Chinese Food

LostInBKK

Has anyone found western style Chinese food around BKK?

I'm looking for General Tso's chicken, combination (or any) Lo Mein, and Chinese style combination fried rice (I just don't like the taste of thai fried rice....conditioning I guess)

I'm headed back to the states to deploy to Iraq again....I guess I can get my fix there, but that's still a few weeks away.

On the corner of Soi Lang Suan and Sarasin Rds (near Lumphini Park) is the best Chinese food in Thailand (can't remember the name), they specialize in seafood, however they do absolutely any dish you like. Tastes very much like you get in Melbourne ,Australia..

On the corner of Soi Lang Suan and Sarasin Rds (near Lumphini Park) is the best Chinese food in Thailand (can't remember the name), they specialize in seafood, however they do absolutely any dish you like. Tastes very much like you get in Melbourne ,Australia..

Having had a few very poor Chinese meals in Melbourne, that's in no way a glowing recommendation.

In fact, I would go so far as to say some of the worst Chinese food I have ever had was in Australia.

You're the first one i met that has that opinion. So the percentages are still in favor of.. :o

Check out the Jasmine Restaurant, 4th floor, Times Square. Sukhumvit, near Asoke Station.

No "American style Chinese" food in Thailand.......or in China. However, I did find Kung Pao Chicken in China and it was unbelievably delicious. I have never found Lemon Chicken or Moo Goo Gai Pan or Orange Chicken/Beef, etc., in Thailand or China.

I think Chinese immigrants came to the USA (San Francisco) and started making food for Americans.......but it was too strange for them, so smart Chinese cooks started altering traditional recipes for American tastes. It worked......now we love it. But they just don't do it in Asia.

Over the past seven years, I have told many Thais to start a American-style Chinese restaurant in Thailand and make huge money........but, as usual, they refuse to listen. I would love to be able to go to a Chinese buffet like back home.

They have pretty good lemon chicken, sweet sour pork, and a lot of other "american style" chinese food at Tidbit Treasures restaurant, at the top floor of Siam Discovery Center, at very good prices. Also the cheapest Peking Duck at 400 baht for a whole duck served 3 ways... crispy skin with wrapper, duck meat in garlic and chilli, and duck meat soup.

Not the "best", but quite okay. :o

There's a very well known (but the name slips me now) pretty good Hong Kong style restaurant inside a small side soi of Thaniya (the Japanese soi), off Silom/Suriwongse. They have valet parking or you can self park in the parking garage at the end of the soi.

I ate there a couple years ago for lunch was very good. Not too cheap.

Many years ago, when Farang Expatriates first began to come to Thailand to live and work here, they brought with them a style of cooking from the old Western enclaves in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macao, along with the cooks who had developed this Westernised form of Chinese cooking.

The cooks, I believe, came from Hainan.

There are still some very old Restaurants in Bangkok which serve this type of cuisine, the oldest is probably Ming Lee near the Grand Palace, a favourite place with the Government officials who work in that area (the story goes that it was compulsorily closed during one of the BMA’s “crackdowns” on unhygienic restaurants but was quickly re-opened after very senior staff at various Government Departments complained vociferously).

Don’t bother going there unless you are with someone who is a regular however – the place is run by a couple of very surly Chinese sisters who will insist that every table is “reserved” when an unknown guest tries to sit down.

One other place which is rather more welcoming is Silom Pattakarn, at the end of Soi 15, Silom Road which serves some really interesting, and delicious, items such as Ox Tongue Stew, Pork Chop, Beef Salad and Chicken Curry - which believe it or not is a favourite of Thais who go there when eaten with very soft bread.

They also have their own unique type of sauce rather like Worcestershire sauce.

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but certainly a different aspect of Chinese cooking in Thailand.

Patrick

i know exactly what the op is asking for. it does exist here.

in fact its just like the chinese food in the states because its run by an american/thai who used to run a restaraunt in las vegas or somewhere.

proof? they even have 'crab rangoons!' never seen those outside the states.

Cathay House in the sindhorn bldg across from the US embassy.

not everything is that great but it is the US chinese food. the mongolian beef is quite good.

There is good hong kong style chinese food at SEAFOOD TOWN on Soi 24. It is opposite the Emporum entrance on Soi 24 near Sukhumvit. Phorm Pong BTS station is very close by.

Hong Kong is in the west? :o

Edited by jEFFREYk44

Guan Ah (Hainan food) on North Sathorn Road. Just about 200-300 meters across from Lumpini subway. Very yummy tradition Hainan food, the famous Khao Man Kai with Kai Tawn (big sumptous steamed chicken) are totally yummy. Sukiyaki, stir-fried glass noodle with seafood, Fried big noodle with fish in soya sauce, and many more. The fence around the restaurant and the building are painted blue, cleary visible.

In Melbourne, I like Rose Garden restaurant on Elizabeth St. Szechuan soup, fried rice and super big deep fried spring roll are really good.