Wife To Sponsor Her Sister To Australia

Hello all,

I am currently helping my wife to prepare an application for her sister to come to Australia and get permanent residency on basis of being her last remaining relative. Both parents passed away recently and there are no other immediate family members.

I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this type of visa and if they can share any words of wisdom or advice.

Does the existence of a big extended family in Thailand (eg. aunts, uncles, cousins) have any impact on her being classed as a last remaining relative? The form requires a list of all other relatives but gives no indication of how closely related they should be.

Thanks in advance :o

From my experience you will need to provide a guarantee of financial support as usual government benefits may not be provided for two years from time of entry into Australia. However, cross-check as regulations may have changed during last year. I would recommend you contact your local Office of Immigration and request an appointment to ascertain all the criteria for visa approval. Do not use an agent to assist with the application; it's a waste of money. Additionally if you are able to lodge the application in the Oz embassy in Bangkok it speeds up the application processing time. e.g. my Thai wife's son (aged 12), with me as Australian citizen sponsor, was granted a permanent residency visa for Oz within three weeks from Bangkok. Immigration in Sydney quoted a processing time of 6/9 months.

BTW he had access for one year free schooling in English as a second language and the Australia education system with all benefits such as free transport to school, medicare etc. Somewhat different to some Asian countries treatment of foreign nationals.

Australia, as a developed country, has a public teat. Developing countries don't boast such luxuries.

which is such an obvious point you wonder why people continually whinge about it.

Dunno Chris, but they do. The sponsors are not noted for hittng the tin if things go awry.

Australia, as a developed country, has a public teat. Developing countries don't boast such luxuries.

I don't know about public teats. I paid major taxes whilst living in Oz. Nearly 50% income tax if you include complusory 1.5% for Medicare. I was just pointing out some of the major benefits available to Thai nationals migrating to Australia. Let me add the vast majority of the significant drinkers of Government milk in Oz are the local nationals who usually have the same level of boring self expression as you.