Compensation

toasted

I was driving back home alone from a round of golf a few weeks ago when the boys in brown pulled me over at a checkpoint and asked to see inside the car (and bags therein). Now, supposing there had been a small amount of illegal drugs, such as grass, in the vehicle and I'd borrowed in the car and taken the rap for the car owner - for whatever reason. How do you think I should be recompensed, assuming I'd ben hit with a jail sentence? How about if a Thai person took the fall?

And this is hypothetical, so don't go there.

As you'd be bounced from the country with persona non grata status upon completing your sentence, I don't think recompense to you would be forthcoming. If it were it would be to the degree of rarity of being struck by lightning in the desert.

And if a Thai person took the fall for a foreigner's crime, and let's say they were related (in-laws). Then what?

Then you'd have some bargaining to do. That the person could hold that over your head for life might make you want to consider bouncing yourself from the country. Yes, you owe them, but at what point will they be satisfied with compensation? Depends on the individual. A million baht may be enough for some, but there's no hard numbers anyone can give you aside from the hypothetical persons themselves.

I was driving back home alone from a round of golf a few weeks ago when the boys in brown pulled me over at a checkpoint and asked to see inside the car (and bags therein). Now, supposing there had been a small amount of illegal drugs, such as grass, in the vehicle and I'd borrowed in the car and taken the rap for the car owner - for whatever reason. How do you think I should be recompensed, assuming I'd ben hit with a jail sentence? How about if a Thai person took the fall?

And this is hypothetical, so don't go there.

Like anywhere else in the world, you cop the rap unless you can prove in court it's not your dope. Now what's wrong with that?

As you'd be bounced from the country with persona non grata status upon completing your sentence, I don't think recompense to you would be forthcoming. If it were it would be to the degree of rarity of being struck by lightning in the desert.

If you are convicted of possession on a criminal burden of proof, then judicial notice would be taken of the conviction and it will not be possible for you to make a claim against the car owner you (hypothetically!) allege was the actual possessor of the drugs. An action for compensation will therefore fail.

This reminds me of my law tutorials!

In the real world, better get two guys and a motorbike to pull up alongside him if that gives you any(hypothetical) satisfaction.

Andrew.