Sending Email To Thailand Sms Mobile Phones...

ThaiLover1

In USA, you can easily send email to any SMS mobile phone, using the following format for the main cellular phone carriers:

T-Mobile: [email protected]

Virgin Mobile: [email protected]

Cingular: [email protected]

Sprint: [email protected]

Verizon: [email protected]

Nextel: [email protected]

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

Does anyone know what the format is for sending email to a mobile phone using the True/Orange carrier in Thailand?

I tried contacting the True service department, but they seemed to have no idea what I was talking about.

PS This is a serious request - please hold any flames about the Thailand phone services.

Nils

Edited by ThaiLover1

AFAIK all mobile service providers here severely limit access to their email <--> SMS gateways, for obvious reasons (no need to make it easy for competitors to market directly to your customer base, no need to generate more non-billable network traffic, etc.)

Further, I believe all do offer the service but you must register for it, and possibly pay on a per msg basis. For One-2-Call/AIS subscribers the default addressing scheme is [email protected] but this will only work if the subscriber is registered for the "EMAIL 2 MMS" service. Once registered you can create an alias email address, like [email protected], which would be associated with your telephone number.

I received an email sent from ais mobile. Can I assume the mobile must be registered and therefore my email to it will be received as a sms? How can the thai mobile user check what the charges are for sending and receiving these sms/email messages? Or is there no charge for receiving?

Just quizzed my husband and he thinks it might be 9 baht to receive an email to your mobile number from overseas and 3 baht domestically. This info is a year old, so you should call AIS and check for sure tho.

Get a half decent GPRS package (20hrs a month) then you can send to <number>@mms.ais.co.th or dtac etc. the sender can also reply.....

Edit;

The way to test it, is to create an MMS email on the phone and sent it to your email account - i am assuming here you have a handset that is capable of GPRS....

Good Luck

Edited by phazey

Guest Reimar
Just quizzed my husband and he thinks it might be 9 baht to receive an email to your mobile number from overseas and 3 baht domestically. This info is a year old, so you should call AIS and check for sure tho.

I think is Baht 5 per e-mail but limited in size.

Yes i've used this in the past in order to operate my own push delivery service. ie. chunk up the message content into separate SMS messages and send as it arrives to my phone. I'd like to be able to do the same in Thailand but I don't

think it's free to receive SMS here and I suspect they are going to have captchas on their website when you want to send.

I once used LWP Perl code to automate the form sending process but again captchas defeat that.

I'm using 1-2-call so if a way exists I'd like to know about it.

In USA, you can easily send email to any SMS mobile phone, using the following format for the main cellular phone carriers:

T-Mobile: [email protected]

Virgin Mobile: [email protected]

Cingular: [email protected]

Sprint: [email protected]

Verizon: [email protected]

Nextel: [email protected]

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

Does anyone know what the format is for sending email to a mobile phone using the True/Orange carrier in Thailand?

I tried contacting the True service department, but they seemed to have no idea what I was talking about.

PS This is a serious request - please hold any flames about the Thailand phone services.

Nils

Q. does it cost to receive SMS to one-2-call number then?

AFAIK all mobile service providers here severely limit access to their email <--> SMS gateways, for obvious reasons (no need to make it easy for competitors to market directly to your customer base, no need to generate more non-billable network traffic, etc.)

Further, I believe all do offer the service but you must register for it, and possibly pay on a per msg basis. For One-2-Call/AIS subscribers the default addressing scheme is [email protected] but this will only work if the subscriber is registered for the "EMAIL 2 MMS" service. Once registered you can create an alias email address, like [email protected], which would be associated with your telephone number.

Lot's of mixing and mashing of applications in this thread; I'm basically sticking to the OP's specific issue.

I do not believe there is open free access to originate an email and have it delivered to a One-2-Call handset as an SMS. I think this service did exist ~ 3 years ago.

For general One-2-Call pre-paid accounts one does not pay to receive a voice call, an SMS, an MMS or an email EXCEPT for EDGE/GPRS charges, or minutes used, if that access is utilized.

One-2-Call pre-paid subscribers can register for the "EMAIL 2 MMS" program, whereby emails addressed to [email protected] will be delivered to the handset as an MMS over the GSM or GPRS networks. I believe you will have to pay per MMS based on whatever promotion you currently have, maybe 5 baht each? (I am not sure what happens if the handset is not MMS-capable, nor am I sure what the maximum message size is for MMS'es.)

I'll request the EMAIL 2 MMS program details and follow up here.

There are many other applications that can be supported; originating email, accessing POP email, etc. I have reasonably basic handset (Nokia 3110 Classic) which has a email application and I can pull emails down from any POP/SMTP server, for free except for the GPRS call time, and I can originate and send emails, again for free except for the GPRS call time. I have a monthly GPRS package, 25 hours for 107 baht.

I received a call-back from AIS (~ 3 min after sending an email!) informing me that the EMAIL 2 MMS program is no longer offered.

Note that there are many free and paid SMS gateways available. I use a paid service, www dot telemessage dot com which has an Outlook plug-in. So I initiate an email which gets delivered as an SMS. This service works reliably with One-2-Call and DTAC recipients; I think I pay 10 U.S. cents per message. I believe Yahoo Messenger with Voice has the built-in ability to send a message as an SMS. I tried it a few months ago and it worked to my phone.

The OP should probably provide more detail re: his exact application, then maybe we can come up with some specific alternatives and recommendations.

What I need is basically a way to email my own phone but not pay anything to do so.

I have a perlscript that parses all incoming mail to my domain and I'd like operate my own push delivery by using SMS to my phone as the mail arrives. In the states I simply email to the address and it's free. If I sent via email here I'm not going to be charged because cannot bill the sender but you're saying they do or don't bill the receiver? I'm currently an unlimited GPRS customer using Mobile Life with One-2-Call.

Lot's of mixing and mashing of applications in this thread; I'm basically sticking to the OP's specific issue.

I do not believe there is open free access to originate an email and have it delivered to a One-2-Call handset as an SMS. I think this service did exist ~ 3 years ago.

For general One-2-Call pre-paid accounts one does not pay to receive a voice call, an SMS, an MMS or an email EXCEPT for EDGE/GPRS charges, or minutes used, if that access is utilized.

One-2-Call pre-paid subscribers can register for the "EMAIL 2 MMS" program, whereby emails addressed to [email protected] will be delivered to the handset as an MMS over the GSM or GPRS networks. I believe you will have to pay per MMS based on whatever promotion you currently have, maybe 5 baht each? (I am not sure what happens if the handset is not MMS-capable, nor am I sure what the maximum message size is for MMS'es.)

There are many other applications that can be supported; originating email, accessing POP email, etc. I have reasonably basic handset (Nokia 3110 Classic) which has a email application and I can pull emails down from any POP/SMTP server, for free except for the GPRS call time, and I can originate and send emails, again for free except for the GPRS call time. I have a monthly GPRS package, 25 hours for 107 baht.

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions by the other members!

I do not use DTAC or AIS service, but simply wish to receive email to my True Move based mobile phone.

I run a PC application that sends out an important email alert when something goes wrong on my PC. It is important for me to know the status of my PC application when I am out for dinner or lunch etc. it would be most convenient to receive the email alert via mobile phone.

In fact, I tried sending OUT a test MMS message to my HOTMAIL account from my phone - as suggest in this forum - and it worked. The email received in my HOTMAIL account is using this email address as sender:

[email protected]

(xxxx is inserted to protect my privacy).

I then tried to send email back to [email protected], but nothing was received on my phone.

I made another trip to the True Move service office in Fortune Tower in Bangkok to ask how to send email to/from my phone.

On the first trip to this office they gave me all kinds of reasons why receive/sending email could not be done, but on this trip I showed them in a live demonstration how to send email to my HOTMAIL account. They suddenly changed their tune, and called in two other tech guys. I suddenly had three True employees working on my problem, and even the branch manager came to join in. He spoke perfect English.

Did you ever hear the joke about how many engineers it takes to screw in a light bulb? Well, I felt a bit like this joke was replayed in real life in front of my eyes in the True Move office in Bangkok. Why they need three guys talkign and doing things on the computer, for 45 minutes to fix my problem!? LOL

In the end, the manager finally understood my request and called some central True Move technician and told me the Email-to-MMS service will be available in the future. It is not eavailable now. Wow...

I told him that AIS has this service now, why does True not have the service? He just smiled, and I am not sure he knows why.

So, there you have it. I am still unable to find out how to use Email-to-MMS service with True Company. ANy more suggestions, or should I switch phone companies? LOL

POP email is not an option for me, as I want to be sound alerted when a MMS message comes into my phone. POP email is working on my phone, but it does not automatically pull new messages, like MMS messages. To receive POP email I have to manually make my phone pull for any new email. This is not exactly what I want.

Here is a nice breakdown of the history of mobile phone companies in Thailand, in case anyone is interested (scroll down to the middle of the page):

http://www.thailandguru.com/infra-phones.html

Edited by ThaiLover1