Thai Wife To Buy Land

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it and don't go hire a lawyer. It could be a problem for the official but certainly not for you and the wife.

Si Nam

My wife(Thai) bought some land in Thailand last year.

When she went to the Amphur to change to her details on the Chanote they saw from her id card that she was married to a farang.

Guy who did the transfers couldnt be bothered to see me and go through the neccessary paperwork that I had to sign and did the chanote in her name anyway! TIT.

Guess I have a claim to some Thai soil after all?

Actually, what it probably means is the transfer was illegal and can be declared either null and void (meaning you have no claim to the land at all), or else a complaint could mandate a court ordered immediate sale (meaning you'll have to pay taxes again to "sell" the land to your wife). I would consult a lawyer if I were you. Not sure if it's really a problem or not, but I wouldn't risk it. Generally it is best to make sure the law is followed, even if it isn't convenient for the government official. It's for your own protection.

Went to the Land office this morning, quite interesting, I'd love to go into detail, but Won't as this can be a dangerous place , suffice to say I paid the amount I expected. Signed the form, The rest of it was just how you would expect from Thailand. The Land office is probably not the best place to find upstanding honest Citizens. Enough said.