What's The Point Of Serviced Apartments?

I'm looking for an apartment and I keep seeing these serviced apartments advertized.

What's the added value of the inflated prices? The serviced part means someone comes in and cleans? Well, I'd pay an extra 500 baht for that.

I see plenty of regular apartments have pools and unless the place has a world class fitness center, I'd rather just go to a regular gym, which is pretty cheap here anyway. Having a good gym wouldn't be worth paying more than 1,500 baht or so.

I can't think of many services I need from an apartment. Are these just a form of long term hotel?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's much reason to consider one over a regualr apartment or condo.

yes, they are rather for shorter stays, often for tourists or businessmen.

if you are planning a longer stay and know whereabouts than renting an ordinary appartment, condo or house will safe you money.

Area doesn't matter too much because I don't know the areas well. I'd like to be within 5 or ten minutes walking distance of Skytrain, possibly subway. I'd like some restaurants and stuff around but if I'm near Skytrain, that doesn't matter much.

Willing to spend between 5,000 and 40,000 but I'd like something relatively nice and under 20,000. There are actually some places between 7,000 and 12,000 I'm looking at.

People have different feelings about different areas. Also, at your price range you have lots of options.

I've lived in Thonglor (bts), which I liked. Often pricy, but has the better quality bars, restaurants, supermarkets..

Onnut (bts) is a bit boring and a bit far out (lots of traffic nowadays with the BTS extention) but many people like it. It's cheaper.

PhraKanong (bts) has good local food and markets, it's cheap too. A bit Thai...(?)

I'm moving to the other side of the river now (Thonburi), which many people say is better, but maybe you need to live here for a couple of years first.

If I was doing it all again then I'd probably start out in Asok. It has a bts and the underground, as well as being pretty close to everywhere.

No doubt others will disagree...

Good luck.

I'd also prefer a bit of space and possibly a kitchen to location. I'd like something closer to 50 sqm than the 30 sqm meter shacks. I'll be living and working there.

Basically, I'd like to have a bit of space to relax in when I'm at home. It would be nice if I could cook something when I'm going to watch a movie at home. If I want to go out during the day to movies, shopping or whatever, Skytrain is ok. If I want to go out and have fun at night, 200 baht taxi ride home won't bother me.

Asok seems like a good area but seems like I might have to pay twice the price as I would some place a bit further out.

I'm looking for an apartment and I keep seeing these serviced apartments advertized.

What's the added value of the inflated prices? The serviced part means someone comes in and cleans? Well, I'd pay an extra 500 baht for that.

I see plenty of regular apartments have pools and unless the place has a world class fitness center, I'd rather just go to a regular gym, which is pretty cheap here anyway. Having a good gym wouldn't be worth paying more than 1,500 baht or so.

I can't think of many services I need from an apartment. Are these just a form of long term hotel?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's much reason to consider one over a regualr apartment or condo.

I think it's to do mainly with length of stay. If only for 3 or 6 months (or maybe more?) some folk don't want the hassle of equiping an Apartment from scratch and then trying and sell / store / walk away from stuff, plus the aggro of finding and employing a maid - even if it was cheaper overall. Conveniance sells.

Plus you get a chance to find your feet in BKK with option to easily relocate rather than guessing at an apartment area via the internet.

I guess it is one of those things that are each to their own tastes / budget / laziness :o

I recall reading that Serviced Apartments fall into a higher tax bracket than simple letting - may well explain part of the higher rate, plus having to take into account unoccupancy.

• 3 weeks later...

Good day,

I go to BKK every year for 2 months, and the best deal is to rent a serviced apartment. No hassle.

I usually live around Shukumvit soi 10, where I am close to everything..

I pay around 70K baht per month for a luxery serviced apratment, 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 90 sq m.

alain_qc

that's 5-10 times over the budget of the OP - and for that money you can get a luxurious villa with a swimming pool.

it's fine for a holiday and when you have foreign wages - but it will be very hard to afford it working in thailand

A basic apartment rent may have furniture, but not bedding, towels

and all those bits you need in the kitchen.

A serviced apartment should have all these features, which makes them much

convenient for short term or holiday rentals

That is what you pay the extra for!

i usally stay 30 to 90 days and stay at the Ratchada city hotel , I get the Thai price as i have my thai wife meet me there . Nice close to subway 5 min walk i think i paid 18000 balt a month of nice room

on internet a little more but you can adjust the price when you chreck in

did u ever find anything u liked? Im looking for something similar to you. Victory monument area, specifically soi rangnam has 4-5 places like this and the area is really nice

vp tower

victory tower

baan rangnam

pt court

several more, cant think of the names call if you need more info on victory or if you have anything I might be interested in that you found.

Larry 0856630080