Has anyone worked as a lecturer in a University?

What's the role like vs working as a teacher in a government school

I hear the salary is a lot lower (30-35k) but also you get a lot more holiday and the workload is usually easier

I wouldn't mind the lower salary as long as it is with long holidays

Depends what you teach and what uni.

I worked teaching EFL to year 1-2 students at one of the worst unis in bkk. Salary was low hours stupid and students even more stupid. Teaching load was relatively low and class size around 50. This was before the avent of the smart phone. Must be hell now...

For me to do it again the salary and benefits had better be worth it.

Hint: stay away from gvt primary and high schools

• Agree 1

If you have an advanced degree in a specialized subject that is in demand here, you can get excellent pay and working conditions.  I had a friend with a MA in Hotel Management who was very happy and well-paid at his university. 

However, for a standard English teacher with no special qualifications, you are better off teaching younger students.

I worked at a Rajabaht University as an English teacher and at a government school.

Salary at Rajabhat was lower, about 29k. 

Didn't have the feeling you have more holiday at Rajabhat, but the workload was definitely more.

Partly because I got subjects to teach I hadn't taught before and had to create my own syllabus and curriculum etc.

Also, to prepare tests and exams was far more time consuming at Rajabhat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gecko said:

I worked at a Rajabaht University as an English teacher and at a government school.

Salary at Rajabhat was lower, about 29k. 

Didn't have the feeling you have more holiday at Rajabhat, but the workload was definitely more.

Partly because I got subjects to teach I hadn't taught before and had to create my own syllabus and curriculum etc.

Also, to prepare tests and exams was far more time consuming at Rajabhat. 

How much time off in holidays did you have a Rajabhat

Which City if I can ask?

My salary was 28k with no raises the seven years I was there. I had to research and create a syllabus for the semester on a subject that I had not taught before but then could briefly revise for subsequent years. I was required to teach five 3-hour classes and be available for an additional four hours if students had questions. If I didn't have a class, I didn't have to be at school; no signing in and out every morning and evening. I also had the opportunities to teach extra (sometimes offsite) classes for additional pay. Uni paid for visas and work permits and provided an assistant to take care of the paperwork.

Thai colleagues were friendly, helpful and all studied in foreign countries so had good English skills. Department Head was great.

Yes I had to create midterm and final exams and enter grades and comments into the system but after the first year, it got easier. All classrooms had AC and projectors.

The Thai teachers taught grammar and linguistics, the NES teachers taught more specific subjects such as International Business English, Business Presentations, Creative Writing, etc.

Students for the most part were good. There were still 10-20% that sat in the back and didn't contribute much but also didn't cause problems.

Between terms there was usually about four weeks off and maybe 10-12 weeks in the summer. Summer classes were available for extra pay in addition to standard salary. I used the time to create my syllabi and prepare my PP for the roughly 16-20 classes.

14 hours ago, hydraides said:

How much time off in holidays did you have a Rajabhat

Which City if I can ask?

The dates actually changed quite a lot. I  checked the students schedule as for academic year 2024/25: Semester 1: 10. June -14. October. Semester 2: 28. October -7. March. For teachers it wasn't 2 months break as they had to submit grades, attend meetings at end and beginning of semester. At a primary school I had 2-3  weeks holiday in October and 4-6 weeks in April/May. So it's not much difference. Salary seems to  be the same for all Rajabhats afaik. Interesting that there's an application fee which has doubled to 400 Baht.