Best Video Game Ever?

garro

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will put another vote in for Goldeneye on the N64, great game, which was great fun and certainly has alot of nostalgic value, but very few games have captured my attention like WoW and the Rainbow Six series (despite all of the glitches etc).

As for racing I prefer the arcade racer Midnight Club 2 by Rockstar (of GTA fame), but GT on the playstation was great too.

Donkey Kong, Octopus, Galaga, 1942, Super Mario, Solitaire, Road Rash, Age of Empires, Rise of Nations

:o:D:D

The only game I ever play on the PS3 is Tiger Woods 2008 (I only just finished 2004, but somehow skipped 4 years).

I keep trying (and spending money) on these games like CoD, but I have a very low patience threshold, and once I get stuck on a level I will never play the game again. These kind of games not only cost me the price of a game, but the price of a new controller, and sometimes a window/ vase/ (insert anything valuable here).

I gotta hold my hands up to being a gaming nut nut...I love em :o

when I start one I gotta finish it..unless its totally crap of course..

been through all of the Unreal,half life,tomb raider,quake,myst series...liked Morrowind,medal of honour and too many others to list...

But....my all time favorite game is Homeworld...story...playability...and the music...simply awesome....!!

I still remember the emotional response I had because of the music in Homeworld when you come back from the training mission and find your home planet destroyed.

Fav games for me:

Civilisation series

Final Fantasy VII

Planescape: Torment

Fallout 1 & 2

Call of Duty 1,2 & 4

Silent Hill 1 & 2

Far Cry

Half Life

Elite (on the BBC - how he got that all into 32k I will never know!)

Doom - when it first came out it was amazing, especially the sound effects of the demons breathing around corners

Hearts of Iron 1 & 2

Baldurs Gate series

Resident Evil 2 & 3

Theyreallrubbish....did you ever play Homeworld online..??..up until a couple of months ago the servers were still working..not sure about now though...if you still play it I'd love to do "battle" with you :-)

Populous and undiscovered worlds was another "play to death" game I couldn't put down...still got the cd's

If anyone has an original Unreal copy,I would love to play it again....or a source to buy it..

Into Tiger Woods 2008 at the mo

B lucky all an happy gaming

Froggs

This thread made me realise I've been playing video games for more then 30 years!

Some of my faves were:

Atari 2600:

Space Invaders

BBC Micro:

Chuckie Egg

Elite

Megadrive:

Mickey Mouse:Castle Of Illusion

SNES:

Zelda:Link to the Past

Super Metroid

Atari ST/Amiga

Carrier Command

Captive

Pre-3d Card PC:

Wing Commander

Ultima Underworld

PS1:

Ridge Racer

Metal Gear Solid

PS2:

Ratchet & Clank

Dark Cloud 2

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime

Eternal Darkness

Xbox:

Halo

Oddworld: Strangers Wrath

Xbox360:

Gears Of War

Oblivion

Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy

Metroid Prime: Corruption

PS3:

Ratchet & Clank

Uncharted

Post 3d Card PC:

Half Life 2

Crysis

World Of Warcraft

Edited by Ian_B

I finished Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 last night. It won't make it onto my top games list but it was very good. It seemed to end rather abrubtly though.

I started 'Mass Effect' last night. It looks promising.

Graphically the BBC Micro was brilliant in its day. I remember 'Frak' and 'Strikers Run'. Great graphics.

Who can forget Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2! Steathily sneaking up on dudes, snapping their necks, hiding in lockers, shooting up the scenery and exploding fire extinguishers to kill opponents. For pure graphical WOW!! and advanced gameplay it was miles ahead of its time and spawned a thousand copies. It could be argued the likes of Splinter Cell, COD, Rainbow Six series and every other military/stealth game owe their existence to this groundbreaker.

Also Donkey Kong Country and Starfox. They truly took their genres that next step forward.

As for driving games- Ridge Racer took powersliding to the next step and was truly fun to play

oh..Turbo Esprit on the ZX spectrum almost like an early day GTA... (Combat lynx and Tomahawk) oh the days of zx spectrum gaming.

TurboEsprit.gif

I will always remember the copy protection on Tomahawk where u had to hold up a bit of plastic against a symbol on the screen and type the letters......so frustrating....

tomahawk.png

and combat lynx:

yr10_61a.gif

The days when u still had to use your imagination a bit while gaming :o

And for all those ex UK ZX Spectrum gamers CRASH magazine online.....memory lane.

Crash Online

Edited by dekka007

-Golden Eye 007 (Nintendo 64)

-a special dedicace to Duke Nukem (on PC Windows... old stuff, it was a great shoot multiplayers game, on the network after.... work)

-and far away in my memory : Boulder Dash, Prince of Persia on... COMMODORE 64.

:o

Boulder Dash and Boulder Dash: Rockford's Riot on the Commodore 64 would both be hard to beat!

My favorite game of all time is Final Fantasy 3/6 (in was called 3 in Canada, but 6 in Asia). In the 'worst videogame thread, I listed Final Fantasy 8, as I just was so utterly disappointed... I might begin to weep again.

BFD!

The classics, which I still install and play a couple of times a year:

X-Com 1 (Ufo: Enemy unknown)

Colonization

Jagged Alliance 2

Settlers 2

Recent:

Total War-series blew my mind. Strategy AND top-down tactics beautifully integrated. Many, many hours wasted..no..INVESTED in front of the computer (who knows when information regarding best use of cavalry against barbarians may be useful).

Cuban: type IDKFA before leaving the house, and see who dares shoot at you when youre flashing the BFG9000 :-)

Edited by paal349

Pole Position

Pitfall-- Atari 2600

Donkey Kong--Colecovision

Dig Dug

Tempest

Centipede

Super Mario Brothers--Nintendo

Galaxian

Age of Empires Series

Trainz Simulator 2006

Microsoft Train Simulator Series

Microsoft Flight Simulator Series

Sim City 3000 Unlimited

Electronic Arts Golf--Sega Genesis

Road Rash2--Sega Genesis

• 1 month later...

OK well these that i mention ARE not the best ever but they sure were fun - at the time - I had Dungeons and Dragons on my Intellevision console as well as Pitfall! The Intellevision game console is the only one I have ever had and i didn't get into games again until Diablo 2, Civilization 3 and World of Warcraft for PC.

As far as most addictive game - World of Warcraft and a close second being Solitaire - LOL

Any of you kids heard of Mame32? (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) A nifty programme that allows to relive some of these classics from yesteryear... Fantastic fun!

I bought a cd called Emulatorz

Atari 2600 + 500 games

Sega Genesis +games

Nintendo (original) +games

and a bunch of emulators +games for other systems

I downloaded MAME, its like a emulator that plays the arcade version of games, computer geeks need the actual arcade machine and they download it from the actual big box thing and its exactly the same as playing real thing. It even says insert coin at the begining and you have keys on the keyboard to put coins in and to press start.

The nintendo 64 emulator is the best, download project 64 which is the name of the emulator, i think version 1.6 is the best. Then you need to download the roms (games)

The emulators I have are

MAME

Sega mastersystem

Sega megadrive (gensis)

Nintendo

Super Nintendo

N64

commodore 64

Amiga 500/600

I have been playing GTA IV for a few days now. I was really looking forward to it, and for some it had, or has, the potential to be a contender for ‘best game ever’. As it is I am a little disappointed. It seems a little sterile compared to the past GTA games. Maybe I need to give it more time.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm quite surprised that nobody has mentioned MYST. easy to play and great music. for me it was difficult to get thru it, but not quite so difficult so's you'd want to quit. (although i had to peek in a game solving book just once 'cause i was stuck.) if you've enver played it, pick up a copy, it will have been in the bargain bins for years now, i think it first came out in the early nineties.

all in all, a brilliant game.

honourable mention to "return to castle wolfenstein" and "duke nukem'"