New Ferry Service - Pattaya to Koh Chang

kwilco

I apparently Boonsiri have started a foot passenger service between Koh Chang and Pattaya.

I can't find any information about this out =side a commercial time table - I would have thought the local media would have had at least a footnote about this. 

Is this a problem with search engines, have they simply not announced the new service to the media? or is it just an urban myth?

https://www.directferries.co.uk/pattaya_koh_chang_ferry.htm

Anyone got any info on this?

• Haha 2

I've seen the usual sites and know that the ferry service normally is bus/ferry - but this appears to be a new service - Although i\'m now thinking maybe not as like me, no-one can find any info to the contrary

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I've seen the usual sites and know that the ferry service normally is bus/ferry - but this appears to be a new service - Although i\'m now thinking maybe not as like me, no-one can find any info to the contrary

i had a look at the ferry website and it showed a map of an overland route to Trat then a ferry to Koh Chang, but who knows website could be old

Other than the 4 hour holiday weekend queue for the car ferry (each way), I enjoyed Koh Chang.  But I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it had I not been in my pickup with my kayak strapped to the top?  I drove as far as I could drive on roads from the SE side of the island where I stayed, to the SW side of the island where my knuckles turned white from the winding road, switchbacks, and dodging drivers passing on blind curves.  But I don't recall any concentration of sites to see and things to do, especially around the ferry landing. 

I'm wide open to the possibility there's plenty I missed, paying attention to the roads.  Can anyone comment on Koh Chang as an unmotorized destination?  Worth a week?  A month?

Edit:  I guess I should add that I'm not the scooter renting type.  No motorcycle license and no death wish.  Though I do take a lot of local motosai taxis because they're pros and know how to ride with the flow, unlike me.  But not for journeys more than a few clicks, or open road at speed.

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm wide open to the possibility there's plenty I missed paying attention the the roads.  Can anyone comment on Koh Chang as an unmotorized destination?  Worth a week?  A month?

Nope, you are right, it is preferable to have your own car. There is a songthaew service, that goes as far as Bang bao (West) and Salak Pethe (East), but that's for the young and fit. Driving is no issue, but I used to live in the Alps and was a keen skier.

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/booking_redirect_df.aspx?stdc=DF10&grid=0&rfid=6882&psgr=2&curr=1&retn=true&rfidr=6883

boonsiri_high_speed_ferries_s.png
Boonsiri High Speed Ferries

Pattaya
08:30
Koh Chang
14:00

Koh Chang
10:00
Pattaya
16:00

£43.60 Per Person

FerryKohChang.jpg

I couldn't see Koh Chang on that website, but did see Koh Kood.

This statement appears on the info.

Please Note: this journey comprises 2 parts, by bus between Pattayah and Trat, and by ferry between Trat and Koh Kood. The cost of the bus ticket is included in your booking.

https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/booking_redirect_df.aspx?stdc=DF10&grid=0&rfid=4231&psgr=2&curr=1&retn=true&rfidr=4232&outd=2024-08-15&outt=9&retd=2024-08-18&rett=17&exp-dealfinderVersion=A&dfusrpid=dadd38e8-62bc-4910-bf48-bf32f505a947

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Espanol said:

https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/booking_redirect_df.aspx?stdc=DF10&grid=0&rfid=6882&psgr=2&curr=1&retn=true&rfidr=6883

boonsiri_high_speed_ferries_s.png
Boonsiri High Speed Ferries

Pattaya
08:30
Koh Chang
14:00

Koh Chang
10:00
Pattaya
16:00

£43.60 Per Person

FerryKohChang.jpg

tes - saw that, but I can't find any evidence of it elsewhere - no-oe has used it and there is no publicity - only on direct ferries!?!?!?!

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Other than the 4 hour holiday weekend queue for the car ferry (each way), I enjoyed Koh Chang.  But I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it had I not been in my pickup with my kayak strapped to the top?  I drove as far as I could drive on roads from the SE side of the island where I stayed, to the SW side of the island where my knuckles turned white from the winding road, switchbacks, and dodging drivers passing on blind curves.  But I don't recall any concentration of sites to see and things to do, especially around the ferry landing. 

I'm wide open to the possibility there's plenty I missed, paying attention to the roads.  Can anyone comment on Koh Chang as an unmotorized destination?  Worth a week?  A month?

Edit:  I guess I should add that I'm not the scooter renting type.  No motorcycle license and no death wish.  Though I do take a lot of local motosai taxis because they're pros and know how to ride with the flow, unlike me.  But not for journeys more than a few clicks, or open road at speed.

I have never visited KC without transport (or my kayaks) since 2004. Te road layout there really distates the need for a car.....however one could take the boat and rent - if the boat exists!!.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah and you've been told a few times it doesn't exist

I don't think you appreciate how to analyse the quality of the information.

Who says it doesn't exist?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah and you've been told a few times it doesn't exist

Probably the usual minibus pick up from your hotel and overland to the Ferry Terminal in Trat. The ones where you pay 100b for the Ferry ticket that actually costs 30 baht. (Two decades plus and I am still sore about it!😄)

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Probably the usual minibus pick up from your hotel and overland to the Ferry Terminal in Trat. The ones where you pay 100b for the Ferry ticket that actually costs 30 baht. (Two decades plus and I am still sore about it!😄)

Yeah i think i paid 40 baht for the ferry a few months ago

Ferry from Pattaya to Koh Chang

You need to check the web site.....

On average there are 6 weekly sailings between Pattaya to Koh Chang. This ferry route is operated by Boonsiri High Speed Ferries. Pattaya Koh Chang ferries cost between £41 and £149, depending on ticket details. Prices exclude any service fees. Ferry timetables change seasonally use our Deal Finder to get live pricing and availability for Pattaya Koh Chang ferries.

2 hours ago, marin said:

I just did for 14 August and then again in September, you need to believe what you have been reading. 

Screenshot 2024-08-13 134556.png

Screenshot 2024-08-13 134632.png

Don't see that says anything?

If you are referring to boat/bus - this has been running for decades - the service on direct ferries infers a sea only journey - admittedly it's contentious, but telling us about another service doesn't negate the existance of the one in the OP. 

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

If you are referring to boat/bus - this has been running for decades - the service on direct ferries infers a sea only journey - admittedly it's contentious, but telling us about another service doesn't negate the existance of the one in the OP. 

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

On average there are 6 weekly sailings between Pattaya to Koh Chang. This ferry route is operated by Boonsiri High Speed Ferries. Pattaya Koh Chang ferries cost between £41 and £149, depending on ticket details. Prices exclude any service fees. Ferry timetables change seasonally use our Deal Finder to get live pricing and availability for Pattaya Koh Chang ferries.

What the heck, you posted about Boonsiri High Speed Ferries from Pattaya/Koh Chang.  

I went to the site. Tried booking everyday for a month. It would definitely seem this service does not exist. 

• Agree 1

It seems Direct ferries are advertising something that doesn't exist. THis statement from Boonsiri Feries.

"Greetings from Boonsiri High Speed Ferries Co. Ltd.!

Pattaya to koh chang is by bus and boat 
Boat depart at Ao tammachat pier to Ao sapparot pier"THis raises concerns about Direct ferries who are advertising something that apparently doesn't exist - so let's hope nobody sheds out any money to them....for any services.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

It seems Direct ferries are advertising something that doesn't exist. THis statement from Boonsiri Feries.

"Greetings from Boonsiri High Speed Ferries Co. Ltd.!

Pattaya to koh chang is by bus and boat 
Boat depart at Ao tammachat pier to Ao sapparot pier"THis raises concerns about Direct ferries who are advertising something that apparently doesn't exist - so let's hope nobody sheds out any money to them....for any services.

You were told that way back, slow learner

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You were told that way back, slow learner

Read the OP - which apparently you never bothered to do I was hoping to get information of some well-informed educated expats especially someone in Pattaya but.... - You really haven't got a clue, have you? I wanted proper evidence - you failed to do that every step of the way - you're like someone who bets and wins on the Grand National and then claims to be an expert on horses!!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

kwilco

Their aint no boat ferry from Pattaya to Ko Chang...never has been and probably never will....but you were told that quite some time ago.....listen to what more educated folk on here try telling you....:whistling:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, petermik said:

kwilco

Their aint no boat ferry from Pattaya to Ko Chang...never has been and probably never will....but you were told that quite some time ago.....listen to what more educated folk on here try telling you....:whistling:

Yes there was an d you like so many don't understand the word "evidence' - you are obviously a member of the 'if-i-can't-see-it-it-isn;t-there" brigade - or head in the sand school of thought.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

The only ferry service from Pattaya is to the nearby "koh Larn"...there have been a number of failed attempts at other services over the years...the last failed attempt is now attempting a "new" service from Bangkok ...there is a member of this forum who's name escapes my memory involved with this company he might have more information.