Pattayas Iconic Secret Beach Strewn with Trash

webfact

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Took a drive out into the cassava fields nearby (to release a snake I was relocating), must have passed 3 or 4 dumping piles of garbage in the fields by the dirt road. Thais have no respect for their own country......

Agreed. Same in Hua Hin, there is one soi, near 94, that has an abandoned condo building on it. The soi is about half a kilometre long and is so full of rubbish, from old toilets, kitchens, etc to mattresses that it is only passable by one vehicle at a time in places. Looks worse than the municipal tip.:saai:

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Had a friend come visit earlier this year, after touring around for a week his only comment was "what a mess" 

I doubt my sanity of living here sometimes, often when I drive out of my home into the littered streets nearby, that have dozens of scabby, sad looking stray dogs about. The joy of trying to hose away the big pile one had left at my gate still in my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Why can't the Municipalities pay for beach cleaners, as they do road cleaners, they can go to different beaches daily, or get 'safe' prisoners to do it on a Regular basis not just as one offs. I know in the UK they Employ students in the summer breaks to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Had a friend come visit earlier this year, after touring around for a week his only comment was "what a mess" 

I've been to beaches around the world and no beach in Thailand has impressed me in the least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

I've been to beaches around the world and no beach in Thailand has impressed me in the least.

It wasn't just the beaches, it was the streets, the roads, the blackened concrete structures, rubbish and general debris...

He asked me, "do Thais really live like this every day"?

3 hours ago, connda said:

I always love pulling these out, on the outside chance they'll be seen by someone with budget enough to buy beach cleaners.  And to shame the cities that don't bother.  Especially the ones that make their money on tourism, both foreign and domestic. 

And I love Songkhla town and Samila Beach...  Shameless plug.

SKLBeach03.jpg.e331dc81967e466b6372e0613a414e52.jpg

SKLBeachCleaner2.jpg.b4eb0822fecdb7613c30488af6dc6aca.jpg

The bottom photo is right after a storm blew through.  If you know Samila beach, that's why the water's roiled.  They were right on top of it.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

.......tarnishing the beach’s appeal, which was previously popular among both Thai and international visitors for its clear waters and proximity to nearby hotels and condos.

That secret huh. No wonder I never found it.

• Haha 1

This rubbish will all have come from Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia.......Baloo needs to initiate some cross border discussions to prevent this (and their smoke) drifting over to Thailand......none....or at least very little of this filth..... will be from Thailand.

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2024 at 6:06 AM, jacko45k said:

Took a drive out into the cassava fields nearby (to release a snake I was relocating), must have passed 3 or 4 dumping piles of garbage in the fields by the dirt road. Thais have no respect for their own country......

Fly tipping and littering is part of the culture.

On 8/10/2024 at 3:16 AM, webfact said:

prompting nearby residents to call for immediate action from authorities.

What Action do they want?

It's the People that  Trow  the rubbish were they stand  .

Get a Squad together   get them to place some Big  Rubbish  bins .

Then  Book them and Force them to clean/pick up their rubbish. 

Yes I know , it's Not going to happen  .

Same as Corruption People are Born and bred into it.

17 hours ago, actonion said:

Any empty Land, like a Beach, a Football field, is a  Garbage can to a Thai

You should have seen it after the last fireworks competition.

Nothing new here, I used to pick up trash on this beach every week when I lived in the area 6 years ago.   The locals couldn't care less! 

On 8/15/2024 at 5:58 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes, although that specializes in littering up and clogging waterways. 

Did'nt know that........ that  would account for why Mabrachan Lake was full for crap