Brit with Swiss driving licence needs to exchange for Thai (No UK one)

25 years I swapped my UK ([paper) driving licence for a Swiss one, and have used (and lived there) ever since. preparing to move to Thailand on a retirement visa, I called the Swiss drivers place thinking they had locked my licence away safely in a drawer for a quarter of a century.  Nope they had sent it off to the DVLC swansea without delay.

Called them, "Nah we shredded that. Like a new one? Come live in the Uk for 3-6 months and send us some utility bills." not possible.

SO what are my chances of exchanging my Swiss one (I could prove residency) for a Thai one - any one done this?

I would rather not take a test and would not definitely NOT want to use some sort of dodgy agent

I would appreciate prarttical advice (I will go to the Chiang Mai BLT ppleace) PLEASE no "you should have done this instead@ which is not really helpful.

Posted (edited)

As far as I'm aware, there should be no issues whatsoever.... 

Just show

- Existing Licence (swiss)

- Passport 

- Certificate of Address

- Medical Checkup Certificate

- Do the online Video (have a copy of the QR code from the video)

- Attend the DLT and go through the process (and classroom eye / reaction tests etc)

Also in Thailand, you don't 'do a swap' - they just give you a Thai Driving Licence and your Swiss one will remain valid and in your possession.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Also in Thailand, you don't 'do a swap' - they just give you a Thai Driving Licence and your Swiss one will remain valid and in your possession.

Excellent tank you for your prompt and helpful reply - I will try this out next week

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want be on the safe side, get yourself an International Driver licence from your local "Strassenverkehrsamt" or TCS if you are a member there. At least my credit card sized licence  has no english translation on it. However its 15 years old by now, maybe that changed. They want to see an english translation in Thailand. The International Driver licence will take care ot that. Additionally you can drive legally in Thailand with in for some month.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2024 at 2:47 PM, CHdiver said:

get yourself an International Driver licence from your local "Strassenverkehrsamt"

Excellent advice - thankyou. Aargau Strassenverhehrsamt sent me (free of charge!) an IDL that took approx two weeks to get here, used it in the DLT with absolutely no problems