Gym etiquette in LOS(CNX).

I have belonged to a cheap, medium cost and currently work out at higher cost gym.  I pay 1700 Baht per month and the gym is well equipped with modern fitness machines, a sauna and steam room. At my current gym the ratio of Thai's to foreigners is almost 70/30.  Just about every Thai member has their cell phone with them when they are on the gym floor.  It seems like many are more focused on their phones then actually working out.  Granted many foreigner members have their phones as well but most seem to play music that they hear on headphones. I keep my phone in the locker. I  often see Thai members sitting on gym equipment for as long as 15 minutes just perusing their phone.  I have noticed because I would like to actually use the same machine. Some Thai members (mostly young girls) come in , look at themselves in the mirror, take a few selfies and then leave. Most of the foreign members actually use the gym equipment and like myself actually carry a sweat towel because we actually sweat.  Rarely have I seen a Thai member carry a sweat towel because most do not sweat even when they are in the gym. I have seen similar behavior at the lower end gyms as well. 

I am not Mr Atlas nor Mr Fitness but I  pay for a gym membership to actually work out.  I do not understand why so many Thai people pay 1700 Baht per month and spend most of their time on their phones?  

I do not undestand this type of gym behavior by so many Thai members.