Opening An Account Without Work Permit

Hi guys,

I would like to open an account here but I don't have any work permit. Is there some of you who know where I can find a bank that fit my needs ??

I hope you could give me good advices.

nailu

Hi guys,

I would like to open an account here but I don't have any work permit. Is there some of you who know where I can find a bank that fit my needs ??

I hope you could give me good advices.

nailu

Hi,

You dont need a work permit to open a bank account.

We work with one bank that does not require a work permit if the foreigner is the Director of a company and the signature on the commercial savings account. They require only the tax Id and corp Id of the company.

In emergency we've even been able to get around this even for one client. Company had not even been officially registered let alone having a company ID or Tax ID. Only had the name reserved and they allowed the foreign director of the company to open a commercial account. (The only stipulation, they could not withdraw any money until after the company was registered and they had confirm the fact)

Thai Farmers Bank or Bangkok Bank on the other hand you need all paperwork including work permit to open a commercial business account.

www.sunbeltasia.com

"the more things change the more they stay the same"

I've got two accounts with the Bangkok Bank (Silom and in Chiangmai) and I ain't never had a work permit. Nothing other than a visa on arrival (at the time of opening the accounts)

I appreciate things change by the hour in the realm though. :o

"the more things change the more they stay the same"

I've got two accounts with the Bangkok Bank (Silom and in Chiangmai) and I ain't never had a work permit. Nothing other than a visa on arrival (at the time of opening the accounts)

I appreciate things change by the hour in the realm though. :o

Me too,I have an account with Bangkok Bank and was not asked for a work permit?

Some bank require workpermit before opening any kind of account for a foreigner such as Bangkok Bank.But some banks don't require workpermit for e.g. Siam Commercial Bank,Thai Farmers Bank and KrungThai bank

Bangkok Bank in Koh Samui didn't! :o On the application form i just put down my last job in the UK and knocked down my salary a bit. No problems. However, Thai Farmers in Samui are in with the 'Gestapo' Immigration. I was told by them that 330,000B could only last 3months in Thailand if i'm not working. Apparantely they like to pass on info about farangs to the 'Gestapo'. :D

W*****S!! :D

Me too,I have an account with Bangkok Bank and was not asked for a work permit?

My case as well. I opened one at a branch near the Central Bangna department store.

I ended up with a non-interest bearing account w/ an ATM card and I cannot rememeber right now if that was due to the lack of a work permit or just that I was in a hurry (I wanted a place to squirt a wire-transfer from overseas the next day). I assume farangs are allowed interest-bearing accounts here?

We work with one bank that does not require a work permit if the foreigner is the Director of a company and the signature on the commercial savings account. They require only the tax Id and corp Id of the company.

In emergency we've even been able to get around this even for one client. Company had not even been officially registered let alone having a company ID or Tax ID. Only had the name reserved and they allowed the foreign director of the company to open a commercial account. (The only stipulation, they could not withdraw any money until after the company was registered and they had confirm the fact)

Thai Farmers Bank or Bangkok Bank on the other hand you need all paperwork including work permit to open a commercial business account.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Whatever to retirees ( and others ) do to comply with banking requirements then ?

My experience;

I have a tourist visa and no work permit.

At Krung xxxx Bank they said no acct is possible without work permit.

At Bangkok Bank they said no checking acct, online banking or

safe deposit box without a work permit, BUT

they gave me a savings acct and an ATM/Debit card.

At Thai Farmers, now KasikornBank, they said about the same as Bangkok

Bank. I may open an acct there too just for backup.

FYI .......

:o

A while ago I walked into Bank Asia Samrong.

They couldn't have been more helpful I got the interest bearing savings account, The Visa Debit and Credit cards, and they even went and got some food. I found them totally helpful then. No Work permit or that rubbish just a Non "O" visa

I wonder if it had anything to do with the 5m Baht Deposit.... :o

A while ago I walked into Bank Asia Samrong.

They couldn't have been more helpful I got the interest bearing savings account, The Visa Debit and Credit cards, and they even went and got some food. I found them totally helpful then. No Work permit or that rubbish just a Non "O" visa

I wonder if it had anything to do with the 5m Baht Deposit.... :o

That amount would help somewhat. What was the interest rate that they gave you ?

Whatever to retirees ( and others ) do to comply with banking requirements then ?

I was talking about a business account (limited company) NOT a personal account.

A personal account by a foreigner and for the Bank asking for the work permit seems to be up to the individual branch.

www.sunbeltasia.com

sunbelt wrong again! why peope use these i dont know.

go to a bank were they speak english and open a savings account under the company name ( then dont have to pay large business fees)

no wp required just company registration and they will be happy to help you with any banking requirements you need.

try

bank of asia or kasikorn.

no wp required just company registration and they will be happy to help you with any banking requirements you need.

Three years ago when I was setting up Sunbelt Asia bank account and went to the Kasikorn bank near Fortune Town and the Bangkok Bank. Both asked for my work permit before they could open up a commercial savings account.

I've helped a number of people from Thai Visa (free by the way. Our staff was happy to help) that had problems opening up a bank account and the bank was asking for a work permit. Our staff went with them and introduced them to one of the branches we use and they had no problem then.

Guess it just depends on the branch.

www.sunbeltasia.com

:o First try went to Bank of Asia Nonthaburi Pier could have been speaking Pidgin or motu for all the help I received.

Then took bus 64 to Banglamphu:

Bank of Bangkok - Non Immg O - Could not do enough 4 me.

Kasikorn - Non IMmg O - Could not do enough 4 me.

So depends on staff and the location - Are they used to doing business with farangs.Mijan24 :D

Dear all,

Thank you for your help but it seems that it depends of the location of the bank and maybe the date you opened your account, coz bangkok bank told me that I couldn't open an account without working permit because the Thai national bank now forbid this.

It's very boring for me I still don't have any account and I have to go everywhere with my cash !! :o

I really need a bank to make a deposit and have an ATM card. Please give me the adress of a bank I could contact

Cheers :D

Nailu

Nailu

In my previous post I advised Banglamphu(poo) which is the backpackers haven Kao San Road area.

Bank of Bangkok about 500metres north of Koa San Road "back up the road that bus 64 comes down which is back up that main road over the klong (little bridge) approx 500 metres.

Kasikorn Bank - Banglamphu junction just after that little bridge over the klong facing south or towards Kao San Road turn left walk about 150 metres the bank is on the left hand side of the road go up to the first floor.

I am sure there are many more that will open an account for you if not the Thai Banks then try Citibank - HSCB.

Hope this helps

Mijan24 :o

Dear all,

Thank you for your help but it seems that it depends of the location of the bank and maybe the date you opened your account, coz bangkok bank told me that I couldn't open an account without working permit because the Thai national bank now forbid this.

It's very boring for me I still don't have any account and I have to go everywhere with my cash !! :o

I really need a bank to make a deposit and have an ATM card. Please give me the adress of a bank I could contact

Cheers :D

Nailu

If you're in Bangkok try Siam Commercial on Sukhumvit soi 21. I opened a savings account without workpermit and I get 1% interest or something on the account... Trouble free! They were very helpful when I opened it (personal account)

I also tried opening a business account for my company, but as my WP was not finished they told me to come back later with WP and a letter from the company saying I can open a business account (simply me writing an official company letter).

Cheers

Dear all,

It's very boring for me I still don't have any account and I have to go everywhere with my cash !!  :o

Cheers  :D

Nailu

If you're in Bangkok try Siam Commercial on Sukhumvit soi 21. I opened a savings account without workpermit and I get 1% interest or something on the account... Trouble free! They were very helpful when I opened it (personal account)

I also tried opening a business account for my company, but as my WP was not finished they told me to come back later with WP and a letter from the company saying I can open a business account (simply me writing an official company letter).

Cheers

Of course one can open a simple savings account at banks here. However. for God's sake, do the RETIREES manage to comply with the savings requirements for their visa's ?

Exactly. I was easily able to open an account at Bank of Asia with no work permit. I could not get a checking account, only a savings account, and there was a minimum deposit of 50,000Bt. I got an ATM card, a Visa debit card, and online banking.

I am sure there are many more that will open an account for you if not the Thai Banks then try Citibank - HSCB.

Hope this helps

Mijan24

My personal accounts are with HSBC. They've always given good service, but they've also always asked for a copy of my Work Permit so I guess that doesn't help you.

No idea about Citibank. Maybe the 'Thai' banks are less strict (ie. worried about being checked up on by the BoT) than the international ones?

Just a thought: I didn't catch whether you're planning to live and / or work here.

But......DO you need a local account? I can also use my UK ATM & credit cards in all local machines. The FX fee equates to about 125 baht so bearable (for me). I did this without bother for about 3 months when I first got here and was busy getting contracts and work permits and all the rest sorted out.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps

Mijan24

My personal accounts are with HSBC. They've always given good service, but they've also always asked for a copy of my Work Permit so I guess that doesn't help you.

No idea about Citibank. Maybe the 'Thai' banks are less strict (ie. worried about being checked up on by the BoT) than the international ones?

Just a thought: I didn't catch whether you're planning to live and / or work here.

But......DO you need a local account? I can also use my UK ATM & credit cards in all local machines. The FX fee equates to about 125 baht so bearable (for me). I did this without bother for about 3 months when I first got here and was busy getting contracts and work permits and all the rest sorted out.

Hope this helps.

Are you that ladyboy loving freak that I read about in the interview with Stickman? Interesting. Anyway, welcome to to forum.

Guess it just depends on the branch.

And the weather :D

OPening an account is up to the bank like it is in ANY country.

They are in it to make profit and if you come to Thailand for a few months holiday with cash (NAILU) and just want a safe haven for it with an ATM card you may struggle as you would in ANY country.

Plan to be here a few years, retire or whatever and you MAY find isolated problems but generally a visit to a few banks anywhere wil obtain an account.

IMO opinion it is a business decision by the institution involved.

Refused? Smile and move on :o

CT

I just opened a second savings account with a Chiang Mai branch of Bangkok Bank this morning. No questions asked, the appropriate photcopies of my front passport page taken, 250 baht paid for a Premier ATM card, and I was on my way in about ten minutes.

There was a short spell about three or four years ago where a work permit was required to open a bank account but this rule fell by the wayside after about fifteeen minutes. From grumblings that I have seen posted over the past few years, apparently word to the contrary regarding a required work permit did not get out to every bank branch across the Kingdom. :o

Hope this helps

Mijan24

Hope this helps.

Are you that ladyboy loving freak that I read about in the interview with Stickman? Interesting. Anyway, welcome to to forum.

Err.......no!

:o

Dammit......I'll have to think of a new login name now :D

I sent this to HSBC in BKK:

I will retiring to Thailand in September.

I need to open a bank account with B800,000 before I can apply for the retirement visa.

Can I open an account with HSBC on a US tourist visa?

What is the best way to start an account with you?

Thanks,

Just got this back from HSBC:

Dear Mr

Thank you for your e-mail today regarding your interest in opening an account with us. We would like to inform you that you can open an account with us with your tourist visa (along with other requirements). Please kindly visit our branch or open the Thailand account with other HSBC branch at your convenience.

For account opening, please see the following requirements:

1. Total relationship (aggregation of all deposits, investments and loan outstanding) of monthly average balance of THB500,000 or equivalent for general account balance and of THB3 million or equivalent for HSBC Premier account balance;

2. Certified true copy of passport or ID card;

3. Evidence of Contact Address:

For Thai citizen:

- Certified true copy of house registration certificate

For foreigner:

- Certified true copy of permanent residence certificate, such as electric bill, telephone bill, bank statement, driving license, local ID card, rental agreement, receipt of rental fee payment, and etceteras

4. Certified true copy of work permit (if available, the foreigner is eligible for resident accounts);

5. Recommendation letter:

For foreign currency account, from:

- HSBC Group, with at least one year of satisfactory relationship

For Thai Baht account, from:

- Any bank, with at least one year of satisfactory relationship, or

- Existing HSBC Bangkok customer with at least one year of satisfactory relationship, or

- Employer with an HSBC Bangkok corporate account

6. Completed application form at HSBC Bangkok branch at the address below with above requirements (example available in the website

http://www.hsbc.co.th )

We also attached the account details for your consideration on which type of account you wish as well as our tariff of charges:

Should you have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

- [email protected] ; or

- Personal Telephone Banking call centre +66 (0) 2614-4722, from Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm; or

- Visit us at our branch at the address below from Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 3:30pm.

Thank you once again for your interest in our products and services. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Personal Financial Services

HSBC Thailand

HSBC Building, 968 Rama IV Road, Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Then I got this 5 minutes later:

Dear Mr

Please kindly refer to the previous e-mail. There is a correction to be made, as the attachment specifies that the passport needs to have a non-tourist visa. We confirm that it needs not be a tourist visa (any certified true copy of passport would do for the category). We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

- [email protected] ; or

- Personal Telephone Banking call centre +66 (0) 2614-4722, from Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm; or

- Visit us at our branch at the address below from Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 3:30pm.

Thank you once again for your interest in our products and services. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Personal Financial Services

HSBC Thailand

HSBC Building, 968 Rama IV Road, Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Hope this helps.