Route From Bkk To Chiang Mai

Rob1

I am moving from Phuket to Chiang Mai I know the way to BKK but would be gratefull if someone can tell me the route from BKK to Chiang Mai and aprox how many hours.

Thks :o

Do you need to go to Bangkok? It's not on the way.

I am moving from Phuket to Chiang Mai I know the way to BKK but would be gratefull if someone can tell me the route from BKK to Chiang Mai and aprox how many hours.

Hi

No I want to go direct to CM if possible?

Hi

No I need the quickest route to CM from Phuket

Thks

Hi

No I want to go direct to CM if possible?

Petchburi, Nakhon Pathom, Kampaeng Saen, Suphanburi, Chainat, Nakhon Sawan is a pretty good road all the way and misses Bangkok. 4 lane highway all the way to Chiangmai except for a little bit in the Nakhon Pathom - Kampaeng Saen stretch.

You might want to by-pass Bangkok by taking the circumferential road (West Ring Road). You can catch this from the Thonburi-Paktho highway that runs from Pecthburi through Samuk Songkram/Samut Sakhon to Thonburi. A few kilometers before the eastern end of this highway is an interchange that by-passes Bangkok. You end up a few kilometers short of Ayuthaya somewhere near the Bangkok to Saraburi highway.

Take the road going to Nakhon Sawan. A few kilometers before Nakhon Sawan is another by-pass to the left towards Kampheng Phet and Tak provinces. That will be a divided highway all the way to Lampang and Chiang Mai.

Bangkok to Chiang Mai should take you about 7 to 9 hours. Wonderful road all the way.

Might want to drop by at Khampheng Phet historical park which reminds me of Ankor Wat.

Travel safely.

Yep, defo miss Bangers and take the Suphanburi road... nice and quiet and easy drivin', relatively. Did Phuket-CM in one back in April as couldn't be assed to stop over - 19 hours :o

/ 19.5 sorry. The motosai, mountain bike, microwave and loads of other crap on the back slowed me down somewhat :D //

Edited by jackr

Yep, defo miss Bangers and take the Suphanburi road... nice and quiet and easy drivin', relatively. Did Phuket-CM in one back in April as couldn't be assed to stop over - 19 hours :o

If you want to make it a two day trip, Hua Hin or Cha-am are about half way with lots of good places to stay.

If you want to make it a two day trip, Hua Hin or Cha-am are about half way with lots of good places to stay.

Sure is. Have done that several times I may add, but this time just wanted to get home :D

I've made the trip four times now and use the route described in the earlier post - avoid Bangkok at all cost else it will cost you a lot of time. I usually stop in Cha Am overnight to break the trip but if you do that avoid being there on Friday or Saturday night when hotel rates soar because of weekenders from Bangkok. Have also done it not stop leaving Phuket at 07:00 arriving Cha Am by 3:00pm and then onto Chiang Mai arriving around 01:00am. I don't recommend the latter since it is hard work. Best tip I can provide if you don't know the way is to follow road numbers and not place names since constructions zones along the way make the trip confusing. Alternatively you can rent my wife as a navigator, she's first rate, but you would need to stop every one hour and fifteen minutes for nature breaks!

Edited by chiang mai

Used to do Krabi to Chiangmai in 20 hours, stopping off in Bangers.

Yeah right !!! Only times you ever did KrabStick to ChainPie was using Thai Domestic via Don Moo-ang - Now if you"d said Ubon to Chiangers I'd have believed you.

Rob1 - easy peasy to Chiangmai from Phuket - just keep the rising sun on your right and the setting sun on your left, ...... midday, do what the natives do and drive round in circles aimlessly :D:o

Gaz

The other posts are quite clear that you must bypass Bangkok. I have just driven this route, twice, but in the oposite direction..! I just moved house, and my cars, to Phuket. The first run took twenty hours, driving sedately in my old Land Rover. The 2nd time it took 19 hours in my wife's newer model, but we also took the slower, more scenic route through Ranong. Anyway, getting back to the northern section, you have an easy run after Kampaeng Phet, and it's also quite scenic. If I remember rightly, it took about 7 hours, depending on how often you stop. It's an excellent road, all the way up. Have fun, and drive safely..!