What Are You Riding?

Kringle

My friend sold his bike that I was repairing and riding and now I have a 86 model Kawasaki 900 Eliminator of my own to work on and ride in the future. There is supposed to be 3 other 900 Eliminators here in LOS but I have yet to find who they belong to or where they are. I love to ride but get $hit scared of these hopped up mopeds here, just no guts. :o What kind of bikes are the rest of you riding?

On another note: I've been trying to get parts for my 900 here and can't find too much. I've got a friend in England that is bringing in a head for the bike but the full gasket set prices there are a bit stiff. Anyone know of a place where I can get some parts for this machine? Thanks for any help. :D

Kringle

Kind of depends where you live. thats my experience anyway. outside of bangkok its hit and miss. parts for anything above 150cc can be VERY difficult to find, and expensive. i just bought a '98 honda shadow 400cc. wouldnt ride inside bangkok city limits for anything, but outside the city its nice to have. check out this link- lots of good bike talk/advice......

http://members3.boardhost.com/thaimotorcyc...html?1080634493

I ride a suzuki intruder 750cc 1990. Fun and easy to drive. It was not my choice. My friend gave it to me when he moved to Europe. The bike was in very bad shape, but after rebuild and customize for 55k it is now better than a new one. But in thailand it seems that only Honda is the bike who not loose their value. The Thais want steed or shadow and you can find parts everywhere. If you have a suzuki, kawasaki or yahama it is hard to find cheap parts and hard to sell (too Thais).

I want a harley but have to win lottery first..

250 Honda, four cylinders. Yeah, got me aswell. Goes like stink, stops like a super tanker. Gonna sell it soon (when the broken leg heals) (bicycle by the way). Need something bigger to get out of BKK and something smaller to get to work.

The NUOVO Auto is a great little bike......45000bht in LOS

I am looking for a good secondhand one.

PM me if you want to sell......

Nuovos are great - fully automatic, easy to ride - but now I've got a Toyota truck. I hate noisy bikes, especially big bikes with straight-through exhausts. I'm off to bkk tomorrow (12 hours in the truck). Hope I don't meet any big bikes. Remember "Easy Rider"? :D:D:o:D:D

I am not a motorbike enthusiast, just want to travel through Bangkok at reasonable speed. I ride an old Suzuki speed on its last leg. Considering what to get when it gives up. Has to be short enough to weave through traffic.

Has anyone tried any of the "Tiger" motorscooters?

The problem with small bikes bought in Thailand is they are made for Thais - too damm small. If I sit where you are supposed to sit, I find it very difficult to change down gear. My leg is too long and I cannot get the back of my heel to go down far enough to change down gear. If I sit half way to the passenger seat, I can do it. Maybe I could sit on a thick cushion? When I buy, it will be a Nuovo - fully automatic, fast, and still small enough to get in and out of traffic.

I ride a shadow 1100 great for touring around Isaan not much traffic nice and cool in the mornings. The cops are friendly and never bother me unlike lot of other areas in thailand. When I lived in bangkok I built a thai drag bike for my wifes younger brother honda dash bord to 150cc fully worked.I still keep it at home now and ride it when ever I need a bit of a speed rush but for every day use I ride a sonic 125

doctor pp and i share the thaivisa company tuk tuk...by the way check the brakes doctor, i pulled a hairy wheelie yesterday on rama 9 and almost took out a few pedestrians.

If that is the same tuk-tuk George sent me when I arrived at the airport last time he needs to get the upholstery redone... never mind the brakes :o

i'm so used to riding a real bike with a tank between my legs that when i ride the "standard" thai transport, Honda Dream, i end up with my knees together like a girl! it's embaressing, but i can't seem to help it. my GF thinks it's funny.

i'm looking for a good deal on a 250 street legal dirt bike in Chiang Mai if anyone has a lead?

Have any of you been on a long distance tour of Asia on your motorcycle?

I plan to purchase a new BMW motorcycle this summer. My idea is to travel through all of LOS, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Do any of you know any good web sites, books or resources where I can learn from others experience?

I know I can do an organized tour but I'm more of a solo guy and prefer to stay in hotels. Not the ride and camp sort.

I have 2 questions:

Since I plan to stay in hotels and guest houses does that mean I'll be on the main roads and therefore can get by well on a road touring model like the K 1200LT. (more like a lazy boy on wheels) Or will I need an adventure bike like the new BMW K 1200LT. If the trip goes well I think I'll try across India or China if possible.

Secondly, should I purchase the bike in the States and ship or buy the bike on Witthayu road at BMW Thailand? What are the tariffs like on an import? I can finance in the states but I have to pay cash in LOS. I am living in LOS so the bike may be here for another 4-5 years. If I ship how does the licenses work?

As you can see, I am in the preplanning stages. Any feedback would help. Thanks!

What kind of bikes are the rest of you riding?

On another note: I've been trying to get parts for my 900 here and can't find too much. I've got a friend in England that is bringing in a head for the bike but the full gasket set prices there are a bit stiff. Anyone know of a place where I can get some parts for this machine? Thanks for any help. :o

Kringle

I'm driving a Yamaha XJR 1200 and Suzuki Desperado, both bikes are in excellent condition. I used to drive them a lot but will now not drive more than approx. 15 km a day on one of them. I do not use the big XJR in Bangkok, we live approx. 25 km outside Bangkok where traffic is a bit more pleasant.

If you need second hand parts, check out the second hand parts department of the Red Baron, Sukapibaan 3. It's without doubt the largest second hand parts dealer in Bangkok, you can also order new. I'm sure they'll have what you need.

Cheers

Dutchy

Dutchy2, Thanks for the info and I'll check it out. Do you ever go on any big runs with any clubs?

Just heard from a shop that I know that the Thai government just passed a law that if a bike hasn't been registered for 3 years that you have to redo the whole thing and that will definitely be expensive. They used to charge a 20% of the rego fee for each missed year which would only be 120 baht instead of the reg. 100 baht. Gotta find out about this. Will let everyone know.

Have any of you been on a long distance tour of Asia on your motorcycle?

I plan to purchase a new BMW motorcycle this summer. My idea is to travel through all of LOS, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

jasonc, I hope you like paperwork.

In Europe I share with my brother:

1) CBR600 Honda, no registration nor plate, we use it only on tracks for pure fun. Cheap bike in term of parts and maintenance

2) Ducati 998 biposto year 2001 / red for everyday use

Here in Asia I'm looking for a Monster 900 Ducati, but prices for a 6-7 years old bike are like a new one in Europe!!!

..... so now you understand where is my nick coming from...... :o

Used to commute in London (UK) on a Zuki Bandit 600 - until I parked it in the back of a double decker at 60MPH on the Victoria Embankment. Got 3 weeks in London Hospital as a reward - and some bastard stole what was left of the bike!

Can't ride now - Have a wife induced lifetime ban! God I miss it!!!

Father-in-law has a 2 year old truck, but still likes to drive a fart-in-a-tin-can step through. Tit

I would not like to ride a bike in LOS. Would not feel safe without all the cowhide and kevlar...and too bl**dy hot to wear it. Air-con car or truch everytime; wife drives. I never drive in LOS (don't even bother with an international licence - or bribing the examiner for the answwers to the Thai driving test!).

The motorbike taxis can be fun though in BKK.

Used to ride a Suzuki Tempter GR 650 1983 (Quebec blue) back home until someone decided to turn at a gas station without looking in the mirror, I never touched the brakes. From 60 to zero, lucky the truck was on an angle and I had a full face helmet or I 'd be typing Stephen Hawking style today. 1st thing that met that pick up truck was my chin :o ... both mirrors were bent to shnit when they met the shoulders.

Police showed up,refused an ambulance, bla bla bla, no plate and all. Pushed the bike to my friends house down the street and they all were laughing when they saw me come around the corner... thought I had run out of gas. I was bleeding all over but was only scratches. The next day felt like I had taken on every single boxer at an evening at Lumpini stadium and i was leaving on tour with a band, I could not walk on my own all week, only thing I could do was stand and play bass, no pain there.

I still ride here in LOS, a Wave 125 (Quebec blue). Squeezed 125km/h out of it with my a55 on the back fender and feet on the back pegs . I want something bigger later on for sure.

Wear a helmet! :D

My months in the states, a 91 suzuki VX800, 460 lbs, tall & very narrow, 65 hp...a great v-twin bike; In LOS, a 125 auto honda, zip-point-squat hp. The taxes on the used suzi would be about what the honda costs new. PS: Kringle: email me...I can cost parts in colorado & drop them off next month,if you like. PS: I've read many references to "nuovo" scooters....do you mean Yamaha 125s? Or what?

Thaicoon, Thanks for bringing the parts for me and the beers are on me. :D Found a shop that'll do the work on the cylinders and the head for 3000 baht with me getting all the parts. Not too bad I think. As soon as I get this @#$%* computer working properly :D , I'll be able to spend some time on the bike.

Walker, I'll pm you and thanks for the offer, I'm going to need some help getting some things for sure. Wish it wasn't so hard to get things in this country. Seems like everyone in the gov. has there hand stuck out to get money out of you. :o

It's great to hear that some guys are still riding, even if it is small machines. I just don't like the bikes with no guts (scary). Do agree that riding in Bangers can be a little nuts but whenever or wherever you ride, you have to keep your head on straight. I slapped the he!! out of 50 last year and the misses isn't jumping with joy that I got this bike but she does know that it's about my only release and sees the joy I get from riding. :D

Keep em coming, I know there are a bunch of other guys out there riding.

Ride fast, think fast, it's a blast!

Kringle

Penzman, I know all to well about kissing cars when riding a bike. Had a lady do a left turn in front of me and I tboned her (not the right way). She was in a big Dodge surburban wagon and I was on a 69 MotoGuzi, total writeoff on the bike but I only lost about a 1/2 inch of a shoulder bone after the opp to try and fix it. Had another one when the front axel popped out and the bike did a real sudden stop and the knees hit the pavement first. Still paying for that one, knees hurt everyday. Still love to ride. :o

Do you ever go on any big runs with any clubs?

Yep, every now and then. Most riders are Thais though, my next tour will be a drive to Phuket, first week of August, only two big bikes though.

If you can send me your e-mail I'll ask my Thai friend to put you on the mailing list. He organizes a tour every couple of months, most drivers drive shoppers though of which I am not all too fond although I own one myself too.

Cheers

Dutchy