Do You Know Much About The "dark Side?"

Shagwell

I've always lived in central Pattaya but am weighing the options. I drive a motorcycle so transportation is not a problem. Some of these housing estates look very pretty and serene. How's security? I do read about the regular break-ins at some estates in between south Pattaya and Jomtien which make me worry. For anyone in the know, what's the pros and cons of the Dark Side? What do you live in and what's your monthly expenses? Thank you.

I've always lived in central Pattaya but am weighing the options. I drive a motorcycle so transportation is not a problem. Some of these housing estates look very pretty and serene. How's security? I do read about the regular break-ins at some estates in between south Pattaya and Jomtien which make me worry. For anyone in the know, what's the pros and cons of the Dark Side? What do you live in and what's your monthly expenses? Thank you.

Dark Side Pro's:

More bang for your buck on rentals or purchase

Some very nice communties that are great if you have a family

Easy parking for your car or cars

Dark Side Con's:

Locations can be far from everything , like grabbing a late night snack from Foodland or just wanting to get inside the real city.

Break ins are much more common over there and you will need a good security system to prevent them

crossing Sukumvit Road

for me pattaya is a love hate relationship.

i hate some things about pattaya ,walking street ,beach road after dark,farang speaking baby talk , bar girls everywhere

i love the easiness of the place to live in, proximity to bangkok for travel around s.e. asia, ease of finding farang food when i have a desperate need for it (every 3 or 4 weeks ),acess to the beach, less traffic than bkk (where i used to live), and i dont need to waste money on a car or mororbike.so to me living over there negates many positives about the place.

a good friend lives on the darkside, he wastes money on a car for himself and motorbike for his bg(he trades in regularly). wastes money getting home after a night out, his street is full of bargirls ,(i.e. its rarely quiet at night), and their farang boyfriends, its no quieter than central pattaya.

empty houses or places for rent/ sale are becoming more common.(i.e .people getting out)

burglary is much more common on the darkside as well .

his monthly expenses arent much more than mine,(he 2 bed t/h,single story, nice house furnished,) me apartment , fully furnished ,nice place but smaller.but i wouldnt live over there if it was half the price.life on this side of the street is so much easier.

I would definately prefer living in Central Pattaya rather than east Pattaya .. (Im currently looking for a house to rent in Central if anyone knows of one) .. Im tired of living "East Side", Its difficult getting across the Sukhumvit to get down Pattaya Klang from Soi Nernplubwan, Also its a long way to go for a snack late at night and just too 'out of town' for me..

I used to live in Central Pattaya, then moved East... Now Im looking to move back again...

If you have a choice, choose Central!

Have some of you lot actually thought about keeping food in your houses???

From Nern Plub Waan turn right after the bridge over the railway line then left, gives you plenty of time to cross sukhumvit road to turn into Pattaya Klang.

Edited by darkside

Have some of you lot actually thought about keeping food in your houses???

From Nern Plub Waan turn right after the bridge over the railway line then left, gives you plenty of time to cross sukhumvit road to turn into Pattaya Klang.

I know there are ways to get across Sukhumvit to Klang, but It still would be just alot easier living in Central Pattaya.. :o

P.s Darkside, I thought this thread was about you at first, before I read it.. :D

Edited by Meg_ken2003

As a person who spent 2 1/2 years on the "light side" and the last 2 1/2 years on the "dark side" I have to say I'm voting Darth Vader all the way.

I never had any worries about break ins on the "light side", but I was living on the 8th floor of Yensabai Condo and Spiderman hadn't been released way back then.

Over here on the "dark side" I live on a village without security guards ( :D:o ), I know, it was months before I could sleep at night :bah: , but to make up for it I have employed 4 paws security and fitted window locks and an alarm.

I have one weak spot on my house where the three 4 paws security guards can't defend the house, but are waiting if the fcukers slip off the porch roof. This has been tested twice whilst I was out and on both occasions they didn't even get past the window locks, let alone beat the alarm.

I drive over to the "light side" most days to do a bit of food shopping or whatever, not because I have to but just to fill up my days. If I sat down on a Moanday and worked out what I needed to get done and what food I required, I'm sure I could manage going over to the "light side" just once a week but what would be the fun in that?

Nights on the "dark side" are great where I live.

My house looks over Lake Kurgen, surrounded by great restaurants, bars( some are S T bars apparently :D ) .

I rarely venture over to the "light side" for a night out because everything I need is here. On the rare occasions I do venture over to the "light side" for a night out it's just to meet up with the philistines who believe life stops at Sukkhumvit. It's a 300 baht cab fare away <deleted> , no need to drink and drive :D !

Anyway, I've broken my rule of one line posts in a big way so I'm signing off before I ruin my reputation.

P.S. tonight I got engaged to the most beautiful lady in the world but I doubt many people read this far so it's our little secret

:D

May the force be with you :bah:

P.S. tonight I got engaged to the most beautiful lady in the world but I doubt many people read this far so it's our little secret

:o

congratulations :D

I live the other side of sukhumvit and really like it here. But I am married with an 8 month old child. Having a 2 bed house has made things a lot easier - esp when friends and family come to stay! The pool etc is a bonus too. After living in apartments in Rayong I can see how they are appealing, but we like that we can get away from the city and its nice and quiet here. Its also very easy to get to the far end of Jomtien beach / cable ski for water sports :D

As a person who spent 2 1/2 years on the "light side" and the last 2 1/2 years on the "dark side" I have to say I'm voting Darth Vader all the way.

Nights on the "dark side" are great where I live.

I rarely venture over to the "light side" for a night out because everything I need is here. On the rare occasions I do venture over to the "light side" for a night out it's just to meet up with the philistines who believe life stops at Sukkhumvit. It's a 300 baht cab fare away <deleted> , no need to drink and drive :D !

But JSB is not the same without you.

Congrats, ya phat phu... :D

So, that explains why you didn't take my calls last night. Will shout you a beer when I am in town next time. :D

"The Dark Side"? Who came up with that idea? I'd call it "The Green Side". Many beautiful villages here for those with families. Singles are probably better off staying in the city.

but you can't deny that the east side 'burbs ARE a lot darker at night

Congrats, ya phat phu... :D

So, that explains why you didn't take my calls last night. Will shout you a beer when I am in town next time. :D

I've put an order in for a couple of jug fulls for ya.

As it's you the brewery are gonna work overtime for a week to fill your jugs :D

"The Dark Side"? Who came up with that idea? I'd call it "The Green Side". Many beautiful villages here for those with families. Singles are probably better off staying in the city.

but you can't deny that the east side 'burbs ARE a lot darker at night

Sorry what are burbs?

Anyway we have lived 'on the darkside' for 2 years and really like it. It is greener, cooler, less poluted, and safer for my kids. There are some lovely family orientated restaurants and the lake is beautiful. Apart from the dreadful roads between Sukhumvit and 'the darkside' everything else is much better. If you use the highway 36 it is fine.

We have not been bothered by burglaries as we have two dogs who warn strangers and unwanted visitors off very effectively.

Agreed ! With DiaperDaleyboy and britmaveric both out of town, losing kurgen as well could mean hard times for the JSB ! :o

Congratulations on the engagement though (one less in competition with me !) :D

Well, if I were a "Wanted" man and had upset anyone in town, the Darkside what not be an option as I would crap myself everytime I made the journey home from Cenrtral Pattaya. The roads are dark, and a single gun shot from a passing motorcyclist and thats it.

However, in terms of quietness and value for money there are are some good longterm rentals available toward Country club for a more descreat lifestyle,

On a bike, having to cross Sukhumvit with a belly full of beer every night would be a worry, but for a non-drinker like yourself, perhaps not.

There are plently of short time establishments around on the darkside, but to visit too often would be a drag, especially if you have decided not to pay the girl :o

If I were you HB, I wouldnt bother returning to Pattaya, and would try somewhere that you are not known, for health reasons if nothing else.

Agreed ! With DiaperDaleyboy and britmaveric both out of town, losing kurgen as well could mean hard times for the JSB ! :o

Congratulations on the engagement though (one less in competition with me !) :D

I'm sure you can "fill the gap" :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm living on the very edge of the dark side - I'm two blocks from Suksumvit. I was pleasantly surprised when I drove to Horseshoe Point for the Jazz Concert, that there are green spaces back there.

What is the internet availability back there? Speed, isp - etc ...

Internet availability is indeed problematic once you get at Lake Mabprachan.

ADSL is only available on TT&T lines, but the main problem is distance to the telephone exchange.

Where I am (the road going from lake Mabprachan to the 36 highway) we can get 256/128 ADSL from TT&T, but becasue of the distance this comes without guarantees, and the line will not be entirely stable.

Between this road, and all around the lake (going towards Siam Country Club Road) no ADSL is available until you are past the lake and hit VJ land and house (behind the "Manneken Pis" open restaurant).

So the Horse Shoe Point area will only be iPSTAR or gprs access. Do note that the gprs network is Edge capable in the area, both from Dtac and AIS.

TT&T has reliably informed me that they will built a new exchange in the area pretty soon, giving us much faster connections. Unfortunately they did not indicate wetter "pretty soon" would still fall in this decade :o:D

Internet availability is indeed problematic once you get at Lake Mabprachan.

ADSL is only available on TT&T lines, but the main problem is distance to the telephone exchange.

Where I am (the road going from lake Mabprachan to the 36 highway) we can get 256/128 ADSL from TT&T, but becasue of the distance this comes without guarantees, and the line will not be entirely stable.

Between this road, and all around the lake (going towards Siam Country Club Road) no ADSL is available until you are past the lake and hit VJ land and house (behind the "Manneken Pis" open restaurant).

So the Horse Shoe Point area will only be iPSTAR or gprs access. Do note that the gprs network is Edge capable in the area, both from Dtac and AIS.

TT&T has reliably informed me that they will built a new exchange in the area pretty soon, giving us much faster connections. Unfortunately they did not indicate wetter "pretty soon" would still fall in this decade :o:D

what about the new CAT CDMA monty does it work out there? I hear it gives good download speeds up around 700k

CAT does not have CDMA coverage in the provinces where Hutch operates!

CAT covers some 50 provinces, Hutch the remaining 20 something provinces, with pretty much the Eastern Seaboard and central Thailand covered by Hutch...

Although Hutch is now trialling the CDMA EV-DO system in Bangkok, so it might not be to long before they will roll out their service out in the other provinces they cover. More info here.

At the moment Hutch only offers cdma 1x in the Pattaya area, with top speeds of 144 kbps. GPRS/Edge will on average outperform Hutch by 20 to 50%.

If and when they roll out, hopefully they will arrange roaming between CAT for data as well, currently roaming works only for voice calls.

Just a few points here.

Firstly, Many congrats Kurgen from Mobi 1 Kenobi :D

May the force be with you indeed! (You didn't say anything yesterday when we met :o )

I think Emcross has summed it up pretty well in her post.

I am extremely happy in my location in Pong, less than five minutes from the lake, and it's growing number of bars, restaurants and stores,even nearer to Monty's Mabprachan resort, which is a great place to while a way an evening with friends and watch live sport on a weekend; 2 minutes from highway 36, and thence to the airport,(took me 60 minutes this morning, even with all the road works, and another 10 mins to central BKK) and to almost anywhere in LOS without ploughing through the traffic of Pattaya City to get on the main highways.

Pong village is a delightful local community with a bustling fresh food market - and dare I say it - the locals are friendly and 'untainted' by the sins and life of the big city.

As mentioned above, I met with Kurgen yesterday morning at Big C on Sukhumvit. I Left home at 1145 am, and was there just after 12 noon - so it really doesn't take long to get to the heart of the city.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone consider living east of Pattaya without their own 4 wheeled transport - motor cycles are far too dangerous IMHO.

I have not experienced any serious crime, nor heard of any in my area in the past years (apart from my water meter being nicked!!), and I really don't worry about it.

While I admit that the "darkside" is probably more suitable for families, there are a number of single men living living east of Sukhumvit - probably enjoying the more laid back lifestyle, rather than the frenetic hurly burly of downtown Pattaya.

It's 'horses for courses', but I know which horse I prefer :D

Live there since 1 year.

It's close enough to the city and far enough from the city at the same time.

I'm a Pattaya - Chonburi City commuter and only go to the city in the weekends. Friday night week-shopping on my way home and leave the car until Monday.

Go to the city on my bike; saves time and is almost as safe as by car.

More and more older villages (e.g. the Aekmongkol chain) are being occupied by larger groups of Thais (friends, families and collegues) which means that there is always someone "alert".

My house looks over Lake Kurgen, surrounded by great restaurants, bars( some are S T bars apparently :D ) .

What is an S T bar???

G

That's where you can have the company of a lady or sometimes a boy if you prefer in a private setting for a SHORT TIME (ST). :o