French Expat Rescues Two Men from Drowning in Lopburi

7 hours ago, Purdey said:

Usually the survivors' first action will be to toddle off to a temple to make merit for being saved. As if some supernatural force had done the saving.

Sadly, that's true. 

I dragged a non swimmer in trouble from Jomtien beach and all he did was thank Buddha. His wife thanked me though.

Maybe Buddha made me go to the beach that day and not my wife, as if!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:27 PM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Tragedy struck in Lopburi as a camping trip turned deadly for a group of friends, but quick action by a French expatriate saved two lives.

On June 1st, 2024, Khok Tum police received an emergency call about three individuals drowning at the Bott Camping Ground in Mueang, Lopburi. Although two men were rescued, one individual remains missing.

Upon receiving the report, Khok Tum police, rescue divers, and other agencies rushed to the scene. Thirty-two-year-olds Mr. Anon and Mr. Sumethi, who were pulled from a pond by the brave bystander, were transported to a local hospital. Both men were exhausted and had ingested water.

According to initial findings, the group had gone camping for a relaxing getaway. In a regrettable turn of events, they consumed alcohol and decided to take a boat out on a nearby pond. The camp owner had cautioned them about strong winds and the lack of lifejackets, but the warning went unheeded.

Ignoring the advice, Mr. Anon, Mr. Sumethi, and Mr. Rungwit, also 32, ventured onto the water. An hour later, their friend Ms. Phattharapon noticed they were in distress and alerted Anchalee, the camp owner.

Sixty-four-year-old Mr. Brand, a French expat vacationing with his Thai wife, sprang into action. Armed with lifejackets, he paddled to the struggling trio. He succeeded in pulling Anon and Sumethi to safety but was unaware that Rungwit was also in the water.

Mr. Sumethi later explained to rescuers that strong winds and turbulent currents capsized their boat while they attempted to return to shore. Despite their efforts, they struggled to stay afloat.

As of now, the search for Rungwit continues in the six-to-seven meter deep pond.

Picture courtesy: Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Good show Mr French!

Years ago, in the Philippines,  I was in a hotel swimming pool with a friend. A Filipina, who could not swim, inched her way too far in the deep end and began to drown. Not wanting to get hit with flailing limbs, I dove underwater and simply grabbed her at the knees, pulled up, and lifted her head out of the water, walked to a more shallow point, and set her down. She coughed and spit water for a few minutes. No thank you. Nothing. My friend was a Vietnam combat veteran and quite inebriated. He got rather upset and shouted at the woman "Jesus Christ, lady, you could at least give the guy a bl&wjob!