera such as the one I suggested above (Resolution 2304 x 1296, 30fps) recording in compressed H.265 format you should be able to continuously record over 3.5 days (assuming that the shop is closed and locked for 12 hours/day and open for 12 hours/day) by using a 256GB memory card.

If the camera is using motion detection to activate recording then this will result in even lower data storage requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Most cameras can record 8 days on a 128GB card (mine certainly does).

I use the LLSee 380pro as you can use the full recording without paying a yearly subscription.

It also tracks the person moving in shot, and allows 2 way comms.

Has to be linked to a smartphone to view, also sends snapshots of 'alerts' to your phone.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/llsee-v380-pro-4k-8mp-wifi-ptz-outdoor-ip-security-camera-ai-i5131571791-s21668198096.html

Lots of the other software require a paid subscription, which they fail to mention in the ads.

EZVIZ mentioned by others appears to need a paid subscription to operate.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thanks that were the ones I've been looking at, I presume you mean memory cards not sim cards ? 

Correct... this one in particular uses a MicroSD card:

image.png.e58ce264a310263caf0f0762f0d69fe1.png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

:huh:   I didn't say you did need to know 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I use the LLSee 380pro as you can use the full recording without paying a yearly subscription.

Has to be linked to a smartphone to view, also sends snapshots of 'alerts' to your phone.

Lots of the other software require a paid subscription, which they fail to mention in the ads.

Very true, and the camera I suggested also fits into this category.

However the OP specifically stated that 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I want one that just plugs into the mains and takes a memory card, no WIFI, or phone connection

so if he goes down this route, it means that if he ever does wish to view any recordings, he will have to remove the SD card from the camera and install it in a SD card reader for a PC or something similar so he can view the media files.

7 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

The amount of data consumed by one hour of video depends on various factors such as the video resolution, the video encoding format, and the video compression settings used.

As a rough guideline, you can use the following estimates for different H.264 video resolutions:

Standard Definition (SD) video (480p): Approximately 1 GB per hour

High Definition (HD) video (720p or 1080p): Approximately 2-3 GB per hour

Full High Definition (Full HD) video (1080p): Approximately 3-4 GB per hour

Quad High Definition (QHD) video (1440p): Approximately 5-6 GB per hour

Ultra High Definition (UHD) or 4K video: Approximately 7-10 GB per hour

Recording in H265 codec format will result in even lower data storage requirements.

By using a 3MP camera such as the one I suggested above (Resolution 2304 x 1296, 30fps) recording in compressed H.265 format you should be able to continuously record over 3.5 days (assuming that the shop is closed and locked for 12 hours/day and open for 12 hours/day) by using a 256GB memory card.

If the camera is using motion detection to activate recording then this will result in even lower data storage requirements.

I know the standards and you are correct in what you have wrote. As you say 30fps is minimum but perfectly adequate for most purposes.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

EZVIZ mentioned by others appears to need a paid subscription to operate.

If the recording is constantly running and with a minimum of 30fps then you would be doing good to get 8 days worth of video. but if a couple of days is adequate for the needs then yes that is fine.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

:huh:   I didn't say you did need to know 

I am aware of that and didnt mean it in any way to be offensive. At the end of the day the storage capacity is defined by how long recordings are to be made. If you go away for a week then you dont want recording to stop or over write after 3 days. 

2 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Very true, and the camera I suggested also fits into this category.

However the OP specifically stated that 

so if he goes down this route, it means that if he ever does wish to view any recordings, he will have to remove the SD card from the camera and install it in a SD card reader for a PC or something similar so he can view the media files.

That is exactly what I would do so I can take it to the Cop shop to show them how my missus was attacked if god forbid this happens again, just maybe the cops might give her a warning, next time, but I wont hold my breath. I told my wife to ask the bitch for compensation. My wife was so traumatized I thought one of her kids had died. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

That is exactly what I would do so I can take it to the Cop shop to show them how my missus was attacked if god forbid this happens again, just maybe the cops might give her a warning, next time, but I wont hold my breath. I told my wife to ask the bitch for compensation. My wife was so traumatized I thought one of her kids had died. 

As it is for your wife's personal security I would be looking to purchase something that had the highest possible resolution so that facial recognition is not compromised... 3MP(2K) minimum but preferably 5MP(3K).

Your storage capacity will be reduced by larger file sizes, but you will have sharper videos.

Why not get one of your locals there on KC to demonstrate the difference between 3MP and 5MP on their cameras and you can see for yourself?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CCTV security is one of those things that you get what you pay for, and the sky can be the limit. 

There's plenty on the internet about it, and other members have already given you some advice. 

Base level CCTV for a commercial premises, like a small shop, would be a 4 Channel NVR.  1 camera on the front entrance.  1 camera on any rear entrance.  1 camera on the counter, and if employing staff, 1 camera pointing down at the cash register. 

You can pay a little more and get a 8 Channel NVR and add more cameras to cover other points of entry, such as windows, or storerooms holding stock. 

I suggest decent HDD's, with a minimum of 2 HDD's for redundancy.  The size of the HDD's depends on how long you want to keep the footage.  For example, if the shop is closed on Sundays, you will need enough storage to cover from 5pm Saturday (closing) to 9am Monday (opening)  The size of the HDD's is related to the amount of cameras and their resolution.  Seagate make good surveillance HDD's.  

Your main reason for CCTV is to record any violent assault, but if you are buying a CCTV system, you may as well use it to cover break ins, shoplifting, armed robbery, theft by staff etc etc.  

If you do not require this level of CCTV surveillance, due to the nature of the business, you might consider a simple body cam like below.  They are cheap, and are closer to the offender than a wall mounted camera, and face in the direction of the wearer.  Sure, it's possible the offender could steal it and the evidence is lost, but in the heat of the battle, this may be overlooked by the offender. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/md80-dv-2mp-hd-mini-action-camera-dv-dvr-i4990738478-s21053306598.html?c=&channelLpJumpArgs=&clickTrackInfo=query%3Abody%2Bcam%3Bnid%3A4990738478%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A6a4904970c41286ff2a6df9ebda1f0c2%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A4990738478_TH%3Bprice%3A136%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100105618%3Bbiz_source%3Ah5_hp%3Bslot%3A20%3Butlog_bucket_id%3A470687%3Basc_category_id%3A9866%3Bitem_id%3A4990738478%3Bsku_id%3A21053306598%3Bshop_id%3A134721&fastshipping=0&freeshipping=1&fs_ab=2&fuse_fs=&lang=en&location=Pathum Thani&price=136&priceCompare=skuId%3A21053306598%3Bsource%3Alazada-search-voucher%3Bsn%3A6a4904970c41286ff2a6df9ebda1f0c2%3BunionTrace%3Aa3b58f9717161744392815651e%3BoriginPrice%3A13600%3BvoucherPrice%3A13600%3BdisplayPrice%3A13600%3BsinglePromotionId%3A-1%3BsingleToolCode%3AmockedSalePrice%3BvoucherPricePlugin%3A1%3BbuyerId%3A0%3Btimestamp%3A1716174439740&ratingscore=5.0&request_id=6a4904970c41286ff2a6df9ebda1f0c2&review=4&sale=8&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.20&stock=1

20 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Just asking but how are the cameras powered ?, I can only see an Ethernet connection, but the shop has no wi-fi router/fiber connection.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just asking but how are the cameras powered ?, I can only see an Ethernet connection, but the shop has no wi-fi router/fiber connection.

The package comes with a 220AC-12VDC power adapter so you simply plug it into a GPO. From memory it comes with about 1m of cable

image.png.79009214fa36556f909536d9767d7683.png

This page will give you more information on that particular camera in English.

Please bear in mind that without a wifi connection your control of the camera and access to some of its features will be limited, as they are only accessible via the EZViz app. For example, turning the internal spotlights on and off... but as yours would be used in a shop environment where the lighting would be constant this feature would not needed anyway.

image.png.8ac25a53e873b48a2b507be90e82c2ec.png

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You can pay a little more and get a 8 Channel NVR and add more cameras to cover other points of entry, such as windows, or storerooms holding stock. 

A very good point and the camera I suggested to the OP can be linked with up to 7 more to an NVR such as this one with up to 6 TB of storage for data.

This of course is a wifi solution (which the OP is currently not looking for)... there are others that used hard-wired ethernet cable to link cameras with NVR's.

Something that the OP might want to consider too is the possibility of using a battery-powered camera kit... you can see the full range of EZViz security cameras here, however I would be looking at their local distributor in Thailand here on Lazada for availability and pricing.

There are of course cheaper solutions too... Lazada is full of them.

However if you want a quality product with a genuine manufacturer's warranty and local support, then you have to be prepared to pay a little bit more. 

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with EZViz and its products... just a happy customer.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 8:42 AM, Jai Dee said:

A very good point and the camera I suggested to the OP can be linked with up to 7 more to an NVR such as this one with up to 6 TB of storage for data.

This of course is a wifi solution (which the OP is currently not looking for)... there are others that used hard-wired ethernet cable to link cameras with NVR's.

Something that the OP might want to consider too is the possibility of using a battery-powered camera kit... you can see the full range of EZViz security cameras here, however I would be looking at their local distributor in Thailand here on Lazada for availability and pricing.

There are of course cheaper solutions too... Lazada is full of them.

However if you want a quality product with a genuine manufacturer's warranty and local support, then you have to be prepared to pay a little bit more. 

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with EZViz and its products... just a happy customer.

I think more information, and a budget in mind, is needed from the OP so some kits can be suggested.  

On 5/20/2024 at 4:20 AM, brianthainess said:

If the cameras are powered over ethernet (PoE) make sure your NVR supports PoE over all channels.  NVR's with PoE cost more, but everything is onboard and is an easier installation.